1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami....NFL's New Bad Boys??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jun 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Nah bro, their women just need to learn to keep their traps shut.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    banter, senseless banter
    truth is:
    the other teams are getting
    bludgeoned on the playing field
    beaten up routinely
    that is the way we play football
    there will always be blood
    on a Bill Parcells team

no more Flipper, these are Orcas. get used to it:dolphin:

dolfan7171, MikeHoncho and finyank13 like this.
  4. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    why shorty's be snitchin', yo!

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Let's put a patch on the jerseys
    [​IMG]

the 23rd likes this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I agree that we've been in the news far too much this off-season for negative reasons, I think DUI's and DV's are the types of cases that you should wait for the facts before leveling any punishment. Those types of cases are prosecuted very liberally and often without the accused being guilty far too often. I also think that a player's history (first offense or repeat offender) should be considered.

AFAIK this would be the first offense for all of these players. The DUI's could easily be a one-time thing so I wouldn't punish Brown or Allen. The Merling DV sounds horrid. Depending on what facts come out, I may be inclined to levy a team punishment for that one. It also might help to get out in front of the league or work with the commissioner's office on this one. I don't know any of the facts surrounding McDaniel's DV.

The Jeff Ireland comment sounds like it was a gaffe and it definitely hurt our F.O.'s reputation. It probably got more press than any other incident. But other than a private conversation where I would tell him to try to be less of a dick, I wouldn't be leveling any punishment.

The Fergy thing was a joke. He took medication that didn't provide any competitive advantage. I think it was for high-blood pressure. Other than a reminder to get every medication checked that shouldn't warrant any team punishment. IMO it didn't warrant any league punishment either.

So, at most, I might level team punishments for the DVs, but I'd be waiting for the facts before I did anything. All the other stuff may hurt our image, but it doesn't warrant any team punishments.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    lets play football & win
    let he who hath not sinned caste the first stone
    leave the legal/moral issues
    to the church & state

8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    No crimes involving guns. No convictions for violent crimes. I'd hardly say new 'bad boys'.

alen1 and MikeHoncho like this.
  9. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mr. Marvez was just inspired by my comment in other thread that we can't make fun of Cincy anymore for their off the field stuff. Don't mind being known as a nasty and tough team; driving drunk and hitting women falls under the stupid category though, not tough and nasty.

DolfanJake likes this.
  10. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    but the team is still called the Dolphins... I'm confused.

late again likes this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Do you think Roger will look down upon Miami if no punishment goes internally...like do you think that would make him have to punish Miami, because the team isnt??

12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Just an FYI a lot of blood pressure meds are also diuretics. Ferguson was suspended in 99 for testing positive for steroids. And I'm sure you know that people will use diuretics to try and clean up their urine if they're worried about testing. So while I won't unequivocally condemn him; I will say that I'm extremely skeptical as to his innocence.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I do. I think that if he felt that the league's image was being tarnished and he felt that a punishment was warranted but not levied by the team that he would feel forced to act. Of course, that bolded part is key.

finyank13 likes this.
  14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    get it right: Orcas are Dolphins :yes: only really big & bad Dolphins

DOLPHAN1 and dolfan7171 like this.
  15. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    The special treatment is the part that fries my butt. Just because he is a well paid athlete he gets treated differently than any of us would be. What lesson does this teach these guys ? Guys that in many instances are very immature to begin with, as many times in life they already have had excuse after excuse made for them & their insolent and arrogant attitudes.

He caused a case of domestic violence and Toney Sparano seemingly sloughs it off as if nothing ever happened. That is very disappointing, and disturbing. What you don't want is league intervention and doing NOTHING this time, invites that the next time.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I know that the masking argument is the reason that he was suspended, but I am not skeptical of his innocence. IMO it is very likely that a fat guy has blood pressure issues. Therefore, I think it is highly likely that it happened just like he said.

late again likes this.
  17. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Its possible. How many of you guys will be happy if we lose a draft pick because they did nothing to a guy arrested for domestic violence. Which need I remind you is a very big deal these days.

18. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Maybe we should call ourselves the Bottlenose Dolphins to be more specific :up:

19. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yes they are used as a masking agent. Having already been suspended once before, this man was playing with fire by using them.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thats why I think Miami has to do something internally if warranted like Rafey said.....cuz I do believe Roger's would be worse...

IMO though a stripped draft pick is a little much, if Cinny never got stripped Miami shouldnt either...

