Microsoft Wins E3?

53 replies

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury BoxOP
Jul 17, 2008, 04:48 PM

This week's E3 Media and Business Summit in Los Angeles gave each major console maker -- Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo -- the chance to showcase the future of their platforms.

Microsoft added social functions and new entertainment options to the Xbox 360 Latest News about Xbox 360, Sony trumpeted a video store and an upcoming price cut for the PlayStation 3 Latest News about PlayStation 3, and Nintendo gave gamers a glimpse of a new controller add-on and upcoming games like "Wii Sports Resort."

However, if any of the Big 3 could be said to have "won" E3 this year, then Microsoft takes the top prize, according Mike Goodman, director of digital entertainment for the Yankee Group.

"Sony has gone a long way to fixing their core problem -- a lack of titles people want to play. But a big shot across its bow was the Square Enix 'Final Fantasy' announcement. Talk about a slap at Sony. I heard they didn't even know. And they have to be unhappy that one of the exclusive supporters of the PS3 has essentially stepped into the enemy camp. That is a huge statement about the PS3 and says you can't count on Sony for exclusives anymore," Goodman said

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/63839.html

Ouch, if Enix really didnt tell Sony prior to dropping that bomb they have to be pissed.

Honestly the only thing I care about that came out of this E3 was the netflix streaming to the 360.... I just hope Netflix keeps adding more movies to their instant collection because right now there isnt a tone of good stuff there.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Jul 17, 2008, 04:55 PM

I think so. I didn't really see Sony drop something big. You can say Mag but that looks like a game that wont be around for awhile. You can say GOW3 but that wont be out this year. I'd say the best games are coming to the 360 this year.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Jul 17, 2008, 05:02 PM

You are the first person I have ever seen refer to Square-Enix as just "Enix." lol

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Jul 17, 2008, 05:14 PM

"Stitches wrote:

You are the first person I have ever seen refer to Square-Enix as just "Enix." lol

I'm just that cool. :pointlol:

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Jul 17, 2008, 05:22 PM

"dolphan117 wrote:

I'm just that cool. :pointlol:

You must be a HUGE Dragon Quest fan.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

TheAnswer385TheAnswer385Forum Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 05:31 PM

I would say 360 won but sony made some nice things happen to close in a little bit. I was impressed with their little big planet.

dolphan117dolphan117Luxury Box
Jul 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

"Stitches wrote:

You must be a HUGE Dragon Quest fan.

Actually I have never even seen it, I just abbreviate everything. :lol:

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 06:18 PM

Yeah I think Microsoft came out with the biggest buzz. The SE thing was a bigtime deal for them. Sony wasnt bad, but it just wasnt all that great either. The biggest buzz seemed to be over games coming out next year as opposed to this one. And during their first big state of the company presentation they yakked way to much about the PSP and (wtf?) the PS2. Umm guys, you roll out your big boys here, not go back to the PS2.
From what I hear though, Sony just wont pay much if anything to keep a title exclusive, whereas microsoft will. This gives the 360 a big edge if true, and makes alot of sense when you see things like the SE move.

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 10:27 PM

Honestly can anyone think of one exclusive game or announcement that Microsoft showed that wasn't the Final Fantasy announcement (which isn't even an exclusive) that has anyone excited? I can't, so if that one announcement was taken out then everyone would be saying what a weak performance Microsoft had. Really what did Microsoft show that has anyone excited especially games wise? I agree the FF announcement was huge but other than that the Microsoft presser was mediocre to bad.

Actually I thought that Sony has the better lineup but that is getting overshadowed by the FF announcement.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

Jul 17, 2008, 11:04 PM

Other than the Final Fantasy Announcement, Nobody won E3.

Yeah we know about games like Resistance, Gears, RE5, GOWIII that are going to kick ass but there hasnt been real shockers other than the FFXIII announcement.

Mirror's Edge looks intresting thouugh

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

Phinz420Phinz420New Member
Jul 17, 2008, 11:22 PM

"Mike13 wrote:

Other than the Final Fantasy Announcement, Nobody won E3.

