1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Heat's Beasley goes to rehab.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by phinnhedd, Aug 24, 2009.

1. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    After Michael Beasley got a new tattoo, he posted a picture of it through twitpic, a part of twitter that allows users to upload pics and share them with the world.
    [​IMG]

If you look to the lower right of the photo you can clearly see plastic baggies, one perhaps filled with marijuana and another above it that sort of resembles cocaine.

Over the weekend Michael Beasley reportedly checked into rehab voluntarily.

Heat’s Beasley admitted into rehab center.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    They were just talking about this on the radio here.

This guy should have to do jailtime just for being so damn STOOOOPID!!!!

3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Can Beasley be the new MR. Cool Ice?

phinnhedd likes this.
  4. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Pretty bonehedded to take a picture of your drugs and post it out there for the world to see, especially being a role model/big money athlete. I hope rehab cleans him up and he can concentrate on refining his basketball skills. I'm not a big heat fan, I'm an Orlando fan and if he was clean I wouldn't mind his skills on the Orlando squad.

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually Beasley went to K-State, not KU. :wink2:

You may recall that Mario Chalmbers and Darrell Arthur got in trouble with Beasley during the scouting combine, if I remember. Both of those players were Jayhawks.

6. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    [​IMG]

Nice resemblance.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  7. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    My mistake... My buddy is a KU fan, if I'd had said that to him he'd have given me tons of ****. Don't know why I think I mixed up Chalmers and Beasley in my head.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    This reminds me of Brandon Flower's incident.

9. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Very bad situation for Beasley and the Heat...

Essentially you have a mentally unbalanced kid trying to fit in as a global NBA superstar.. Pat should have stuck to his instincts when the draft rolled around.. All indications from the Heat pointed towards a troubled kid with character issues.. Too late to go back in time. His trade value is probably diminished by 50% or more...

I'll let all that go and wish Beasley the best. I hope he can come out of this stronger and more focused on his career.. I also know that no quick fix exists for mental illness and that the road for him will be a long and arduous one.

10. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    i don't think that's cocaine and i didn't know there was rehab for marijuana. this might just be a PR move.

11. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think this a PR move. This is a national story. If it was a PR move it would have been about the marijuana problem. This is about depression and suicidal gestures the kid made on Twitter...

12. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Yes, just read the twitter comments. now that's troubling. I hope everything turns out ok. He's got a lot of talent, but all the talent in the world means nothing if one isn't mentally balanced.

Bumrush likes this.
  13. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Sad but true..

I genuinely feel bad for the kid and hope that the organization stands behind him 100%, regardless of his play on the court. It is a good sign to see that he is in rehab....... But like I stated earlier depression/ mental illness has no quick cure... Especially if this something rooted in his character from his early development.....

On a professional level I never thought Beasley was a good fit for the Heat.. Everything from his tatted up body to his attitude on the court indicated to me that he wasn't the typical Pat Riley franchise piece... But I'm over that and want the kid to get better.. Who knows, it may help him mature a little a bit, but I'm not counting on that.

Loyal Fin likes this.
  14. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i feel bad for him to be honest...a mistake like that could really put someone over the top, if he already has depression problems...

i think the cocaine is a reach though.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Anyone Mr. Section 126 for commentary on this?

:lol:

As for Beasley, it seems like he has a good support network, the team and his family both seemed to want him to check into rehab.

16. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    :)
    Section may have to join Beasley after all the love he displayed towards him..

:D

padre31 likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He may have to join him in rehab after the season the Heat are about to through...:sad:

:yes:

Bumrush likes this.
  18. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Much to do about nothing.

PR move...orchestrated byu the heat.

So he smokes alot of weed.

so what.

Michael Jordan drank and gambled like a maniac while he had a real taste for hookers. (true story)

Magic Johnson and james Worthy had orgies complete with coke and "paid" entertainment.

This is the NBA...you aren;t trying if you are not smoking something.

19. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    i dont think him checking into rehab has much to do with smoking. i think it has to do more with those tweets after he took that picture..

20. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    C'mon Section, you can't justify his illness by pointing out others that did the same or even worse. 2 wrongs don't make a right... The referenced guys you mentioned were mentally tough superstars that had experienced the pinnacle of success in the NBA. Beasley is a 2nd year player who seems a bit aloof and is very immature.

If this is a PR move it is the dumbest PR move in NBA history. We have effectively lowered his trade value to nil... This is no PR move. This is a sick kid that made suicidal gestures and is crying out for help. The only good thing that will come out of this is that he will get some help. Nothing good for the Heat unless he matures in rehab and regains focus.

padre31 likes this.
  21. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    bye bye boozer. Hope the kid gets help or he'll be out of the league before his next contract.

22. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    What a ****ing idiot. That's the only thing that hit my mind when I read this.

Big E likes this.
  23. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Why does he have a pair of folded reading glasses tattooed on his back? Sideways?

What life-altering moment does that commemorate?

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Of course, let's see if the man completes rehab.

Sect, wasn't this the guy that should not be traded to improve the Heat this season? I'm not quite remembering completely on that one...

But heck we got "Q" Richardson, he has plenty of frequent flyer miles from this past offseason, maybe we can use those against the Cap as well?

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Did you notice it is "Super Cool Beas"?

Damn...that is just pathetic...:lol:

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    WTF did Boozer have to do with this?

We weren't going to trade Beas for Boozer anyway....that would have been stupid then and NOW.

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Read this s....l....o....w.....l....y:

We...were...NOT...going...to trade...him.

28. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yes....this was the guy.

and anybody that wanted to trade him for a quick fix did not and does not know basketball and I have no interest in debating this sport with them.

Your insistance on this bull**** is bordering on Dumb Padre.

Do NOT...get on the bandwagon for 2010. Fair warning.

Think about it.....his skills have not gone anywhere. He had a problem and he is getting help for it.

How IS THIS A BAD THING?

he will be better because of this..

it's ****ing weed. jeez.

29. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    His tweets show a troubled young man. I hope he gets some peace in his life. It saddens me, because I rooted heavily for him in college, as he made my beloved K-State Wildcats better.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  30. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not about the fning weed.

It is a VERY BAD thing when you develop a reputation in the league at such a young age. What if Pat wants to move in a different direction this year as we gear up to resign Wade and build a contendor? One less player that we can get value for. Good job Beasley- Trade value = ZERO.

Maybe if he tats his face up too he'll feel better.

31. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    FOR THE LAST TIME.

we...are...not...and were....not...going...to trade him.

anyway...when he averages 18 and 8 this season...his trade value will be higher than ever.

You guys really forget how many young players went through similar stuff to this....and all of them weed related.

32. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    As it turns out.......

this was mandated by the NBA because of his violation last year where he was fined 50k.

so....yep...it is all about weed.

33. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    is chalmers in rehab too? what about joakim noah?

34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Evidently....they did not fail a drug test. Beas did.

35. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Doc, I had no idea you were a Wildcats fan.

He was liked - LOVED - in this town. I mean he pretty much owned it - the college, the town, everything.

He probably should have stayed in college another year. It's clear he's not used to dealing with setbacks or adversity.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sect, you may, perhaps, consider that I've followed the NBA casually for a long time now, I've seen scores of cats just like "Real Cool Beas (idiot)" and what I've discovered is fairly simple, when a young guy is screw up, they will remain a screw up, bounce around the NBA for a bit and end up being a footnote in a game of Basketball Trivial Pursuit.

In the NBA everyone is talented, it is the intangiables that make the difference, if a player does not have them to start with, they very very rarely acquire them once they are millionaires...they have no reason to, NBA coaches are neutered and contracts are guaranteed.

You can use CAPS or bold predictions, or even prop bets, the fact remains, Real Cool Beas (idiot) is a screw up, and absolutely nothing will change that fact.

If the dude went off the rez on Pat Riley, then who exactly does he respect enough to listen to and change his act because it ain't going to come from inside him...

37. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Evidently you don;t follow the NBA very closely.

Just off the top of my head.....

Alen Iverson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Chris Webber
    Gary Payton
    Larry Johnson
    Kenyon Martin
    Josh Howard
    Rasheed Wallace

and there are many more....

all of those guys had alot of trouble as young players, and all went on to have great careers. (Three HOFers there) And that is only using this current criteria and not digging deeper into even worse problems others like James Worthy, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan had.

Beasley is 20 years old. You are wasting your time with this bull****.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What does each and everyone of those players have in common Sect?

Try the moved on from the team that drafted them and I recall most of those guys having strong personalities/do my own thing types, but iirc, none of them checked into Rehab....

NBA trainwrecks tend to grow progressively worse, not better.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Really? Kareem? Magic? Shaq? Dwade?

I know I'll not convince you Sect, but time will prove me right.

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And they both left Charlotte because Shinn refused to pay them, but they both did move on.....................................................................

If you say so, I do recall Riley reportedly urging him to check into the rehab center, but..time will tell.

We'll see, I see bust in his future, you like him and do not, time reveals all things, when the pressure mounts my guess is Beasley goes ghost/cracks up.