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Technically, 23rd is right about Orcas and I can see the logic in calling the Miami Dolphin OL the Orcas. Unfortunately, it's a stupid sounding nickname that is unlikely to catch on. I mean 23rd has plastered that nickname in bright colors a few thousand times (at least) over the last year or two and I've yet to see anybody else use it. I think it's reasonable to assume that it never will catch on.

mor911 likes this.
  22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Watch 23rd will do something, and rake in like a couple hundred g's on the orca moniker and laugh at us all....

rafael likes this.
  23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The worst sanction I could foresee would be a 2-4 game suspension for Merling. I'm not saying I expect that, but if the facts were horrific enough and there was enough negative press, I see that as the top end.

Just for comparison, look at the Big Ben situation, who got a 4-6 game suspension. I can't imagine an under-achieving DL ever generating as much press as a SB winning QB so that alone would deserve less. BB also had some other previous, well publicized embarrassments and one of those involved a nearly identical allegation. Merling's issue would be his first ever, AFAIK. On the negative side (for Merling), he might get convicted and BB did. But I doubt that will trump the rest of BB's stuff. In the end I see Merling's worst case as something less than BB's.

24. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    when I see Sporano calls 'em the Orca Five in a post game conference, I will retract anything I've ever said about the name.

finyank13 likes this.
  25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

and even better Mor, that means he frequents thephins.com......holy sheet can u imagine hahahah!?!?!

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    idle banter, meaningless, idle banter
    they are to me: the Orca-5
    that is how I post

some people like it, some people don't
    end of a meaningless, pointless subject

27. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well 23rd made a few people eat their words with the proposed Starks moving to NT, maybe Sparano will call Jake the leader of the Orca Five one day. I kinda like the name. I mean it fits with the team name and being a coastal city, they're also fat and mean like our lineman are. You hear names for defenses but never heard one for an o-line.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I just don't think it sounds complimentary. I mean, if you're a big guy and somebody calls you an Orca, do you take it to mean "big, fast, aggressive killer whale", or do you take it to mean "fat"? I think killer whales are pretty cool animals and are arguably one of the toughest in the seas, but I think I would still take it as "fat".

late again likes this.
  29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm actually starting to come around to it.....I think....

30. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    You could be right raf; it could all be on the up and up.
    But...and I'm just looking at it from my own perspective....and making some assumptions.
    I would assume that Ferguson would have a physician that he normally saw. Especially if he has blood pressure issues. In addition, it also seems logical that upon his first visit to any doctor he would bring with him a list of medications that are banned in the NFL to be included in his medical records. I mean Ferguson is a smart veteran who's been around the block, so to me it seems likely that he would do this.
    So basically my stance is that if he got a prescription from his doctor the doctor would most likely be aware of any medications that he wasn't allowed to take and write for something that was allowed.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The Redskins OL were nicknamed "the Hogs" which also also sounded derogatory so maybe the "fat" thing isn't as much of a turn-off as I envision.

32. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    According to Fergy he's been seeing his doctor forever and he usually cross-references everything with the NFL's ever changing list, but simply got lazy about it and didn't this time. Fergy took full responsibility for it and said it was his fault for not checking. And it wasn't a medication on the list, it was an ingredient in a medication. Obviously we'll never know the truth, but I just don't find it that hard to believe his version.

late again likes this.
  33. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Oh okay....that's new information for me, actually. Truth is I can see that happening. A physician wouldn't necessarily have that information memorized and might not even bother to check.

rafael likes this.
  34. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Any idea what could be in blood pressure medicine that would be worth an 8 game suspension?

35. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Some blood pressure meds are also diuretics. In other words they make you urinate.
    Taking a diuretic along with drinking large quantities of fluids can flush a banned substance out of your system.
    The problem is that the league isn't dumb. That's why diuretics are also banned. For that matter a urine screen with too much water in it can also be considered a failed test.

LandShark13 likes this.
  36. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Personally, I think Marvez is just stirring the pot. Everybody knows this team handles everything for the most part behind closed doors. Coach Sparano isnt gonna make any comments about Merlings arrest to the media until after the league has investigated. Im not excusing what Merling did, or supposedly did, but theres always more to the story than what we initially hear.

The Phins are far from being anywhere near the type of team that had guys like Pac Man and Chris Henry....although Chris started to get his life together before he was killed.

Why is Miami media so driven to stir up ****? I dont get it...really?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  37. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Fo' Realz

You don't win with a team full of choir-boys

38. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well just never mind. Someone already thoughtfully deleted that post

39. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Young Team = Young People = Young People Problems

40. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I dunno, we got a guy with a bad hip out there. Another guy who couldn't see toward the end of last year... if those are young people problems, then I can't wait to see what problems the Pats are going to run into.