1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami's Cap Position - article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan22, Sep 2, 2012.

1. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Tone_E, Boik14, jw3102 and 3 others like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He has numerous valid points in that article.

3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

That the points are valid isn't a positive unfortunately.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    No, that's why we are a bad football team at the moment.

My goals have changed for this team

1. Tannehill develops (obvious one)
    2. Someone Anyone steps up at WR besides Bess.
    3. Young defensive players step up because they're are some veterans on the way out.
    4. Team who isn't afraid to take shots, "grinding" wins is not a recipe for success...once your in the playoffs your exposed.(sound familiar)
    5. Big Jake regain his form, unless he is real bad he will be franchised at the very least in 2013.
    6. Either Clay or Egnew step up and give us those desired mismatches.

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

What Bart Scott production?

Trowa likes this.
  6. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Can't wait!"

7. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I think Long gets franchised next year. The frachise tag for an OL is $9.4M. Unfortunately for LTs they get lumped in with the Cs and OGs. Long makes $11.2M this year. Ireland, who's very stingy will like to save that roughly $2M difference.

$14M in dead money is a lot. It's probably why they can't sign more veteran free agents. I'm not sure but I think the dead money clears for 2013 which I hope makes things looks better cap wise ($40M cap space according to that write up).

8. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

There is $5M available right now. Jones and Jennings don't make that kind of money and not one GB player has been targeted so far. I still think one of them is in play.

9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The tag gives the player X dollars OR a raise. It cannot be used to lower his previous salary. I think that because Long already makes more than the tag number, he would then get 15% more than this season.

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hmmm even a Jet fan can figure out why we are a struggling franchise.... :(

ssmiami, Trowa and Fin-Omenal like this.
  11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The funny thing is, Dansby has been in the league for 2 less years than Scott and has almost 100 combined tackles more with 115 more solo tackles, 8 more sacks, 7 more interceptions, 10 more pass defenses, etc. Career wise, he has been much better. First two years on new teams, Scott to NYJ and Dansby to MIA, Dansby had 31 more combined tackles with 53 more solo tackles, 3 more sacks, 1 more INT, 2 more forced fumbles, etc.

Is this guy serious with that?

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Dansbys best years were in Arizona though.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why is this article or its author considered to be right about anything again?

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Because there is very little in there factually incorrect? Why is the author considered to be incorrect about anything again?

jdang307, Tone_E, Trowa and 1 other person like this.
  15. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Raises hand...

Because it is honesty and exposes Ireland for numerous bad moves.

Boik14 likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lol.

Yesterday I'm told our coach is horrible communicator and should be more like Jets coach Rex Ryan. Today i'm told a Jet fan has our franchise all figured out and knows more than Ireland & Philbin combined.

So I got to ask, how will be told the Jets are right tomorrow?

We have a **** ton of picks and a ridiculous amount of cap room next year all while this year we may have gotten our QB of the future, the coach and probably solidified the oline. Before all that happened, people were predicting gloom and doom and they still are. That leads to me to believe the moves we make are irrelevant in their eyes...they will always see doom and gloom.

2socks and ToddPhin like this.
  17. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Ok, I just looked it up and it's actually 20% more. So that means, if franchised, Long gets $13.44M next year.

Joe thomas last year signed a $12M a year for 7 years. So now I'm wondering what the heck is Ireland waiting for. It could only mean that he wants to see how Long goes in the middle of this season health wise before extending him? Would there be any other reason?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That article had some very stupid points.

19. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    I thought that too but I wasn't sure if Ross wants to be tight with his money now or not.

20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

And....?

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My impression was almost exactly the opposite.

Stringer Bell and Fin D like this.
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    And....he got a contract that he has not lived up too, thus the comment Karlos was a bad move.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I think if you broke it down statement for statement you would find more that make sense than don't. Personally I have no desire to break it down because some Dolphins fans actually feel like Dansby is worth top 3 money...and if they can't swallow THAT pill there is zero point in discussing actual borderline topics.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Your dislike for Dansby is well documented. The writer said Dansby did not give us Bart Scott production yet Dansby has significantly outperformed Bart Scott. Dansby has been one of the top LBers in the NFL with the Dolphins. I have yet to see you retract any statement regarding Dansby regardless of what evidence has been provided to the contrary.

Fin D likes this.
  25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Im not sure I understand what the authors criticism is here? That Miami has a high cap number because it's refused to restructure contracts and kick the can down the road?

