1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's Unanswered Question

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zodiak, Jan 6, 2008.

1. zodiak

zodiak New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Dolfans

Again as the post season unfolds we see the importance of the QB position its no coincidence that the remaining teams QB's are guys named Brady,Manning & Favre in fact you can look back a few seasons and see that two QB's drafted #1 & #4 overall have thier teams into the divisional playoff round, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers have matured into playoff calibur QB's and thier teams are benefiting.

As for the dolphins they sit and wonder do they have a QB that can get them to the post season some will say yes, some no....for me its ummm not sure.

John Beck didnt show much in the way of promise but an argument could be made that he didnt have much talent around him based on the play of Green and Lemon thats a strong point of contention.

The other perspective his Beck at best maybe a servicable QB but with the number 1 pick
    miami should look to finally fill the shoes Marino left empty and find the "franchise QB"
    some say its Matt Ryan others may claim Brian Brohm again I say uhhh not sure.

I am glad Bill Parcells and his dallas brain trust are here to make that choice for us, my gut says that if the feeling is that Ryan is an NFL calibur QB that can start for 10 years the phins will make Matt Ryan the #1 pick

For now the QB position in Miami remains an unanswered question.

2. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Rex Grossman, who can't hit the broadside of a barn went to the Superbowl last year. Rich Gannon, nothing special went to the Superbowl. Brad Johnson, nothing special about that guy but the Bucs won a Superbowl with him. All had great defenses and a decent quarterback who could make throws. We just need to get someone in here who can make passes, we don't necessarily need a superstar. I'd much rather see us spend a first pick on defense, where we just finished last in the league. That's just my opinion though.

3. Captain lou

Captain lou New Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with overall supporting casts! Farve was a back up in Atlanta before Greenbay traded for him. We have no idea what Beck can be considering he was set up to fail by an untalented and undercoached football team! Get over it Beck will be our guy heading into this season!

4. BSQ

BSQ New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    We have to get some young studs on defense and as far as offense we should get some o-line help, tight end and wide reciever before any QB has a chance to look good here. I think Beck will end up being the guy. I'm not sure Rivers or Manning are better QBs than John Beck. You've got to give the kid a supporting cast. Then judge him.

5. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Syracuse, New York
    Actually Rich Gannon won the NFL MVP award and went to several Pro Bowls. I wouldn't call him "nothing special". I agree with you to a point that we don't necessarily need a Peyton Manning to bring this team back to contention, but I'm sure Parcells and Ireland (and whomever the new head coach is) will give serious thought to getting a stud QB like Brian Brohm or Matt Ryan.

6. dabeastdabone

dabeastdabone New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    People will say otherwise I'm sure Parcells would have picked a QB in the first if he were running the show, Quinn I'm thinking.

I think the Dolphins are forced to stick with Beck for at least another year, maybe the 1-15 season and a team full of holes forced that hand. If Parcells does draft a QB late that to me speaks volumes of what he really thinks.

IMO Cam set the team back a couple years with his draft and player dealings. We may not draft the future QB till next years draft. And how can you sit Beck out another year at his age, I don't think itg's realistic.

7. johngarry

johngarry New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    "There is another..."

As ye olde Yoda did utter...Big T may have the progeny of a former apprentice in mind...named Simms.:shifty:

8. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Just like everthing esle in life the QB we need depends on the system we will employ. the talents of the qb selected. How thoose talents fit into that system. And if those two don't match. What do you do?
    If the QB is a can't miss prospect. then talyor the system and the talent to each other. But that's a BIG risk. If you blow it and pick wrong, your screwed. Are we looking for a pocket passer or a runner, maybe somthing in between. I really do believe to compete for a long time we do need a stud QB. They just don't grow on trees. I don't really see any can't miss QB prospects in the upcomming draft.
    The free agent pool is also poorly laking any real studs, except possibly anderson. I will say a good oline that passblocks well can help out a qb. Thats maybe the real priority, the online. Even average qb's can look good when they have time to throw.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. Danny

Danny New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    We went to a superbowl with David Woodley at QB....We don't need a super star at QB....not saying that it wouldn't be nice to have one but what we need is a great TEAM and not A great QB....we had Marino for 17 years and never won the big game....Bill knows what he's doing...he's gonna built us a TEAM.

Ozzy rules!!

10. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007

No question..., but what a good offensive line..., again it's time to invest in some top quality pork up there... RB would also appreciate it...

11. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey

IMO There isnt one Qb in this draft that is worthy of a top 5 maybe even a top 10 pick let alone the 1st.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  12. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

I really dislike trading a pick for the 4th straight year on someone elses QB.

Forget about progeny, and simply let Beck be his new prodigy.

13. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    These are exceptions to the rule bud.

Also Grossman and Gannon didn't win it.
    You can always point to exceptions, I mean look at Trent Dilfer. THe guy could never win or hold down a starting job yet he was on a team that won the Super Bowl in spite of his lackluster talent at arguably the most important position on the field.

You don't want to rely on your team having to overcome a gaping hole where a top leader should be. That's seriously flawed strategy.

