1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Lombardi: Evaluating all of last year's first-round picks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mike Lombardi of SI.com said the following when he was evaluating 2007 first-round picks.

One of the things that Ginn has improved on this off-season is playing as fast as possible at all times. Another thing he improved on is catching the ball from what I understand. Last year, he displayed good hands in my opinion. He caught 34 of 36 possible balls. I think its a critical year in Ginn's progress toward becoming a better receiver. I think receivers should get three years develop but others have a different view on it.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the analysis is right on except for the hands part, i still think hes fast enough to overcome, but he needs to train his body more. he can get better but i admit thinking the exact same thing last year.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  3. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Exactly.

4. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

What does Michael Lombardi know? he used to work for the Raiders a few years back and as I recall, couldn't Draft worth a darn. the guy is just a talking head with no clue!!!

gunn34 likes this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, I do note some WR's come charging straight out of the gate (i.e. Bowe, Colston, Fitzgerald, Boldin) and some in their 2nd year (Marshall, CJ). But in Ginn's case, I think 3 years should be it. Somewhat raw as a receiver so probably still needs refinement on route-running and continued improvement with his hands.

6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Yes the guy is a moron.

This guy [​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sports media organizations should really stop employing poor ex-GMs just on a quality control basis. The point is to give insightful and accurate analysis, not to just attach a name to an opinion pulled from one's backside.

Get me a guy like Mike Mayock, and I'll listen, particularly after his startlingly accurate draft predictions this year.

alen1 likes this.
  8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    what a jerk...

how efn stupid is THAT statement.. it tells us everything we need to know about how much he has actually watched Teddy.. idiot

gunn34 and The Aqua Crush like this.
  9. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Actually, I think Ginn has been quite a surprise to alot this camp. His hands have improved, his route running has improved, the catches he made against Jacksonville were solid plays. (I only saw the highlights) The one he had great separation and was an easy throw and catch, the second he made a nice catch and eluded the big hit. Overall, our WR's are probably better then I thought they would be at this point, and Chad throwing accurate passes will make them even better.

alen1, Fin Fan In Cali and gunn34 like this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Love listening to Mayock. Very intelligent man.

11. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I think it's critical to his career as Parcells and Co. have shown no hesitation to get rid of anyone that doesn't fit their mold. He has to impress the new boss.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think hes improving at a nice pace but noone can me tell that they didnt think he would be much more explosive on the field, he does lack lateral quickness and explosion, its why he got tripped up 100 times last year from behind and the side, listen i love tedd ginn, i predicted us picking him and was happy we did, but i would be lying to myself if i didnt say i was dissapointed in his play last year. once again i feel with training of his body and maturity itself will do him so much good, i expect a solid year from tedd, eventually becoming a legit number one.

13. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    He's also put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle and has worked hard on escaping the DB's jam at the line of scrimmage.

alen1 likes this.
  14. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't have the slightest clue how you could watch Ginn last year and come away thinking he needed to improve his pass catching ability. I haven't seen him in camp, where its been said the WRs are dropping a lot of passes. But I haven't heard Ginn singled out often and he has caught just about everything in the two preseason games. Either I'm watching something different or I agree with you guys that he is just making this stuff up.

alen1 likes this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This may have been a somewhat accurate assessment at the end of last season...Ginn has made some adjustments and improvements to his technique and has shown that off for most of OTAs and camp. So it's probably not an accurate assessment right now....sure, with a new regime, he may have to "show more", but that goes for just about everyone on the roster doesn't it ??

16. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    This is just one mans attempt to sell a paper. His opinion is just his. It did start a topic in this forum, so you could say it worked.

17. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007

Lombardi is one of the brightest minds in the sport and was an integral part of the 49ers when Bill Walsh was winning SB after SB.

So to your question, 'what does he know'.......the answer is a lot more than you.

NJFINSFAN1 and Stringer Bell like this.
  18. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Thing is, he HAS been inconsistent catching the ball in camp and Lombardi is a very well liked 'insider'. He worked a long time with Belichick and knows Parcells very, very well.

19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    How about when Lombardi says this:

""If I were any team playing the Miami Dolphins late in the year, I would be worried. The Dolphins will be a fundamental team, sound in their technique and less scheme driven. Teams driven by fundamentals improve week in and week out in the NFL and are the most difficult to play in November and December. Remember, Miami lost six games by three points or fewer in 2007."

Is he still a 'douchebag trying to sell magazines who got fired from the Raiders'?

Stitches likes this.
  20. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    even if Lombardie is an NFL genius does it amount to a hill of beans when it comes to Ginn, his ability, and what he will and can do for us this season?

one man's opinion does not have an impact to on field performance.

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lombardi is legit, I dont know what everyones fussing about.

Stitches and Boomer like this.
  22. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Why do we have a fan forum for discussion if we aren't giving opinions?

And you're presuming Ginn will be all that and a bag of chips this year.

23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

He once got fired by the Raiders you know.

:no:

24. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, because Al Davis knows so much about running a football team so well. ::shifty:

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    i didnt say we cant discuss, obviously we are, but regardless of anyones opinion, its just guess work and predictions. so how can Lombardies opinion be a kiss of death when in reality he is guessing.

whether you or i or others agree or disagree with this opinion it does not equal what can happen and ginn's role and potential.

