1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Rosenthal on the radio

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dabeastdabone, Dec 13, 2007.

1. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    In Austin Mike sits in on one of the sports stations i believe one day a week. I can't quote him per word because I was driving but today some of his comments were something like this. First it didn't sound like he thought Cam would be around long. He also didn't seem to care much for Cam as a Head Coach. And he said there is no way he would ever play or have anything to do with the Dolphins after this year.

Take that for what it's worth but my take is the Dolphins currently are considered the arm pit of the NFL. And like it or not Cam is a problem with players and I seriously doubt him staying around one or two more years is going to change anything because what damage that was caused this year can't be fixed in a year or two...IMO things will just get worse.

2. azstryker

azstryker New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ya, I think Cam is done too. Just too many mistakes. I do not think Miami is the arm pit of the NFL. We have an owner that spends, one of the most desirable places to live, and a rich history of winning. Players know they come into a place where we will spare no means in getting this turned around. As soon as Cam is fired, some of the luster will be restored. Especially if we hire Schotty or Cohwer.

3. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    it can't possibly be the arm pit with the tax situation in Florida, players get to keep more of their money. That alone will keep most free agents at least interested. South Florida also beats Buffalo or Green Bay by a freakin' mile climate wise.
    Houck is great, Ronnie has a ton of talent, so we might have better luck with offensive lineman than say, wide receivers or cornerbacks.

4. WaywardZest

WaywardZest New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I forgot Rosenthal was even a Dolphin.

He didn't say anything new. Cam lost the veterans and has to go.

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Other way around. The veterans have to go. That's what happens when you rebuild.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    But rebuilding doesn't really involve attempting to set one of the worst records in NFL history.

7. WaywardZest

WaywardZest New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    So do we bounce our players every year, when they realize that Cameron isn't a Head Coach?

When you lose a player, you have to replace them. We don't have 53 draft picks, and if we keep going the way we are going, we would have to do that every year.

Its getting old. Look what Kubiak has done with a team that has been a lot worse than ours. Cameron can't do that.

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Who the hell is Mike Rosenthal?

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Because, clearly, Cameron goes into a game intending to lose it. :001_rolleyes:

You bounce the people who undermine your authority. JT has been doing that since Cameron was hired.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007

BINGO! He never played a down for us and will be a UFA next offseason... I like to refer to a famous quote from one of the best comedies of all time:

"There was one?"

11. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    But he is involved and knows other players. I still have to consider him a very good source.

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    sure it's not mike rosenfels...?

:innocent:

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

doesn't he play for the Texans?? :confused2:

14. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

that would be Sage, Nabo. and HE is not on the team.

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

:eek:

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :lol: i know. it was a lighthearted jab at another thread.

17. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    exactly what has Cam and this front office done (besides making us the short bus of the NFL) that you defend him? There is nothing to build on from this year.

Tell me, if the Vets already gave up on him, how long till the younger players do. The younger players learn from vets.

Cam is a horrible head coach. His previous EXP as a head coach should have told you that (Look up his record and then add it to this years record, It isnt pretty). We experimented with a talented OC at head coach and it failed miserably. A HEAD COACH HAS TO HAVE EMOTION. A DEAD FISH DOES NOT MOTIVATE A TEAM. CAM looks like hes bored out there and any time hes interviewed. SHOW some EMOTION. Show some sense of URGENCY. Show that this game and team means something to you. He has done none of that, and on top of that he has shown that he doesnt know when to kick the ball either way which is something a head coach needs to know.

Do me this, attempt in this thread to defend his lack of emotion. Tell me how he could motivate his team by his actions. Tell me what good it does to show that he really doesnt care what his players think. Tell me why he hasn't called anyone out.

If you say he made some strides with the offense fine, make him the OC, but dont let him drive us down the road we're going even further. HES NOT A HEAD COACH.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  18. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Rosenthal has not been in South Florida since August. It is quite possible that YOU know more about the current Dolphins than Rosenthal. Seeing as he took an 800,000 dollar check and didn't even make it to the beginning of the season, I'm sure Cameron doesn't think much of him as a player. I know I don't think much of him.

19. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It's not like he wasn't with us the entire offseason, participating in meetings, camps, preseason, etc.

So he didn't play during the season. Big deal. He saw how things worked. As a nine year veteran, he's been around the league. What he says has some weight.

There are plenty of holes in Cam's head coaching armor. And he's already lost that locker room. You can't just get rid of all the veterans. No, you get rid of the source of their frustration. I'd look at replacing Mueller as well, if possible.

20. zachblitz54

zachblitz54 Juck The Fets

Dec 9, 2007
    Totally agree. Teams tend to take on the personality of their coach. That is what has happened here. The Fins play confused, undisciplined, and emotionless. All traits of Cam, IMO. Cam has no control of this team or his coaches, he is not respected and therefore will never be a leader. Wayne made a terrible decision here and needs to realize it. The thing that worries me is that Wayne can sometimes be TOO loyal to his coaches and staff, even if it hurts the team. Hopefully, this team can somehow overcome all of this and pull out just one victory.

21. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    No veteran ever prefered a Marty Schottenheimer offseason nor inseason. I'm sure Cameron was following the same schedule. Too boot, he has entered the point in his career when he is KNOWN as depth. Dollars to donuts, I'd be willing to bet he is out of the league. He was pushed out of Minnesota and he ended up at the Dolphins. We know the Dolphins is the doldrum as it pertains to offensive line. He could not even start here. So what would that tell you about his demeanor of the league (in general) when discussing the topic on some radio station in Houston?????

Before some arrive at another Zod defend the coach again.....

I believe that if somehow this squad wins a game, Cameron is gone to the college ranks. If the Dolphins do not win a game, he is fired.

When Trent Green went down to injury this team could have started Cleo Lemon. The win tally would have been three games. We started the rookie. This is a mess that has taught me some lessons.

A) if you are going to start a rookie QB, you do it from day one (or at least AFTER you have won a game.)

B) no matter the pressure to play the rookie later in the season, you start the best chance to win (which would be your veteran backup)

C) As a fan, you don't ever ask to blow up a roster

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  22. Zod

Nov 25, 2007

Muck, this is just me and what I would do. If I was Cam Cameron and I was FORTUNATE enough to hang around another season these would be some of my offseason objectives......

Trade Jason Taylor for a pack of cigarettes if that is all I could get.

Send Keith Traylor into retirement a year earlier than we signed him for.

Kick the Miami media out of the building (again). I'd have a special plan for the Miami Herald. The Herald would have to pay for tickets if they ever gave a press pass to Armando Salguero.

I think Jason Taylor got the smoke signals when Joey Porter was signed. We all got the smoke signals when Joey Porter was signed. How would you feel if you were Jason Taylor and the front office signed Joey Porter?

23. rtamigo

rtamigo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    NYC
    I like your Moxie, Zod. Excellent post!

24. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

It did. Cleo started four games and led us to exactly zero wins. I agree that benching him was the wrong move but not because we remained winless (it isn't as if we were winning with him) but because there was nothing to be gained by starting Beck - just a lot to lose.

Here's the question: Name one rookie QB where this approach has actually worked and who is not named Peyton Manning.

25. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not a fan of a rookie QB playing AT ALL. I think the pressure just becomes to great to play him. He (the rookie) becomes a distraction for the entire team while riding the pine. Everyone outside of the team is screamning "play the rookie".

Every one keeps looking at the 1st and 2nd round quarterbacks saying that they are all busts. That seems to be the trend too but the one thing that is ignored in all of this mayhem is that a 5th or 6th round pick sits the bench for TWO-THREE years before he ever sees the field. I agree with Mueller in that you should draft a QB every year (if not every other year). I think you draft the prototypical (6'5" 220lb) that nobody wanted until those rounds. I think you keep him on the bench until injury comes to your starter. If he doesn't win in his opportunity (given two years on the bench) you release him the following year in favor of drafting another to be your 3rd string QB. I think following that succession is the only way you will produce a consistent starter for your squad in the NFL. Even if he does well and you don't think he's better than your starter, you can still trade him to a desperate team such as the Dolphins (AJ Feeley) for a second round pick.

26. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

We're on the same page then. I'm always flabberghasted by the arguments of the "start the rookie" bandwaggon. I've yet to see a single quarterback whose development was hurt by being redshirted in his rookie season (Carson Palmer sure didn't mind) but I saw quite a lot of rookie QBs whose career was ultimately killed by starting too early. See Joey Harrington, David Carr, Tim Couch ...

Other than happening to stumble across the talent of the century (aka Peyton Manning), a HC - in my humble opinion - has no business starting a rookie QB. Play him a couple of series - fine. But not starting. There's little to gain and everything to lose.

27. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 New Member

Dec 10, 2007

Dan Marino???

28. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Other than happening to stumble across the talent of the century ...

29. phinfan0202

phinfan0202 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    IMO Cam started making mistakes the instant he was hired. If i could i would bring back all forums that we had in the beginning of the year at the beginning FA and such. He said this team is just a couple of pieces away and that we need to retool not rebuild. He's taking the same type of attitude that dooms most teams and especially the Dolphins. I think if he wins some games his job is more than likely safe but other than that he's toast. I don't see how you could keep a coach that went 0-16.

30. Kinzua

Kinzua New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Jamestown, NY
    There were a lot of Bills fans saying the same thing about Dick Jauron last season and the early part of this one, but the fact is that however little emotion Jauron shows on the field, he motivates his team. The Bills have shown up to play for every game with the exception of getting steamrolled by the Putriots in their second game -- no matter how out-manned they appeared (ask the Cowgirls).

Tony Dungy is another low-key guy who isn't all bluster and tantrums on the side lines or in the locker room. In case you've forgotten, he won the Super Bowl last season.

If Cameron isn't motivating his players, then that's a problem for him, but it's not necessarily that Cameron isn't motivating his players because he doesn't rant and rave. Maybe the lack of talent can't overcome motivation? Maybe he isn't confident in his own vision, and the players think he doesn't know what he's doing? Maybe the issue really is that some vets have just quit (which is what happened in Buffalo in 2005 -- and those vets were sent packing -- worst offenders first -- when the Levy-Jauron regime came in).