Having said that, I'm not one in favor of drafting a QB 1st overall.
    If we traded down and some of the top prospects weren't still available then maybe but if we stay put we'd be ignoring some top talent to take a shot at another QB prospect.
    I'm in favor of thinking about taking a QB prospect with a 3rd rounder on down.

14. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    And that team didnt score an offensive touchdown for something like 5 games. They won solely because of their defense

15. phinfan0715

phinfan0715 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I agree Defense and offensive line should be the first priority in the draft.

16. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    An upgrade on the line (both sides) is critical at this juncture - whoever we have behind center can't be getting killed on a regular basis (see Beck) and we can't let the opposing team control the clock with run after run on our shoddy defensive front. While QB may be an unanswered question at this point, we don't have anything remotely resembling an acceptable surrounding cast by which a QB can have any sort of success.

There's no situation in the league right now where we can find a Brees without exorbitant compensation . Our only way forward is to draft and develop talent, and we've got a guy on the roster right now who is easily the best chance of a franchise QB we've had since Marino. He's certainly got an offseason of work ahead of him, but the front office and the rest of the team needs to do their job as well to make sure he has an environment where he can grow and have a shot at success without having to suffer the garbage we witnessed on the field earlier this year. Draft a QB on the second day, give Beck his shot, and let's see where this goes.

17. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    wanny is that you :lol:

18. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    True, how many times was Beck completely destroyed by blindside sacks this year. I can see it going over and over again in my head right now. Carey really got him killed on more than a few occasions

19. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    It took Manning what, 3 years to become a decent QB, and some will argue that yesterday was his first truely good game where he took charge.

20. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Melrose FL
    You can bet that BP will quickly address the lines in the upcoming draft, even if he manages to get a trade for the #1 pick. I'm not sure that Roth is a 1st string player, and this doesn't seem to be a great year to have#1. That being said we simply have to make the most of what picks we have, and I don't see an OL prospect for the #1 pick. Methinks we go D, where the need might be a little greater, and we might get the most 'bang for our buck'.

21. Jsbaugh

Jsbaugh New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Teams dont need superstar QB's to be successful in the NFL. Perfect example are the NY Giants. Manning is a descent QB who has been very up and down thru his career, but you see the Giants in the Playoffs every year. Phillip Rivers is another example. Those teams get there because of strong defense and good running games. Those QB's are there to manage the game and make a few plays every once in a while.
    The Fins need to build a strong D along with a good O line and they will be fine.

22. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Maybe it's not the exception, maybe coaches have devised systems to excel with lackluster quarterbacks. i.e. John Gruden, he did it with Brad Johnson and is now doing it with Jeff Garcia. If you're saying that relying on a quarterback to bail you out of every play is what we need, then I would say that's seriously flawed strategy.

23. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Guys, you need to give Beck more time, FIRST of all. Second, a solid oline and running game will really help his development. IF there was a sure fire can't miss QB in the top of the draft... then sure I'd say get him. However, all of the top guys have question marks about their games. So it is simple. TAKE the BPA. Who that is, well opinions differ at this point. But get the player that can change the face of a game. Then build around him. Whether it is Dorsey or Chris Long, then build the D around them. IF it is Jake Long, build the o around him... ETC...

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  24. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    :bighug: did someone say Oline

25. Sorru if this already been mentioned, I did not read through all the posts just weighing in with my two cents. I think weather or not BP has confidence in Beck we will be looking for a veteran QB to keep us afloat next season and if Beck dosnt impress Parcells & Co. then they will be looking for late round QB's to bring in and develope. No big ephimany I know. I think the design is that simple.

Now with that idea in place who do we look to for veteran leadership?

Im thinking possibly Jake Plummer could be lured out of retirement to fill this job. I think providing we could get him to agree to a reasonable salary he could be a very viable option for us. We would not be in a postion of giving up draft picks and we would have a QB in place that can play at a competive level. This would allow us to build up the team while we shop for our franchise level QB. Now that he has sat out a full season the bug of never playing football again may have bitten him and he may very well jump at an invitation to come back to the NFL.

26. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Rich Gannon was the league MVP when the Raiders went to the superbowl...

27. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    And? He also holds the record for Superbowl interceptions (5). I still don't think he was a very good quarterback. Just my opinion.

28. huscroft6

huscroft6 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Boston

I was gonna say, that guy must not have watched Gannon much, he had a few GREAT years. So to say he was nothign special is someone who is not too knowledgable on that matter

29. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Dynasty teams are built around the QB.
    Teams that have a history of winning in the playoffs(during the salary cap era); Pats, Cowboys(with Aikman), 49ers(Montana and Young), Eagles(McBoob), Packers(Farve). All were built around the Qb position.

30. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You don't need a great QB to win games.
    You don't need a great defense to win games.
    You don't need superstar receivers to win games.

History has shown however if you dont have those things you at least need a coach who can get the most out of what he DOES have. Also as the Bengals have showed us, whoever said two out of three aint bad was a liar.

31. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    And he went to the pro bowl for three or four years in a row. For about five years he was as good a quarterback as you can get.