1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's draft needs not as it seems

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Canuck, Apr 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    The prognosticators will tell you Miami needs wide receivers. KC Joyner doesn’t think so, neither do I. We simply need to see Ginn and London to develop. Bess, has already shown me plenty as an ideally suited slot receiver. Camarillo was great as move the chains guy, here’s hoping he has not lost much speed with the knee injury.

Cornerback is another obvious need area and it’ll be addressed…..but not necessarily in the 1st. The value in this draft at corner is round 2 and later.

Outside Linebacker is another spot that Parcellian teams have addressed early in previous drafts and with Joey Porter on the wrong side of 30, you’d expect OLB to be addressed. You would expect they already have in CFL 2-time defensive player of the year award winner Cameron Wake has been added. And the Trifecta are big on the likes of Roth and Andersen too. This draft is also deep on tweener edge rusher types so solid prospects can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round there too.

Nose tackle is a position of need with aging Jason Ferguson getting up there but no such 0 technique DT exists with a late first round grade. Ron Brace is the closest thing to that and he should be available in the 2nd round if he interests this front office. I would expect Green Bay to be interested in him at 41 however. Should he slip to Miami’s first 2nd rounder (#44), he’ll be seriously be considered there.

With all that in mind, I unveil my 2009 first day Miami Mock draft:

Pick #25, Miami selects……ILB James Laurenitis. How can Parcells et co. pass on Akin Adoyele’s replacement? Another OSU LB prospect (hopefully more Chris Spielman and less Andy Katzenmoyer/AJ Hawk) who can man the middle of Miami’s defense for the next 10yrs. Arguably the most instinctive LB in the draft c/w college production, size and ability to rush the passer when needed. He won’t get past Detroit at 33 so Miami takes him here.

Pick #44, Miami selects…..CB Sean Smith. Smith, considered a “tweener” by some due to his size (6’-4”, 208lbs), he has ball skills and runs very well for his size (4.45 forty). He’ll fit in nicely in our quarters coverage scheme and will not be dwarfed by the likes of Moss and Owens.

Pick #56, Miami selects…..DE/OLB Paul Kruger. Kruger possesses the size, quick first step and pass rushing abilities this team wants at OLB. He’ll push Roth on the strongside while Wake back-ups Porter on the weakside.

1st Day Summation. All defense and Miami addresses a huge area of need (CB) as well as adding a pass rusher and run stuffer. Day 2, don’t be surprised if Miami takes a RB, OT, C, CB (again), NT and WR (in no particular order).