Pennington and the Oline plus play calling will have a far greater and direct impact then his opinion.

26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Shut the thread after this:

"Back in '86 with the 49ers, when there was no free agency, we entered the draft with many Team Needs. However, on April 29 -- draft day -- we crossed off many from our list and set the franchise in a Super Bowl direction for years to come.

We held the 18th pick in the first round that year. We desperately needed a pass rusher and wanted to add a new dimension to our running back group. At the 12th pick in the draft, Walsh instructed me to go to the blackboard (remember, this is '86, all there were were blackboards) and write down these three names in the following order.

Gerald Robinson, Defensive End, Auburn

John L. Williams, Running Back, Florida

Ronnie Harmon, Running Back, Iowa.

The Vikings, picking 14th, snared Robinson, and I erased his name from he board. The Seahawks, picking 15th, grabbed Williams, and another one went off the board, and then the last bomb hit at 16 when the Bills grabbed Harmon. The blackboard was empty. Walsh, being a creative genius, had to determine what we would do next.

As we waited, we had offers from Buffalo to move to the 29th pick, which we accepted, and then had another offer to move all the way down to the 39th pick from Detroit -- which also seem to fit our new trade down plans. Before we finally selected a player, we had collected three third-round picks, three fourth-round picks and a first round pick for the '87 draft. (We traded one of the second-round picks we collected to Washington for its first-round pick in the next year).

It was like Walsh conducted a draft day clinic moving around the draft, but the real success came in the players we finally selected. At 39 we selected a very good defensive tackle, Larry Roberts, from Alabama. At the 56th pick to start the third round we selected fullback Tom Rathman from Nebraska; at 64 we selected defensive back Tim McKyer from Texas Arlington, and we closed out the third round selecting a wide receiver from Delaware State named John Taylor at 76. So with the third round completed, we had added three starters and crossed three needs off our list.

We started off the fourth round with the 96th pick and selected defensive end Charles Haley from James Madison, then offensive tackle Steve Wallace from Auburn at 101, and finally at 102 we closed out the fourth round by selecting an injured but soon-to-be-healthy defensive end from Miami named Kevin Fagan. Another round completed and another three starters added to our team.

In the fifth round we were running out of quality players to select and someone in the room was pushing for linebacker Pat Miller from Florida. Walsh was reluctant to select Miller because of some off-the-field information, but nevertheless, Miller became a 49er. But as the sixth-round began, Walsh was disgusted and determined to not have someone force a player upon him. He walked over to the defensive backs board for his own review. "Michael, what about this kid Don Griffin from Middle Tennessee State," he asked.

"Coach, I replied, he is the Ohio Valley defensive player of the year and we have some excellent grades on his play." Walsh then told me he is the next pick and to get him on the phone. Another round passes -- another need solved and yet another starter for the 49ers championship teams."

That's why Michael Lombardi can say what he wants about Ted Ginn, as he was one of the architects of the greatest draft of the modern era. End of discussion.

27. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

He's all over the people that are running the Miami Dolphins. If anything, I'd trust Lombardie's opinion over ANYONE working the league.

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    wait a second, he can write about 1986 after the fact to recap success in hindsight and in your mind that means he can predict the future?

ok, close thread!

29. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He could be right about this year being critical to Ginn, he wasn't drafted by parcells and we all know he does not have loyalty to people he does not draft.

30. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    fair enough, but what is your opinion on Ginn and how do you see his 2008 shaping honestly?

31. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    NO! NO! The good stuff WE LIKE and revel in. :yes: He sounds extensive in the ways of wisdom here. A veritable football sage!

It's just... if we hear something bad... whatever the source... the namecalling HAS to come out. Can anyone really blame us? :wink2::shifty: What else would you have us do?

32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    wouldnt disagree with that at all.

33. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Steve Wallace and I played on an intramural church softball team in college my freshman year. Suffice it to say, he was a much better offensive tackle than he was a softball player. Don't quote me on this, but I think he may have even struck out once, if memory serves.

And... it's tough to strike out in slow pitch softball. Not much you can say when you trod back into the dugout. Whew, mean curve ball. Uh, yeah, right.

Of course, if memory serves, no one laughed at him.

34. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He was one of the main people behind drafting Larry Roberts, Tom Rathman, Tim McKyer, John Taylor, Charles Haley, Steve Wallace, Kevin Fagan and Don Griffin in the same draft.

I'm not sure what your point is.

35. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think he has the ability to have 75 catches, 800+ yards and 8 touchdowns as well as 6 return touchdowns. Can he do it?

Different story.

I know that he's had trouble creating seperation in camp and has been a little up and down. But the weight thing is better and he DOES have good hands. We'll see. We are a little impotent on offense, so teams will gang up on him.

36. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Hehehe.

37. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    he's still an idiot for saying Ginn can't catch, and that it is a "concern", I don't care what his credentials are..

calphin likes this.
  38. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

That would depend on the question!! thanks for the personal attack... hope you feel better!!

39. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Marty - I don't think he said "Ginn can't catch" and what he wrote would ONLY have come from someone at Miami. Lombardi isn't Salguero. He doesn't do throwaway comments. He deals in fact.

40. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Do you consider that a personal attack?

I consider it fact. On this subject, Lombardi knows more than you. If that's hurting your feelings, then so be it. But the fact remains.