Yeah we know about games like Resistance, Gears, RE5, GOWIII that are going to kick ass but there hasnt been real shockers other than the FFXIII announcement.

Mirror's Edge looks intresting thouugh

256 player MP didn't shock you any?

Jul 17, 2008, 11:31 PM

"Phinz420 wrote:

256 player MP didn't shock you any?

I'm wondering how the hell they are going to pull it off.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 11:47 PM

"sking29 wrote:

Honestly can anyone think of one exclusive game or announcement that Microsoft showed that wasn't the Final Fantasy announcement (which isn't even an exclusive) that has anyone excited? I can't, so if that one announcement was taken out then everyone would be saying what a weak performance Microsoft had. Really what did Microsoft show that has anyone excited especially games wise? I agree the FF announcement was huge but other than that the Microsoft presser was mediocre to bad.

Actually I thought that Sony has the better lineup but that is getting overshadowed by the FF announcement.

Gears 2, Too Human, and Left for Dead (exclusive console wise) are 3 really nice ones.

There isn't a PS3 game I want until 2009.

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 01:58 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Gears 2, Too Human, and Left for Dead (exclusive console wise) are 3 really nice ones.

There isn't a PS3 game I want until 2009.

Well I know that Gears 2 and Too Human were announced way prior to E3 so those are something we already knew about. Left for Dead I'm not sure but Microsoft really didn't pull out anything interesting past FFXIII. That's my opinion anyway.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 02:35 AM

"sking29 wrote:

Well I know that Gears 2 and Too Human were announced way prior to E3 so those are something we already knew about. Left for Dead I'm not sure but Microsoft really didn't pull out anything interesting past FFXIII. That's my opinion anyway.

True, but they were showed and discussed in much more detail.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 02:56 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Gears 2, Too Human, and Left for Dead (exclusive console wise) are 3 really nice ones.

There isn't a PS3 game I want until 2009.

You want Too Human? So do you like bad games?

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 03:00 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

You want Too Human? So do you like bad games?

I wouldn't say its bad, still not as big as a let down like Lair.

Phin-o-ramaPhin-o-ramaNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 09:18 AM

"Phinz420 wrote:

256 player MP didn't shock you any?

believe it when i see it from sony

just like home...

and Fable 2 looks to be one of the coolest games coming out on either system

MotionMotionNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 09:27 AM

I can't even imagine the size of the maps for a 256 player game.

Get Up And GoGet Up And GoNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 09:38 AM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

I wouldn't say its bad, still not as big as a let down like Lair.

Lair is better then what a lot of people say. Factor 5 really messed it up though by putting in the same format as the Rouge Squadron games.

UltraUltraForum Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 09:51 AM

I agree with those that said nobody won. Microsoft touted games we already knew about...and then screwed us out of hearing what Bungie was working on. Little Big Planet from Sony looked cool, Wii had nothing I cared at all about.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 10:09 AM

"Motion wrote:

I can't even imagine the size of the maps for a 256 player game.

I'm going to say something around Battlefield 2 or Unreal tournament 2K4 onslaught maps. They make maps too big because that takes away from shooting.

"Get Up And Go wrote:

Lair is better then what a lot of people say. Factor 5 really messed it up though by putting in the same format as the Rouge Squadron games.

Well for the hype it was receiving. Hell when I saw the game I was inclined to get a PS3, but I rushed and got a 360.

Actually the PS3 is looking very good in my eyes. I didn't know they were getting streaming TV, I hope the PS3 can act like a DVR that would SWEET!

Get Up And GoGet Up And GoNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 10:22 AM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Actually the PS3 is looking very good in my eyes. I didn't know they were getting streaming TV, I hope the PS3 can act like a DVR that would SWEET!

I'm pretty sure DVR is on its way. I thought I saw that Europe was getting it in September.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Jul 18, 2008, 10:26 AM

I think they are. Damn it I wanted to hold off on getting a PS3!

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Jul 18, 2008, 10:28 AM

I don't care about DVR, I have that, I want the PS3 to update their flash player so I can actually watch videos on most websites.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU