1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Smith is first candidate interviewing

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jinx, Jan 4, 2016.

1. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    per Mando on Twitter.

2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Mike Smith looks like a traveling insurance salesmen. Even his name is "basic white man."

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He's not authoritative enough for this team, if you ask me.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Anyone watch Hard Knocks? During what would be his last season as ATL's HC, it was evident this guy couldn't coach for ****. Neither could his staff. No thanks... Don't even know why he got an interview tbh. Would rather hire Sparano again.

5. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Yeah, it was almost like he was an actor playing a head coach. Totally inept.

Clark Kent likes this.
  6. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I bought a used car not to long ago. It may or may not have been Mike Smith, but looked just like the guy.

MikeHoncho and Shane Falco like this.
  7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No problems here with him interviewing. I wouldn't be opposed to us hiring him either. I'd prefer others, but I wouldn't be upset...

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    A recent Smith article for you..

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/atlanta-falcons-ex-coach-mike-smith-won-t-let-dismissal-hold-him-down-122315

What you look for in a "retread" head coach. A guy who can have success, sit back, analyze the failure looking at himself, then learn from the mistakes (hopefully) and apply them moving forward. He may not be the best candidate, but he's far from the worst IMO. This is a guy with some coaching award hardware twice in his 6 years. You don't get that stuff being a bad coach, especially with a pretty bad roster (especially on D)

9. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    You guys are cold, funny but cold!

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    He looks like a car salesman to me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I bet they're just interviewing him to troll Miko Grimes.

As far as a retread coach, there are cases of success. Tom Couglin being the prime example. Compiled a good record with the Jaguars winning a few playoff games but putting up mediocre records in his last 3 seasons there. Then won two Super Bowls with the Giants. Pete Carroll is another example.

12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Would say Bill Bellicheck is probably the prime example.

Ideally I think you want your retread to have had some success, have his team do very well in at least one aspect, and him willing to look at his mistakes, own them, and learn from them. Also, you look heavily at their circumstances. Were they given a fair shot? Did they have a GM that gave them good talent or not? Were they in a dysfunctional organization? That kind of stuff.

That said, Mike Smith is about as uninspiring a coach as I could imagine us hiring. Pass please, unless he went to clock management and situational football schools.

13. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    mike smith's roster was stripped of talent and rep[laced with some of the worst draft picks ever... half of the players the falcons drafted during his tenure arent even in the league, and im not talking about late round picks... im talking about 2-3 round picks

14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It wasn't just about talent. He was often over matched in terms of coaching and play calling and his 2 minute and situational awareness were atrocious.

15. E.CANE

E.CANE New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I'll take Steve Martin

SICK and jdallen1222 like this.
  16. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Id rehire sparano as head coach and have Philbin as the offensive coordinator before I hire Mike Smith..