1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Lombardi says Pat White will have to be atleast a 2nd string QB if we're gonna..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    use him. He said that if he was a 3rd string QB he would be inactive, therefore he would have to be atleast a 2nd string QB if we want to use him. At first i felt this was unfair to Henne b/c i know we plan on using Pat White in the wildcat, but then i realized that Mike Lombardi is an idiot. This can't be true! Is it? lol. Isn't Hines Ward a 3rd string QB? or is it Antwan Randle El? anyway, i know its one of them and they're not inactive.

for those of you that are link nazi's, i heard this on nfl network today.

2. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Well Ronnie Brown played Quarterback in the wildcat, and he was not inactive. I don't get the point of what Lombardi said? Pat white can be a WR and still play in the QB position.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  3. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The third string QB on the roster is generally counted as an inactive, and if they come into the game, then the first two stringers can not re-enter the game. We can avoid this by making him active, but then we will have to have one other inactive player because our "3rd string QB" will be taking an active roster spot.

Edit: To clarify, being the third string quarterback doesn't mean the player has to be inactive.

4. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i know what he said was ridiculous! i almost didn't post it, but i was wondering if there's some rule about 3rd string QB's being inactive. i know its not true when talking about other 3rd string positions like a 3rd string RB plays all the time in a 2 back system as a 3rd down back. but who knows, there could be some stupid rule about 3rd string QB's. I seriously doubt it. i think its more likely that Mike Lombardi is an idiot. this is the same guy that was trashing Ronnie Brown and lying about the way he plays.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Right, the 3rd QB is typically inactive on game days and designated as the emergency QB.

6. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    thanks. so we can make a back up special teams player inactive and be done with it!

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No 't' in Nazi btw.

SICK and GISH like this.
  8. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    You can dress 45 players for a game, but if you want to dress 46, the 3rd QB makes the 46th player.

NJFINSFAN1 and 2k5 like this.
  9. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    This is why we have Pat White at WR. He is listed at WR and he plays at WR. We then have someone like Nate Longshore as 3rd string QB. His role is to be the Emergency QB and inactive. Remember, this is only for 1 year. Pennington is gone after this year. So this year we have 4 QB's on the roster, but 1 is listed at WR. Now White can play QB in the Wildcat and we don't break any rules. Yes...I know...this means we carry 1 more WR postion. So be it.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If you activate three quarterbacks, which you are free to do, this is irrelevant. People who are making a big deal about this dont understand the rule.

fins1, Nomina #76, Agua and 5 others like this.
  11. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I really doubt that we carry 4 QB's, nobody does that. It's going to be CP,CH and Pat White. Why carry another QB? If CP gets hurt, it's going to be CH at the helm. To make this work, PW is going to have a postion change.

12. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Who is the 4th QB? Beck was waived.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    au contraire mon frere.

Bucs had 4 QBs last year. :lol:

14. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Gruden would have carried 15 QB's if you would let him:wink2:

15. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    what are you talking about? LOL, i love the edit function.

16. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    If Pat White is officially listed as a WR then none of this matters right?

17. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only thing that matters is that Pat White, who most of us assume to be our emergency QB on the depth chart, will take an active roster spot because of his role in the wildcat instead of being inactive like most "emergency QB's." To my understanding, that means that we'll have to allocate that inactive spot to someone else, who otherwise could be active if we only had the standard 2 QB's active rather than 3. (Or 5 receivers instead of 6, depending on his listing)

If White turns out to actually be our 5th receiver though, the point is moot, because then we would just be having our 5th receiver as our emergency QB rather than an inactive 3rd stringer. Although we could still have one of our 8 inactive players listed as our 3rd string QB if someone on our roster of 53 was a QB.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. :up:

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    If Pat White can play WR than he can be active on gameday. With Penninton's injury history I woud not suggest having him as our 2nd rd pick

19. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They can just list him at WR.

padre31 likes this.
  20. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think if Hartline doesn't make an impact on special teams, he'll be on the practice squad or just won't be active.

It also depends IF Camarillo can come back in time from injury. Remember that he suffered his ACL tear in late November...

We will likely list White as a WR, but only carry two listed quarterbacks (Pennington/Henne) with White being our emergency quarterbacks. White will basically be our third quarterback, but listed as a wide receiver so the third quarterback rule doesn't come into effect for us.

21. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    The rule is if your 3rd come in the game to substitute for 1st - the 1st cannot come back in the game.

22. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    All three qb's will be active.. y'all are making issues where none will exist. If Pat's only skillset was qb, he would likely be designated the "emergancy qb" but because we will be using him in "other" roles, he will be active and we will simply ignore the "emergancy qb" designation and not use it. Somewher, an extra lineman or wr will not suit up, no big deal, guys that far down rarely play anyway unless it's ST's..

Zach13, gafinfan and Agua like this.
  23. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    It does open a pandora's box as it pertains to media related issues. If Pat White is planned to run "wildcat" he will have to be listed as the number two quarterback. Also if Chad Henne is listed as the number three and he somehow arrives under center, Pennington cannot come back in the game. That is my understanding of the rule. :shifty:

24. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    He will be listed as a WR................right? There is always a way around it.

25. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't understand how it can be explained repeatedly in this thread and people are still seemingly baffled.

This is only an issue if the Dolphins decide not to activate Pat White for a game, then they can designate him as a third QB and activate him if they need to at the expense of the other two.

