1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Clay UDFA LB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, May 11, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Kid's been discussed. Really hope he can become a ST demon for us.

Thought this was an interesting tidbit on his pro day (in an article on Jordan):

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/03/oregon_ducks_dion_jordan_recov.html

Zach Thomas was 5'11, 228 coming into the league. What I like about Clay is how aggressive he gets when he sees the opportunity. His 5-7 yard burst to a ball-carrier or QB is excellent. He just explodes and gets after it. Reminds me of Zach and Izzo in that respect.

Would love to see another wrecking ball type kid who hits hard. Seems to be a dedicated worker and has some maturity about him as well ..

[video=youtube;J5Dg2UGCtCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Dg2UGCtCo[/video]

gunn34, Den54, Larry Little and 5 others like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I do hope he beats out Spitler and Trunsik...

Wouldn't it be cool if all three ducks made the squad, Jordan, Clay and Kaduu..

It's good for our blue chip to have his buds around.

jegol71 and NCFINFAN like this.
  3. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Some of our UDFA linebackers are looking pretty good.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    would love to have good LB depth for once

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I like Michael Clay, but I think ultimately he's the kind of guy that is going to be a fan favorite with a little bit of early success and I'm not sure if I'm being drawn into that though.

It's hard not to envision a guy like this slipping through the cracks. It happens, from time to time. I think Dolphins fans are going to be particularly sympathetic towards this kind of story. I was especially sold when I saw him sniff out and drop a reverse in the backfield like Zach Thomas used to do.

Da 'Fins and djphinfan like this.
  6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think the comparison to Zach Thomas is right on target with Michael Clay. Like Thomas, he's an undersized but cerebral player. He doesn't have the size you like, but, when you watch film of him, the guy just plays the game the way it should be played. A buddy of mine is an Oregon fan, and he told me Clay has crazy football-smarts. He was basically the QB of the Oregon defense. Often times, when a player overcomes a lack of optimal physical tools in the NFL it's due to what's between his ears. Clay has exactly that. I just love the way the guy plays the game.

I know it's bold to say right now, but, I fully expect him to beat out one of the backup LBs and make the team. I also expect him to become a beast on special teams. It also would not surprise me if Clay wound up pushing the starting LBs. Clay is my #1 seed for this year's 'Davone Bess UDFA of the Year' award.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Been watchin more and more, he makes plays in big situations, his rosé bowl last year he had a great game, and that's against a great running back and oline, he patterns his game after London fletcher..I want him to make the team.

8. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    He and Kovacs are two UDFA's that will be interesting to watch, both just pure football players who might not have the measurables but have the heart.

Plus, you can never have enough players named Clay on the roster. :yes:

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    If he is close to Zach Thomas, we have a winner.

10. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011

Hope you're right...I know spitler and trusnik are solid players, but theyre nothing special. I have zero problems getting younger and smarter with our depth.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think both of them are gone. Spitler has been a pretty good player for the Dolphins, and Trusnik is someone who I have been disappointed in. However I think Miami is going to go younger and cheaper here. If Jenkins and Clay or maybe even Kaddu show they can be decent at special teams, Spitler and Trusnik are gone.