1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miles Austin to Miami?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I haven't seen enough of Miles Austin to have an opinion. I dislike giving away draft picks for RFA players, I'll say that much.

Worked out okay for New England on the Welker deal, though.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    True, but Welker still produced the year before. Austin's still raw and we're still trying to see what happens with London.

3. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Not going to happen. Plus I think our wide reciveing core is good reight know. We have bigger problems to adress this offseason.

azfinfanmang and djphinfan like this.
  4. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't think it'd happen either but I think our receiving core is anything but good. When some WR's alone nab more TD passes than our entire WR crew, that's not appealing.

steveincolorado and Kanye West like this.
  5. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    We will be better this year. All our wide recivers will have better relationship with Chad Penninton. Ted Ginn Jr will be better and bigger. Davon Bess will be coming in next season as a starter. Greg Camarillo will be back and healthy.

6. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Hard to be bigger when you've already hit your max height. :lol:

The FO has already shown inclinations towards acquiring a bigger WR (bigger as in taller than 6'2) as the missing piece next to a glut of short WR's.

7. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    I meant bigger like stronger. We have Tight Ends to be taller then 6'2

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Which is why the team was forced to put all TE's in some passing downs because our WR's are too short. I don't believe the FO finds that ideal either.

9. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    I am just saying right now there are bigger things that we need on this team. We dont need to give a 2nd round pick for Miles Austin. I mean If we want a big wide reciver we should go after Anquan Boldin.

10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    On offense, I think it's pretty much the glaring deficiency unless you also include RG/C. Definitely shouldn't give a 2nd for Austin. Boldin I still find unlikely and he's still not quite the tall WR I'd hope for (great complement to one or to have a young one groom next to though). I'd hope we draft a tall WR such as Robiskie or Britt.

Kanye West likes this.
  11. Kanye West

Mar 23, 2008
    Yea I would rather us draft a wide reciver then give away picks for Miles Austin.

12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If they can somehow swing a beck for austin deal Id jump in a heartbeat. Id be willing to even toss in a 6-7th rounder as well. But a second or even third is to much.

13. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I still disagree with Mel regarding the Jake Long pick. That pick will only look better each and every year, no matter what anyone else does. Which brings up the importance of LT or Oline, which is almost always overshadowed by the QB position for importance.

I can agree with him on the Ted Ginn pick, yes he's been slowly developing and might be a good WR next year or the year after, but for the 9th overall pick he hasn't played to that expectation. I was also shocked when we took him, but i am pulling for him to live up to that expectation and don't think it's impossible after last season for him to get to that level of play.

Mel needs to realize what our prospective situation was, we had a good feeling we coudl get a qb in round 2, we had 2 second round picks, and Jake long was the safest pick to turn into a very good starter. And we nailed it, there is no justification to make that pick look bad. It's like saying the year brady was drafted that every other pick is now terrible because in the 6 rounds of selections each team didn't take brady. Its nonsense, what all good football people know and understand, who cares what otehr picks end up doing, as long as your pick comes in and plays at a high level instead of being cut a year later then it can be deemed successful.

And finally in the comments I really like how the one person mentioned Leinhart. Mel was all over that guy much more so than Matt Ryan pre selection process and look what happened. Cutler turned out much better Mel, but funny how you didn't mention your own ravings that were "not right".

14. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Why do we want to waste a pick on a reciever in the same type of situation with one we already have in London. I have seen good things out of him so why waste a pick. I do like our young WR corps how it is unless we add DHB from UMD. That would make it more explosive. I guess we will just see how F/A plays out, but lets keep the picks.

gunn34 likes this.
  15. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm not sure I want a rookie receiver, but I'm developing a huge man-crush on Hakeem Nicks, and I really wouldn't be upset to get him at #25.

I've come to the sobering realisation that Anquan Boldin won't be coming here.

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is just a rehash of Mando's article from a few days ago, nothing new...somehow though, every ex-player that the Trio had any association with will be 'rumored' to be coming here...So Miles is no exception...

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see him here, but it's likely the 'Boys will match any offer for him...I doubt that they want to get rid of him...

17. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    austin could be pretty good. lots of potential IMO. if we could swap him for beck and maybe low round pick. id be happy

18. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with that, our receivers don't scare anybody. :up:

19. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Hes solid but hes close to what we already have.

Like a slightly faster version of Camarilo

20. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not quite a faster version of Camarillo and much closer to a slightly more polished Brandon London.

21. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I think Kiper just wants to start at Center for the the local YMCA team, anything that will let him bend over in front of the sexy QB of the year. Maybe he should see if he can be the "snapper" for the combine drills, then he could let em all stand tall behind him.

There are !!, thats ELEVEN players on each side of the ball and the QB isn't even the MOST important, except to Mel.

The Aqua Crush and azfinfanmang like this.
  22. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Am I wrong in thinking that Austin would be a pretty good size upgrade to our smurf squad?

And Puka, I totally 100% disagree that QB isnt the most important player on the team.

23. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    He would be if he were better polished as a WR. As of now, he's just slightly more so than Brandon London. Not worth a pick though I'd toss ol' man Beck in there for him any day.

24. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yep! that's who I really want with our 2a. I don't think he'll still be there, but I really hope so. That's the better way to go, IMO.

25. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Frankly I'm sort of wishing the phantom primadonna label prescribed to Britt by McShay drops him enough.

26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Ha! That's what I'm hoping for. ;) Our 2a pick is pretty high, so I'm now thinking there might be a chance. I hope.

27. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am really, really liking our pick at #44. I think that is going to leave us right in the area that WR's Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward-Bay, and Kenny Britt should go. One of those three will definatley be on the board when we pick there (I am personally hope it is Hakeem Nicks) and could help our WRs out greatly next year.

Some people are going to say No way Nicks is there at #44, but then again if I asked you this time last year "how many WRs would go in round 1 and who will be the first WR drafted?" Almost no-one would tell me the correct answers of 0 and Donnie Avery.

If we do not got WR with one of our first three picks I exspect us to use a later round pick (4th, 5th, or 6th) to get a End-Zone Receiver... A big, tall possession WR. Ireland believes in drafting players that fill a "role", well we certainly need a Go To Reciever in the End Zone... ahhh how I miss Orende Gadsden.

CrunchTime likes this.
  28. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Yeah UCF i am kinda feeling the same. I think we need a big Wideout that can make defenders cover the sidelines. I think it will depend who is on our board and if their there in Round 2. If not, look for a big body WR in the late rounds.

29. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I can think of a dozen QB's last yr that were pretty much interchangeable. The QB may be the most important player on Offense, debatable certainly, but my point is this is really a team game. You can't look at any 1 position and say this is the least important, we never need a player lined up here, this is the 4th most important position etc etc. Ya the QB is the leader by virtue of being the playcaller in the huddle and at the line, but the Dolphins proved he doesn't have to touch the ball every snap for the offense to move the ball. The C is the only player that touches the ball on every single Offensive player. Its a machine, and all the parts have to operate properly for it to function.

phinfanuk likes this.