1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Herald: open letter to Ted Ginn

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The game, it has probably occurred to you, is violent. Pain is part of the game. Contact is part of the game.

So why do you sometimes seem so averse to that contact?

On several occasions this season you have been seen getting down, prematurely it could be argued, before a group of tacklers bring you down in the open field. On several occasions this season you have been seen seeking the nearest sideline to end a play before you are touched. On one forgettable occasion you passed up the chance to gain a first down in an important game and simply got out of bounds for no apparent reason other than to avoid getting hit.

Dolphins In Depth

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Salguero must be bored. So Ginn doesn't like contact? Who cares? He wasn't signed to be Hines Ward. And a lack of contact hasn't hurt Marvin Harrison's career.

GRT8, SICK, Fin-Omenal and 5 others like this.
  3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I hate armando.. all he does is stir crap.. had you identified who the author was, I never would have have given him the traffic.

GRT8, DOLFANMIKE, Agua and 4 others like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, he had a rare decent article yesterday but as a whole..err..no thanks.

5. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    I am tired of this crap about Ginn. Why get him killed and lose another receiver.....I mean is that what people want??

Blade, baboo72, first&goal and 2 others like this.
  6. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah he is not real big and he is not a power guy. Why would w want him to get hurt? He was yelled at after the 3rd down play where he went out of bounds. I think he does a good job for us

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't like Armando, but I think that the article has merit. Ginn just waltzes out of bounds every chance he gets- it's fair criticism. He's getting better, but he drops too many passes, hesitates to much on his returns, does and always will lack initial explosiveness (see punt returns- no mystery he's not there) and shuffles off the damn field too often instead of fighting for yards. Salguero isn't exactly a fan favorite over here- I'm not crazy about him or Omar Kelly for that matter- but I think that the article stands on its own.

PhinsFanWife likes this.
  8. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Drops too many passes....:lol:

Care to enlighten me as to how many drops he has this year??

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Go ahead and look it up, I'm not sure. I watch the games and I know what I see, and he's dropped balls. He's gotten much better, but he's dropped his share.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

He waltzes out of bounds because 190lb wideouts don't fare too well against 220lb safeties at speed. Same complaints aren't levelled against Reggie Wayne when he does it or Marvin Harrison and Wayne is one of the best wideouts in the game and Harrison is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

I've seen Ginn drop 3 passes all season, 2 in the same game, the first of his Miami career.

This is all conjecture. I'd rather have Ginn lining up at WR ready to make plays than on the treatment table because Jim1 wanted him to lower his shoulder against Jon Beason.

GRT8, 2k5, Rocky Raccoon and 6 others like this.
  11. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Two drops came because he was looking up field to make plays, against Denver and the Patriots. The other drop came in the same New England game.

baboo72 and gafinfan like this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You have a right to your opinion. Have a nice day in London.

PhinsFanWife likes this.
  13. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

So you'd rather him pointlessly take on linebackers and big safeties to gain an extra half yard? If he needs to on 3rd down or to stretch over the goaline, then so be it; lower the shoulder, get what you can. But on a regulation play, I want him in the line-up rather than on IR because he tried to take on a Donte Whitner or a Kerry Rhodes and got knocked stupid.

Blade, SICK, HugeFinFan and 2 others like this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ted Ginn is our leading Wr in terms of yardage, if he goes down we are looking at Bess and Wilford starting for us...

He also has an outside shot at 1,000 yds for us, the first Wr to even sniff that in years, if that means he avoids hits, that is the way it is, as long as he doesn't alligator arm passes or make a habit of going out of bounds early, it's not like Ginn is going to punish safeties or cb's the way Ronnie does.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    So I guess that the coaches were stupid for reading him the riot act after he sashayed out of bounds. Maybe we should have factored in his frailty before drafting him in the top 10. As I've stated before I would trade Ginn for Dwayne Bowe in a heartbeat. That being said, Ginn has improved quite a bit this season, so I'm glad to see that.

16. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Ginn just needs to play his game. Yeah, on third down and close or at the goaline, he must "take on" whomever is coming at him to try and keep the drive going or get the score. On a regular play, diving out of bounds do avoid a crushing blow and stay to fight another play, is fine with me. Just has to know the situation and play accordingly. That will come with experience, playing time, and coaching.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You were there in the locker room when he had the "riot act" read were you?

Ginn is what he is. You take off fraility points and throw in playmaking points. It is what it is.

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No, of course not. SIlly questions don't deserve an answer, but I'll indulge you since you're so far away from the action and I have the advantage of all the daily, local media down here in south Florida: he got an earfull on the sidelines.

19. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Hmmmm lets see:
    Dwayne Bowe - 6'2" - 221 lbs.

Ted Ginn - 5'11" - 178 lbs.

Marvin Harrison - 6'0" - 185 lbs.

Nope, I'll take Ginn and Harrison all day long and in 1/2 a heartbeat. Teddy please just keep running out OB or falling down and MAKE those plays. Don't want you hurt my man!!

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I've forgotten more than you know sonny Jim. And have you ever heard of the internet? It carries the same stories!

SICK, baboo72 and Conuficus like this.
  21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    When Ted Ginn starts playing like Marvin Harrison, let me know.

PhinsFanWife and SICK like this.
  22. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Yes I have heard of the internet, young Boomer. But you probably miss out on all the local media that carries the nitty gritty. I'm sure that Santa will put an extra peppermint candy in your stocking for the effort. As to you having forgotten more than I know- doubtful to say the least. Again, your delusion rules the day. Have a good one accross the pond.

23. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    do we think ginn is going to be breaking gang tackles and taking it to the house? if its clear hes gonna get hit and tackled id rather he go down...

its the old rams mike martz philosophy he told torry holt and issac bruce... GET DOWN... and look at the success they had... a small WR isn't going to power through gang tackles, so id rather he stay healthy than have someone roll up on his knee while fighting for a yard he most likely wont get...

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Except we both know that's not the point. The point is that if he protects himself like Harrison, then better for Miami.

gafinfan likes this.
  25. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Not to go too far OT, but Ginn over Bowe?

Or am I misreading sarcasm. :)

26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Are you one of those silver surfers old Jim? You might not know that the "nitty gritty" makes the internet. It also makes for nice conversations WITH the local media.

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Make up your mind- is it "sonny" Jim or "silver surfer old Jim"? Maybe Santa will bring you a Silver Surfer comic to go along with the peppermint candy. Well, another day and another seires of rants by young Boomer. I guess it's time to put you on ignore again. When you get over your tantrum stage I think that I'll be able to take you off.

28. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    You incited that by telling him since he lives in Britan he cannot possibly know what is going on with the Dolphins. He was having a nice discussion with you until you decided to throw that out there.

Boomer likes this.
  29. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    to get back on topic. The first thing i think of when i think of ginn isn't big physical guy that can barrel through safeties. I think of a short receiver with a small frame.

30. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Stick to the argument that you lost.

SICK likes this.
  31. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You wish- again your delusional state reigns supreme. Have a crumpet on me.

32. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    What's a cumpet?

Is it like a carpet?

Or is it an octogenarian word for trying to describe Chad Pennington as having bad mechanics?

Stick to the Ted Ginn story. You want him to take unecessary punishment, most of the rest would rather he was on the field. It's no biggie.

33. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ginn isnt a big physical WR. Of course he is going to shy away from contact. You guys want him lowering his shoulder? Hes going to get killed...

The problem is that we cant use Ginn vertically... and are having to use him like a possession WR. And he isnt one...

Boomer likes this.
  34. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    No, it isn't a biggie. I would like to see Ginn play more aggressively and fight for yardage, etc. You know, play football. You wouldn't like to see him fight for those yards so that he can stay healthy- I get it. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's a matter of perspective. Your "I won the argument" comments are childish at best. Let it go and move on- I don't come on this site to fight with you on a daily basis. If you don't agree with my opinions, I can easily live with that.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The reality is that his lowering the shoulder and heading up field will probably result in more injuries than yards after contact.

Boomer likes this.
  36. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Perhaps this will be of help to you- get to know your peeps and your culture:

"A crumpet is a savoury/sweet bread snack made from flour and yeast. It is eaten mainly in the United Kingdom, but also in the nations of the Commonwealth."

A crumpet is a savoury/sweet bread snack made from flour and yeast. It is eaten mainly in the United Kingdom, but also in the nations of the Commonwealth.

Crumpet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's even a picture there for you, young Boomer.

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Boomer knows what a CRUMPET is. You had written Cumpet apparently.

Honestly this 'fued' (if you want to call it that) between you guys is getting really annoying.

jdang307 likes this.
  38. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'll be happy to edit in the "r". My apologies. I'll be happy to spell check next time.

39. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Along with more fumbles which result in Turnovers, which result in losing football games.

I'm ok with the 5-8 yards Ginn sacrifices, as long as he holds onto the football.

Boomer likes this.
  40. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Might help if you spelt it correctly pops. I'm sure the old eyesight is going and it's hard to see the keys.

Did you think we were playing Ann Francisco this weekend or were you confused because she sounded like a date of yours during the Civil War?

SICK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.