1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami vs. Kansas City - Quick Hits

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vengeful Odin, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Tonight was the first chance I'd had to watch this team live. Here's my quick hits on the game.

What I Liked

• Offensive Line - The starting offensive line played the majority of the snaps, and looked good doing so. They paved the way for over 150 yards on the ground. Good stuff. I thought Jake Long did really well against Hali for the majority of the game, and the fact that Glenn Dorsey did nothing speaks well of Satele.
    • Special Teams - Seeing Ginn take it to the house on a punt return was nice. We had a turnover on another punt return that got called back by penalty, but it was still a great play. Bess had a nice return as well. I think he has a spot on this team, particularly with his catches later in the game. He's a highlight every time he touches the ball.
    • Defensive Line - We got pressure on the quarterback early and often. As a team we ended up with 5 total sacks. Matt Roth looked comfortable coming off the edge - more on that later. Jason Ferguson was a man in the middle. Series of the game for me was the goal line stop in the third quarter, when the Chiefs sent their best runner - Larry Johnson - right into the teeth of our defense, and our defense didn't break. Sums up the attitude of this team well, I think.

What I Didn't Like

• Penalties - We're still committing way too many penalties. On the bright side, they were all of the 5 yard variety, but 9 penalties is too many, even for a preseason game. I'm hoping this is because of all our new players, but it's an alarming trend that needs to stop.
    • Turnovers - I didn't like the Henne pick, and I liked the late-game fumble less. Beck will take some heat for the fumble, but this one probably wasn't his fault, although it just seems like bad things happen when he's in the game. Guy can't catch a break to save his life.

Who Stood Out

Aside from folks I already mentioned (Long, Bess), I thought we had standout efforts from several other players as well.

• Matt Roth - I thought Matt Roth stood out as a playmaker at OLB. He may surprise us and do really well there. He didn't record a sack, but he applied constant pressure to the QB and picked up the fumble on the Crowder strip.
    • Ted Ginn - Ginn looked great catching the ball, and even better on the punt return. Ginn is going to be asked to shoulder the load as our #1 receiving option, he looked like he was up to the task tonight.
    • Chad Pennington - 11/15 with 94 yards and a touchdown. More importantly, he looked like a leader out on the field. Pennington is probably our best QB since Marino, at least he looked that way tonight. His experience in the huddle should help lend a calming influence to all of the young players on offense.
    • Jalen Parmale - I'd venture to say that Parmale probably made the team, not on the strength of the 80 yard spurt, but on the strength of the effort he put forth on the goal line. He's a tough runner, and at the end of the day he has more upside than Cobbs. Really liked what I saw out of him tonight.

Who Didn't Stand Out

• Justin Peelle - Peelle didn't do a lot to distinguish himself tonight, committing a penalty that erased a special teams turnover and making zero effort to go after a Chad Henne pass in the end zone. Not his best effort.
    • Ernest Wilford - I didn't even see Wilford make a play out there tonight. I mentioned this in the game thread, but I'll say it again. This regime has already shown a willingness to tinker when it comes to position. Wilford has decent size, can block, and has some red zone skills. Given how poorly he's played at WR, maybe we try him at TE to see if he can be a receiving threat there. May as well try that, because otherwise I think he may be getting cut.

Overall thoughts

The effort out there was outstanding tonight. The first half was about the best I've seen a Miami team play, particularly in the last few years. Great effort from nearly everyone on the team, up and down the roster. There were a few minor quibbles, but if the team plays like this in the regular season, as fans we're in for a treat. Don't sleep on this team. If they can continue to grind it out on the ground and wreak havoc on defense they will be in a lot of games. Granted, this effort came against the Chiefs, a team in search of their own identity, but still, nice to see us come out with this kind of effort.

2. dphins

dphins New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I have to disagree with the Peelle assesment I hope he sticks on the team. He caught the CP throw should have been a touchdown. I like him over Martin but I know we will probally keep Martin and Fasano. I hope there is room to keep Peelle as well if we keep three.

3. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Not that play - I agree it should have been a TD - the play where Henne threw a pick. I thought his effort on that was less than solid. He's a TE, no way a DB should win against him in a fight for the ball.

4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    That goal line stand was nice the cheap variety that was first and goal from inside the 5.

roth did look good, looked faster than i expected.

I still hope good things for Peele because I like his overall play.

5. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I thought crowder could be added to "who stood out". Good assessment thoough

finsgirlie and Vengeful Odin like this.
  6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Good call. Crowder was all over the field. He deserves credit for the strip of Croyle and the Roth fumble recover. I'm telling you, if Roth sticks at OLB, we've got the makings of a nice LB core.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  7. dphins

dphins New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Merling, Lanford and Starks, pretty much the whole Dline stood out too. Great assessment!

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  8. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Totally agree about the whole dline including Merl, langs and starks.

Can't friggin wait till tomorrow am for some replay on NFL network.

9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Add to Who Stood out:

Micheal Lehan
    Ricky Freakin' Williams

WharfRat and Vengeful Odin like this.
  10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I agree with everything said.

The only thing I have to add is this:

IT'S NICE TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE HIGHLIGHT REEL THIS YEAR!

Larryfinfan and Vengeful Odin like this.
  11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thx for the recap. i look forward to seeing it tmw

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Couldn't have said it better myself...thanks...and yes, it is good to be on this side of the highlight reels...

13. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    :up: it's so nice to see this comment again....:lol: