Miami's Next Opponent San Diego Chargers News
80 replies
Punter Scifres happy to stay on sideline as the offense rolls
LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates said their big toes are better, yet it was a good idea to sit out Wednesday's practice.
“It's time to be smart,” Gates said.
Jamal Williams (knees), Jeremy Newberry (knee) and Kris Dielman (thigh) also did not practice.
All are expected to practice Thursday.
Yet because he is still prone to mistakes at times, quarterbacks keep throwing his way. He has been targeted more that his counterpart, Quentin Jammer, in every game this season.
Jammer is not happy about that.

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
Chargers center ready to get back on his feet
There's a very real possibility Hardwick will return to the starting lineup Sunday – against the Raiders, of all teams – though the Chargers clearly will handle that assignment in much the same way they brought left tackle Marcus McNeill back into play Monday night. It's a decision best saved for the weekend.

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
Looks like they are getting healthy just in time for us...at any rate, I hope they beat the Raiders so there is less pressure on them to beat us...I'm sure they look at the next two weeks as 'gimmes' but we'll see...
Is it bad for me to wish LT, Vincent Jackson, and Chambers have a big game that week they play us? I've got to find a way to replace Plax's performance...:angry:
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

i think looking at the injury reports now is a waste of time. they play a game this weekend while we don't, so there could be new injuries, re-aggravations, etc on their part...
while i'm sure they'll handily beat the raiders, the raiders DO play smash-mouth football... they're not going to lay down.
*
"Regan21286 wrote:
Is it bad for me to wish LT, Vincent Jackson, and Chambers have a big game that week they play us? I've got to find a way to replace Plax's performance...:angry:
I'm in the same boat as you. I have LT & Sproles on my FFB teams. Call me evil and selfish but I hope they have a big day but we have a bigger day and win the game. :up:
"fins4o8 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. I have LT & Sproles on my FFB teams. Call me evil and selfish but I hope they have a big day but we have a bigger day and win the game. :up:
All I know is, ever since I picked up Jerry Porter as a bye-week guy just for the Dolphins game last year, I've been starting or picking up whoever plays them. I feel guilty until I see the W. :no:
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"Regan21286 wrote:
All I know is, ever since I picked up Jerry Porter as a bye-week guy just for the Dolphins game last year, I've been starting or picking up whoever plays them.I feel guilty until I see the W. :no:
me too bro but after a few beers, I lose that guilty feeling. :lol:
this is why i can't get into fantasy football. there is no way that i'm going to pick a guy who plays on a team against the dolphins and hope he does well.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"anlgp wrote:
this is why i can't get into fantasy football. there is no way that i'm going to pick a guy who plays on a team against the dolphins and hope he does well.
I was like that at first until I tried Yahoo Fantasy FB one year. I was addicted after that. I love football as the next person but I can dooze off esp after some beer. By playing FFB it makes watching game so much more entertaining and stressful if your team sucks ass for the week. Some ppl like to bet on football games so they enjoy watching the game more, for me its FFB.
Just try it. It's free and highly addictive. Not sure if you are a working professional or not but it helps you through a boring day at work.
Good finds John.
Like I said in Adam's thread, Jamal Williams has not been the same this season. He doesn't control the blockers anymore and isn't a disruptive force. He also doesn't help them in the rush defense category. He and the rest of the defense are giving up 5 yards a carry while our offensive line is giving our RB's a 4.4 yard per carry average. That could really be a weakness for them and I expect us to use it to our full advantage.
Their offensive line is indeed banged up and it shows. Marcus McNeil just came back against the Jets and now Hardwick is coming back but he'll be rusty. They haven't opened up holes for Tomlinson like last year but he has also been banged up. He can't make the same cuts that he made a year ago because of the toe injury. He can't stop and turn direction. Sproles has come in and sparked their offense though. He'll be an X-factor in the game because he also contributes on Special Teams. He's bringing the ball back about 30 yards or so on average. Our ST's is allowing a high number in that category, I think it was around 32. That and him catching balls out of the backfield could spell trouble for us.
I can understand why teams don't throw Jammer's way. Last year he had ten pass deflections and only one pick. However, he had seven dropped interceptions. However, Cromartie had ten interceptions last year as we all know but he does make mistakes as the article points out. The Chargers have never lost when Cromartie gets an interception. Teams will have to protect the ball against the Chargers. If they or we don't, we won't win.
"alen1 wrote:
I can understand why teams don't throw Jammer's way. Last year he had ten pass deflections and only one pick. However, he had seven dropped interceptions. However, Cromartie had ten interceptions last year as we all know but he does make mistakes as the article points out. The Chargers have never lost when Cromartie gets an interception. Teams will have to protect the ball against the Chargers. If they or we don't, we won't win.
With the WR crew we have, Cromartie and Jammer look like they have an easy day that game. When we lost to Arizona, they were fielding Eric Green and Roderick Hood, a combo that's not as good as SD's (not to mention Antoine Cason is a rookie that plays like a solid veteran right now). The chances of Cromartie making mistakes against a green WR that can't run good routes are much slimmer than against someone like Brandon Marshall.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"alen1 wrote:
Good finds John.
Like I said in Adam's thread, Jamal Williams has not been the same this season. He doesn't control the blockers anymore and isn't a disruptive force. He also doesn't help them in the rush defense category. He and the rest of the defense are giving up 5 yards a carry while our offensive line is giving our RB's a 4.4 yard per carry average. That could really be a weakness for them and I expect us to use it to our full advantage.
Their offensive line is indeed banged up and it shows. Marcus McNeil just came back against the Jets and now Hardwick is coming back but he'll be rusty. They haven't opened up holes for Tomlinson like last year but he has also been banged up. He can't make the same cuts that he made a year ago because of the toe injury. He can't stop and turn direction. Sproles has come in and sparked their offense though. He'll be an X-factor in the game because he also contributes on Special Teams. He's bringing the ball back about 30 yards or so on average. Our ST's is allowing a high number in that category, I think it was around 32. That and him catching balls out of the backfield could spell trouble for us.
I can understand why teams don't throw Jammer's way. Last year he had ten pass deflections and only one pick. However, he had seven dropped interceptions. However, Cromartie had ten interceptions last year as we all know but he does make mistakes as the article points out. The Chargers have never lost when Cromartie gets an interception. Teams will have to protect the ball against the Chargers. If they or we don't, we won't win.
I hope we throw it Jammer's way because of his Will Allen like hands. I'm afraid of Cromartie because he is physical, has good hands and can run like a cheetah. Plus, I'm not sure if our WR are physical enough to fight for the ball.
"Regan21286 wrote:
With the WR crew we have, Cromartie and Jammer look like they have an easy day that game. When we lost to Arizona, they were fielding Eric Green and Roderick Hood, a combo that's not as good as SD's (not to mention Antoine Cason is a rookie that plays like a solid veteran right now). The chances of Cromartie making mistakes against a green WR that can't run good routes are much slimmer than against someone like Brandon Marshall.
it's stuff like this that makes me think we'll lose the SD game. i know i'm in the huge minority with that idea, but i just think talent-wise we a bit behind. our defense isn't up to the task of stopping powerful offenses. the only offense we shut down was new england's, who was running with an inexperienced game manager and missing their starting RBs and the core of their offense. Remember the Jets? they aren't nearly as powerful as the Chargers, and we simply could not stop them offensively. our DBs looked EPIC against the Pats b/c they didn't take any shots downfield. We didn't shutdown Randy Moss, he took himself out of the game. We didn't really stop Welker either, they just didn't throw to him too often. we got serious pressure on Cassel, but i think we'll be harder pressed to get to Rivers who is far more composed in the pocket, more mobile, and a far better QB.
i am just as happy as the next guy about our win in NE, but we need to temper that excitement and realize the circumstances of that game, which will not be the same when we play San Diego. :up:
*
"Regan21286 wrote:
With the WR crew we have, Cromartie and Jammer look like they have an easy day that game. When we lost to Arizona, they were fielding Eric Green and Roderick Hood, a combo that's not as good as SD's (not to mention Antoine Cason is a rookie that plays like a solid veteran right now). The chances of Cromartie making mistakes against a green WR that can't run good routes are much slimmer than against someone like Brandon Marshall.
That's true.
"fins4o8 wrote:
I hope we throw it Jammer's way because of his Will Allen like hands. I'm afraid of Cromartie because he is physical, has good hands and can run like a cheetah. Plus, I'm not sure if our WR are physical enough to fight for the ball.
Honestly, I'm afraid of both. Keep throwing Jammer's way and he'll eventually make you pay for it. Same goes for Cromartie.
"texasPHINSfan wrote:
it's stuff like this that makes me think we'll lose the SD game. i know i'm in the huge minority with that idea, but i just think talent-wise we a bit behind. our defense isn't up to the task of stopping powerful offenses. the only offense we shut down was new england's, who was running with an inexperienced game manager and missing their starting RBs and the core of their offense. Remember the Jets? they aren't nearly as powerful as the Chargers, and we simply could not stop them offensively. our DBs looked EPIC against the Pats b/c they didn't take any shots downfield. We didn't shutdown Randy Moss, he took himself out of the game. We didn't really stop Welker either, they just didn't throw to him too often. we got serious pressure on Cassel, but i think we'll be harder pressed to get to Rivers who is far more composed in the pocket, more mobile, and a far better QB.
i am just as happy as the next guy about our win in NE, but we need to temper that excitement and realize the circumstances of that game, which will not be the same when we play San Diego. :up:
I'm in the same boat too. The real reason we stood up to Cassel was the pressure. He couldn't make his reads and couldn't get the ball out accurately. It was all the DL in that game. We got in his face and we even got our sole int of the year from the DL. And we're talking about a QB who hasn't started more than half a season since high school. I saw a few early plays out of Moss that if you have Brady or even a Pennington, it could've gone for 6. Eventually Moss just gave up after those first few plays. Vincent Jackson could bully Will Allen with his size the way Fitz did and Chambers will go nuts if he's put on Goodman or even Allen. We have to bring the pressure to Rivers, the guy Dan Marino had high praise for when he scouted for us as VP, or else we're in deep dung. And I haven't even talked about Gates or LT yet. I hope we win but I'm iffy.
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"alen1 wrote:
Honestly, I'm afraid of both. Keep throwing Jammer's way and he'll eventually make you pay for it. Same goes for Cromartie.
A blind squirrel gets the nut once in a while. Jammer's due. Speaking of, where'd you get the stat about the 7 dropped interceptions?
Final MCAT attempt 5/28
Results: ???
Goal: 38+, Latest practice tests: 37, 35, 39

"alen1 wrote:
Good finds John.
Like I said in Adam's thread, Jamal Williams has not been the same this season. He doesn't control the blockers anymore and isn't a disruptive force. He also doesn't help them in the rush defense category. He and the rest of the defense are giving up 5 yards a carry while our offensive line is giving our RB's a 4.4 yard per carry average. That could really be a weakness for them and I expect us to use it to our full advantage.
Their offensive line is indeed banged up and it shows. Marcus McNeil just came back against the Jets and now Hardwick is coming back but he'll be rusty. They haven't opened up holes for Tomlinson like last year but he has also been banged up. He can't make the same cuts that he made a year ago because of the toe injury. He can't stop and turn direction. Sproles has come in and sparked their offense though. He'll be an X-factor in the game because he also contributes on Special Teams. He's bringing the ball back about 30 yards or so on average. Our ST's is allowing a high number in that category, I think it was around 32. That and him catching balls out of the backfield could spell trouble for us.
I can understand why teams don't throw Jammer's way. Last year he had ten pass deflections and only one pick. However, he had seven dropped interceptions. However, Cromartie had ten interceptions last year as we all know but he does make mistakes as the article points out. The Chargers have never lost when Cromartie gets an interception. Teams will have to protect the ball against the Chargers. If they or we don't, we won't win.
Bro do not under estimate this offensive line. They can pick there game up. Also one problem with Sproles is that you can't see him, because he is so short, and when you do pick him up he is through the hole with his speed. Need to be very careful of that, along with LT if he gets healthy.

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:
Bro do not under estimate this offensive line. They can pick there game up. Also one problem with Sproles is that you can't see him, because he is so short, and when you do pick him up he is through the hole with his speed. Need to be very careful of that, along with LT if he gets healthy.
I think that the offensive line is good, no doubt but they may be rusty. Yeah, Sproles is a pain in the arse when he's on the field.
"Regan21286 wrote:
A blind squirrel gets the nut once in a while. Jammer's due. Speaking of, where'd you get the stat about the 7 dropped interceptions?
Saw it in one of Lombardi's articles.
"texasPHINSfan wrote:
it's stuff like this that makes me think we'll lose the SD game. i know i'm in the huge minority with that idea, but i just think talent-wise we a bit behind. our defense isn't up to the task of stopping powerful offenses. the only offense we shut down was new england's, who was running with an inexperienced game manager and missing their starting RBs and the core of their offense. Remember the Jets? they aren't nearly as powerful as the Chargers, and we simply could not stop them offensively. our DBs looked EPIC against the Pats b/c they didn't take any shots downfield. We didn't shutdown Randy Moss, he took himself out of the game. We didn't really stop Welker either, they just didn't throw to him too often. we got serious pressure on Cassel, but i think we'll be harder pressed to get to Rivers who is far more composed in the pocket, more mobile, and a far better QB.
i am just as happy as the next guy about our win in NE, but we need to temper that excitement and realize the circumstances of that game, which will not be the same when we play San Diego. :up:
I don't see how you'd be in the minority here, SD is the better team. I expect we're all hoping that their jet lag is huge and that we could pull out a win but IMO they are the best team on our schedule.

"alen1 wrote:
I think that the offensive line is good, no doubt but they may be rusty. Yeah, Sproles is a pain in the arse when he's on the field.
Saw it in one of Lombardi's articles.
Look at pics, and you will see Sproles has huge thighs for a RB.:wink2:

Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!
"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:
Bro do not under estimate this offensive line. They can pick there game up. Also one problem with Sproles is that you can't see him, because he is so short, and when you do pick him up he is through the hole with his speed. Need to be very careful of that, along with LT if he gets healthy.
You guys rem our Game against Mini Hercules aka Jones-Drew? We couldn't tackle that guy due to his size and speed. I can see the same for Sproles.
About Jammer or Crom, you have to pick your poison. I would rather us pick on Jammer but Regan made a good statement on:
Originally Posted by Regan21286 View Post
A blind squirrel gets the nut once in a while. Jammer's due.
On Jammer's hands, the commentators of last weeks game were mentioning Jammer has dropped a lot of potential INT's.
Anyone wanna bet Chambers will have a pro-bowl performance against us? You know he is going to Rivers and telling him to throw it to him for some payback.
"rafael wrote:
I don't see how you'd be in the minority here, SD is the better team. I expect we're all hoping that their jet lag is huge and that we could pull out a win but IMO they are the best team on our schedule.
i've been quiet on my opinion on that game, but gauging from what everyone else is saying, there sure is a lot of optimism on this board. ;)
*
"rafael wrote:
I don't see how you'd be in the minority here, SD is the better team. I expect we're all hoping that their jet lag is huge and that we could pull out a win but IMO they are the best team on our schedule.
I think that if we run the ball successfully and heavily rush Rivers (and force him into turnovers), I think we will be in this game. If we don't do those things at the least, it'll be over quickly.