1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Sherman says the offense hasn’t become too predictable

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ays-the-offense-hasnt-become-too-predictable/

Mixing it up during the game would probably be more effective. :shifty:

MAFishFan likes this.
  2. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I'll add this to the things that make me go hmmmmmm.....as in why not try it in games, unless you are admitting THill can't do it, which doesn't make sense to me as he ran this offense in college.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Anytime an offense struggles, it is without fail going to be blamed on play calling. Reasonable, unreasonable, or complete non-sequitur.

Fineas, Ozzy, GridIronKing34 and 2 others like this.
  4. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Only thing I'd like to see more of is Tannehill rolling out. Seemed to be his strong point early in the year. Only thing I can think of is, his leg isn't near 100% yet, and they are trying to take stress off of it. Seems to me rolling him out would help this offense quite a bit, and I hope to see it soon!

Bumrush likes this.
  5. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I don't really blame the play calling. The players on the field look lazy as hell, imo. Lack of focus, effort, etc...

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agreed. seems to be an execution problem mixed in with some inaccuracy from the pocket from Tanny.

7. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Some people have recently complained about this, but I haven't had a problem with the play-calling. There are several factors which is hurting the execution of the O. I don't see the play-calling being one of them.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Execution seems to be the primary problem with Miami's offense as of late, run-blocking in particular. I think you could call into question some schematics of the plays being called. For example, leaving Jonathan Martin without help as often as Miami does is a bit alarming.

Berezo and Ozzy like this.
  9. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Complete BS. The Rams played the listless Jets yesterday and the Jets defense read the Rams like no tomorrow, why ? Rams OC is Shotty, the one let go by the Jets and he runs the same dam thing he ran while in NY. Execution on plays are one thing, a defense knowing the plays is another and Shermans offense is as readable as a childs first book with LARGE letters.

Hey, you people can stick your head in the sand all you want, Mike Sherman and his offense is what offensive. So I guess all of us guys that do not know nothing have to still put up with this dweeb and his dweeb QB from dweeb ATM for another season or two then all of a sudden BAM, they are gone and the " experts ' here suddenly realize Sherman actually sucked ? LOL, love it.

Like I said, watch the Rams game, yes the Rams that gave us a great game. Jets knew what play was coming and when it was going to be called. In every way possible the Rams are heads and tails better then the jets on both offense and on defense but like I said, the Jets defense was waiting on every play called by Schottheimer, every play.

10. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Leaving Martin without help often ? R U serious ? We have no more TE because Fasano is helping Martin block 70% of the plays. Martin is not an NFL starting OT no matter how many people like the kid. We have running plays where DEs have no one assigned to block them. We have running plays where guards pull and our RBs cannot block an artery. We have Reggie Bush as a featured RB when the entire free world knows thats not his gig. We have Thomas who counts to 10 by stomping his feet on the ground. We have Miller that has a tough time even opening up a play book and we have a 260 lb fullback that is completely useless and thats why 41 other NFL Teams/GMS decided to pass on the kid. We have WRs that cannot get seperation and cannot out jump a midget. But all I hear is how poooooor John Martin should be playing LT ? or Martin should get more help ? OMG people get a clue. Martin is not exactly a WC offensive tackle. Its real easy to block for a QB like Andrew Luck who is spectacular and was in college. Ryan Tannehill by any stretch of the imagination has close to the skills Luck has and does not have Lucks size and certainly cannot move like Luck. Blocking for Luck was a luxury

11. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, it's not. Literally every time an offense struggles, someone will call it play calling.

I think it's a pretty good sign that you're the first one rebelling against anything. You can pretty much set your opinion almost like a watch on your being wrong. For example:

No, it's more like 16%, which is the lowest of Fasano's career as a Dolphin by far.

That's not the design of the play.

Yet somehow it's quite likely both end up with 1000+ yards?

There is no such thing.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I hate that this immediately felt like it sounded familiar.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I find odd is the lack of using Reggie Bush's skillset as a receiver, I think DTrain is developing nicely after the early season hiccups, he's the only one who can plow for some yards behind this leaky Offensive Line.

I'd like to see JTrain get some more carries as well, simply put this ol is so brutal you need someone who can pickup YAC as there just is very little room to run.

Would like to see some toss sweeps to Reggie Bush or Miller.

BTW Sherman also said "..it's probably to late for Egnew to do much this year"

Nice, we sort of have whom we have unless CC9 and Matthews find their inner beasts.

14. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    That is my bad, it should have been Martin is not an NFL starting tackle, no way shape or form. If he was decent it would have showed and PLEASE, do not give me that BS it takes time. No it doesn't, if the kid was good it would have showed by now, it hasn't all season he is getting flogged on a regular basis even by run of the mill defensive lineman. Like I said, think what you want but Johathan Martin has no business starting as an OT in the NFL.

As I also questioned. Is Tannehill really better then Chad Henne ? Asked that before this weekend, also check my posts. You find weak spots on the Oline and I find completely different weak spots on the Oline. Thats a matter of opinion I guess but I still stand what I stated since camp. The right side of this offensive line completely blows.