He doesn't need to be listed as any specific quarterback number, nor does he need to be listed as another position, or anything like that. #3 QB is fine, just as long as he's on the active gameday roster.

Two Tacos and 2k5 like this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

He was referring to the deactivated 3rd QB who is dressed and doesn't count as one of the 45 active players, but once put in the game, the first and second QBs are ineligible to come back into the game. Ward is a 3rd QB, but he's listed as a WR therefore already part of the active 45 players. IF Ben and whoever #2 is are injured, Ward is their guy, but him being entered as the QB doesn't preclude Ben or whoever they have as #2 from re-entering the game as he is a WR.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

If that occurs, neither Penny nor White (or whoever is the active #2 QB) can re-enter the game.

28. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought this whole sh-bang got clarified in Seattle a couple of years ago. I remember the announcers were not too sure of their answer then neither. :lol:

29. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    He needed a clean up crew under the able after the Bucs drafted Freeman in the 1st round. He couldn't contain his excitement.

30. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    As I stated before, Nate Longshore possibly.

---
    Former California quarterback Nate Longshore has opted to try out for the Miami Dolphins rather than the Cincinnati Bengals KFFL.com reports.

Undrafted in the 2009 NFL Draft, Longshore has not been signed by the Dolphins, but will try out for the team in hopes of landing a contract.

Longshore (6-5, 230) threw for 6,783 yards and 51 touchdowns with 31 interceptions in four seasons with the Golden Bears. His best year came as a sophomore in 2006, when he racked up 3,021 yards and 24 touchdowns with 13 interceptions.

It's no surprise Longshore chose to try out for the Dolphins over the Bengals, as Cincinnati has already signed two undrafted quarterbacks in Todd Boeckman (Ohio State) and Billy Farris (Colorado State).

Longshore faces a tough battle to make the team even if signed. He's an extremely borderline pro prospect with a shaky collegiate career, and if the Dolphins view second-round pick Pat White as their third quarterback there simply won't be a spot available.

31. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    No. If he's listed as our third quarterback and he goes in the game, then Pennington nor Henne can come into the game. It's the emergency quarterback rule so teams don't have to waste an active roster spot on a third quarterback.

32. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    no he doesn't.. they just put him on the active roster and play him.. we can have twenty quarterbacks on the active roster if we want. ONLY the "emergancy" designation restricts play. We don't "have" to use it. All this means is there will be one less special teamer on the gameday roster.. there is NO issue here at all.

33. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    Found:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809f6279&template=with-video&confirm=true

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  34. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

he's not listed as a QB either. 1 and 2 can rotate in and out. 3 is an emergency player and if his designation is QB must be the last line of defense, so to speak. if the emergency QB is designated, for instance as a WR, then he can enter and leave as normal.

35. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is partially wrong. He can be listed as a QB, as long as he is not designated as the "emergency QB". However, he will be on the active roster of 45 players then.

This is different from the traditional method of having your 3rd string QB designated as an "emergency QB" and being listed as an inactive player, not counting on the active roster of 45. This is the case that the special substitution rules apply to. :up:

cnc66 likes this.
  36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So wouldn't we just list him at WR and then bypass the Emergency QB rule anyways?

37. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Don't think of the emergency quarterback rule as something that hinders teams, it's only there to benefit them. It isn't something that we need to find a loophole for. Lombardi is pretty much an idiot for saying this.

Since Pat White will be playing, he won't be listed as an emergency quarterback. However he will still most likely be "officially" listed as a quarterback. It doesn't matter one bit if he is listed as a QB or a WR as long as he is on the active roster, which the "emergency QB" technically isn't.

I think the thing that people are getting caught up on is that they are assuming that the third quarterback is automatically the "emergency QB". This is not the case.

To break it down, into what our roster will actually look like:

Quarterback:
    1. Chad Pennington
    2. Chad Henne
    3. Pat White

Wide Receiver:

1. Ginn
    2. Camarillo
    3. Bess
    4. Turner
    5. Hartline

All of these players take an active spot, so our QB/WR corps would take up 8/45 active roster spots.

A "normal" roster would look like this:

Quarterback:
    1. Starter
    2. Backup
    3. "Emergency QB" - Inactive (Special substitution rules)

Wide Receiver:
    1. WR1
    2. WR2
    3. WR3
    4. WR4
    5. WR5

This roster's QB/WR corps would take up 7/45 active roster spots, because the "Emergency QB" is considered inactive.

This active roster spot is absolutely the only difference. We will simply have one less active player at another position, such as linebacker, or perhaps we will only carry 4 active WR's.

So, in answer to your question, it doesn't matter if White is listed as a WR or a QB. I have no doubt that he will officially be listed as a QB though. :up:

This is my understanding of the rule. Hopefully someone can confirm.

38. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    lombardi is an ***.. not only did he make up the Ronnie Brown trade stuff, now he's too stupid to understand a very simple rule.

TiP54 likes this.
  39. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

London can dress and play special teams if Henne is #3 so Henne could be #3 some games even though he is our #2

40. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    disagree

Henne is our #2 but might might be our #3 on game day

Last year he was our #2 all year and did not come in before the 4th quarter for 16 games

I would rather have an extra player for special teams then Henne #2.

If Penny gets injured you play Henne and White can't play