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That we have very little salary cap space now (spend a lot of money) and still have a terrible roster beyond a handful of players?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yet we'll have ridiculous space next year.....

28. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Lotta deadspace this year

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  29. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    He is gonna trade Him?

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

See that's where your wrong.

I do not dislike Dansby as a player, I dislike the ridiculous contract he was given. I never have said he wasn't a solid starter...but so is Incognito diffeference is he isn't eating up a ton of cap space.

So I'll say it one more time in the most simplistic way I can....Dansby is a solid LB, but he is ridiculously overpaid. If you'd like to argue he is worth top $$ then type away I like the entertainment. As far as Bart Scott goes, I do disagree Karlos has been worse. But Scott is another huge example of a LB who was solid but got a ridiculous contract.

Fast foward to this up moving offseason and Dansby IMO won't be on this roster anyways unless he restructures wich would shock me personally.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree. The writer focused on the failure to re-sign Long first. The problem is that the team would realize very little if any cap savings from re-signing Long. Then after some rambling about Philbin and speculation about what we'll do with Moore or Garrard, he moved on to Dansby, but was again factually incorrect when he compared him to Bart Scott as Dansby has out-performed Scott. He complained about Bush making too much and then talked about a couple of moves he considered "poor cap management" before admitting that the net effect of that was nothing. The only factual statement I agreed with was that there is a lot of dead cap, but I haven't compared that to other teams so I can't say if it's a lot relative to other teams. And since the author didn't provide that information, I'm guessing he doesn't know either.

Anonymous likes this.
  32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yes but it depends what you do with it. Based on what we've seen its not a stretch to say we wil have a high pick next year and thats going to take some space. Resigning Jake, looking at extensions for Bess and possibly Bush...where is that money going to be allocated and do you trust the guy doing the job now. I dont.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Because he thinks Jonathon Martin is the future LT of this football team??? :huh1:

34. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

I see no way Ireland is retained outside of major contributions by any rookie not named Tannehill.

35. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    They are not re-signing Jake Long to a long term contract until Jake Long can show he still plays at a high level. His performance in pre season did not show that as of yet. Not saying he will ever play at a high level again but I am saying Jake is not playing like the Jake people have in their minds.

I do think if he shows he can play they will franchise him in 2013. I agree on the Solai franchise as stupidity and same for Dansby. Outside of Wake we have zero pass rush, still.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We have no cap space that equals bad. We'll have ludicrous cap space next year and that equals bad.

No wonder Ireland is always wrong, there's literally nothing he can do that some will consider right.

37. My take on what he was saying is that we lack a good grasp on how to effectivily manage our cap space. He used a series of exspensive transactions to show how we put a lot of money on the books with very little talent on the field. Also a good chunk of that money is for players that are not even with us anymore. $40 mil in cap space sounds nice next year but even that isnt that great unless it is all put to good use. Rather then being forced to take a big hit this year if we had managed it better we could afford to do more this year to build a solid team. He is saying we should be adding talent and locking up current talent every year.

38. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    See the scary thing is, I can see them being willing to let Ireland clean up his own mess. Keep in mind Detroit didnt fire Matt Millen right away...it took years of ineptness. Owners may have billions but that doesnt mean they know squat about football. :no:

See as bad as the perception is about Jake Long slipping last year its just not entirely accurate. He still ranked in the upper tier of LT's in the game last year giving up only 5 sacks, 6 hits and 15 pressures in 801 snaps. And that was with a QB's that held the ball forever.

The real question isnt whether Long is still an upper tier LT, he is. The question here is whether committing big money to a great LT is an intelligent way to build a football team in this day and age? And its a question Im pretty torn on because 1) I really like Jake Long. Every team needs warriors like him. Guy leaves it on the field and doesnt back down. 2) We have so many holes is it wise to commit huge money to any one player over a long term deal. And 3) What if we could trade Long at the trade deadline and command a 1st round pick plus from a contending team? Doesnt that go further towards the rebuild then committing big money to a great player whose body may not make it more then another 2-3 years?

39. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It'd be at most $5M/year. That's really not taking that much space.

Sean Smith and Jake Long are our biggest upcoming FAs I believe. Long would cost $10M/per and Sean Smith (if he plays real well this year) should be no more than $8M/yr. Even with a #1 pick, Long, and Smith, we'd still have room to make a big signing or two (like Bowe for example).

40. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, but as bad as people want to think Ireland is, he's not Matt Millen. Lions had 31 wins under Millen in 7 and like one quarter years. Ireland has that in 4.