By the way, you never answered my statement that in this offense, as in Shermans offense, we have guards literally barely chip a d lineman then get to the second level and the D lineman WAS to be picked up by the RB or it WAS to be a quick pass. Its this offense. Lots of people do not understand Shermans offense. Its ATMS offense when he was there, its no different, its not changed and it does not work, especially in the NFL. And yes, I have the entire offense. In short, If you have Joe Montanna in his prime along with Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, John Riggins and OJ Simpson as skill players, its a beautiful offense even if you and I play Oline. In short, Sherman should file for SSI benefits, soon.

15. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    My friend, fellow poster let me put it this way. JTrain would not be in the NFL if Sherman was not an offensive co ordinator again. 31 other teams saw his flaws FAR OUTWAY the fact he is a 260 running of which, he cannot push a pile or block good on a regular basis, thats been proven and thats how he is so why would a team sign him ? We did, on the purpose Sherman sold our GM on him. Not knocking our GM, all GMS like to give their OCs a player of their choice here and there.

In regards to Egnew LOL baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad pick from the get go. Again, I would have to imagine this was a good used car salesmanship job by Sherman to Philbin and Philbin to our GM.

As far as sweeps , yeah, me too also would like to see more passes to Reggie also. Problem with Reggie is and always was if he does not get a few steps moving he cannot break the simplest of simple tackles. Always been that way, always will be. Miller I cannot comment on because I am not a fan of the U but from what I know and what I have seen so far. The kid has a hard time recognizing his left from his right. I will not say more about that but it has to do with being dumber then a rock. Clay can also be included in that saying.

16. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    As has been discussed ad nauseum, our F/A class this year was perhaps the worst ever signed in the history of the NFL. You always should get 3-4 GOOD F/A out of your class, we have ZERO. and no, JTrain is not a contributor of any substantial measurement.

17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thigpen was a FA and at this point he probably is top 5 in Td's scored on the team..which is somewhat sad to think about actually.

18. juju.simba

juju.simba New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    i think its everything play calling ,unable to block on run plays and passing plays, lack of talent,playmakers , deep threat etc

i would have liked bush split out more as 3rd rec ,more 3 wr sets!!! thigpen given a chance as a 3rd down back who can split out as well , matthews and fuller given chances instead of such players as nannee ,armstrong,

alot more roll outs for tannehill, some reverses run ,and shots downfield more ,totally under used lamar miller !

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Lack of talent fits right in there imo

The offensive line has been downright offensive the last 3 games. But until Sherman installs plays that will beat the 8 man box, it's going to be a long season. Hard to do it with the way the talent is so thin though

20. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Yeah but Thigpen was here last year. When I refer to FA class I was not including FA that were on the roster for the prior year. FA class to me is the new FA brought into the club that played for other teams the year prior. If you look at that factor we struck out big time. Know what I mean ?

21. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    The 2010 Colts offensive line was heralded as one of the best with Manning under center. That same exact Oline in 2011 without Manning was hammered as being one of the worst in the NFL. They also had a new QB under center in 2011. Amazing isn't it.

Almost the same 2011 Oline for the Colts now has Luck under center and you tell me how that horrible group from 2011 magically transformed themselves. Believe me, its not rocket science.

Short and simple. We have a borderline QB, we have no skill players that are difference makers and included in that we do not have any WR on this football team that can out jump a 5 year old. Add even more to that, Mike Sherman has completely taken our TE out of the equation. Add add add to that, he actually thinks Reggie Bush can run, on a regular basis, in between the tackles. Honest, add it all up and you can take the best of the best Olines that ever existed and have them play against 8-9 in the box every game ? Yeah, it would not look much different. The list goes on and on. Take Marino out of the equation of all those great Dolphin teams. Could you honestly say the Oline would have looked as good as it did ? No. The Oline is the LEAST of or problems on this football team by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said, its not rocket science.

22. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I don't know how you think that the oline has been the least of the problems the last 3 games. It is a fact that the last three have seen some horrible play from the offensive line. I could care less what the Colts offensive line has done or is doing. This line is getting pushed backwards on an almost every play basis and no Qb in the world would fare well with the talent on this offense, with the way this line has been playing .............FOR THE LAST 3 games.

Also: The very first thing I mentioned was talent.

23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not uncommon in the slightest bit for offensive tackles to get their asses kicked early and in their rookie season and later perform well. Joe Philbin has experience with this with Brian Bulaga. Duane Brown, Branden Albert, etc and so on.

Yes, he is probably on the whole as a rookie comparable to Henne now.

The blocking rules are pretty much what they are around the league. This team isn't doing anything unique.

You've seemingly elected yourselves their spokesman.

24. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Meh, I have had some gripes with the play calling lately (I'd like to see a few screens, more first down throws) but it is far from the main issue. The main issues are offensive line, execution and lack of working the middle of the field. Those are all player issues.