Mike Nolan: Expect to see more of CB Sean Smith this week
15 replies
Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said Thursday second-year cornerback Sean Smith is showing more versatility than he expected he had when Nolan first saw him and expects Smith to play a lot of plays this week against Cincinnati.
In his weekly press briefing with the media, Nolan said he didn’t realize Smith could cover more than wide receivers, which he spent virtually his entire rookie year doing as a starting corner in every game last year.
“He’s been able to match up on tight ends, beginning with Minnesota when he was on (Visanthe) Shiancoe, when he did an outstanding job. He’s always been a good young corner, a guy who’s improving,” Nolan said.
Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:
yessssss :woot:
Co-Host of the Welcome to Perfectville Podcast

I love the idea of having vontae and allen on the recievers and smith on the tight end. Might as well switch to safety if they like him on tight ends IMO.
"madeinmiami2010 wrote:
I love the idea of having vontae and allen on the recievers and smith on the tight end. Might as well switch to safety if they like him on tight ends IMO.
Good idea until you see him (not) tackle. I'm guessing we want to match Sean up vs T.O. for size reasons, and put him on Gresham in obvious passing downs. I hope his time on the bench lit a fire under him, if not, he'll be getting roasted out on the field.
I don't think so. I think he'll be used for Gresham and for the rest of his career he may represent a new position of CB used exclusively for spread TEs. What was it called a star?
Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.
I haven't been terribly impressed with SS for some time. He just seems to lack the same hard-nosed tackling ability that VD possess. His coverage skills are also very suspect IMO. That said, if Nolan sees something he likes, and can utilize his skills at a certain position, or within a certain scheme, well...plug him in and let's see what he can do.
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
Now I really can't start the Dolphins D/ST. Ever.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
Does it bother anyone else that it took til this point for Nolan to recognize that?
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
Does it bother anyone else that it took til this point for Nolan to recognize that?
Good point anlgp.
Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:
"anlgp wrote:
Does it bother anyone else that it took til this point for Nolan to recognize that?
i think it was more of nolan's way of not bashing j.allen than anything else.more politacly correct to say sean smith has been impressing him and will get another shot than to say j.allen has been stinking it up and will be demoted.
"anlgp wrote:
Does it bother anyone else that it took til this point for Nolan to recognize that?
Not really. SS struggled pretty badly during pre season to the point that he lost his starting job and struggled a LOT at being physical and tacking during his rookie year. Thankfully he has improved in that department but I dont think it was obvious that he could be physical enough to play TE's.
Well, we all know Bell is complete toast against TE's...and WR's...and RB's...and FB's...and possibly QB's coming out of the backfield...(potentially cheerleaders).

The tight end is really a good matchup for his skillset...little slower, less quick of a player, I can trust him on.
There is a stat out there that has him playing a lot of reps at safety this year when he line's up..like 60/40.

"The G Man wrote:
I haven't been terribly impressed with SS for some time. He just seems to lack the same hard-nosed tackling ability that VD possess. His coverage skills are also very suspect IMO. That said, if Nolan sees something he likes, and can utilize his skills at a certain position, or within a certain scheme, well...plug him in and let's see what he can do.
This. At least from what I saw last year, if Sean Smith starts covering tight ends, the Bengals are going to get a lot of first downs because I don't see Smith taking down a tight end but hopefully he has improved in practice.
I think Sean Smith is pretty good. No lie.
Darrelle Revis = Greatest Defensive Player of All-Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsuLFxXi_aw