1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami gets some love!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Nov 19, 2014.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...dinals-rise-to-the-top-patriots-close-behind/

Nice to see the Phins getting the respect I believe they truly deserve. This team is MUCH better than the record shows. Last second wins by Green Bay and Detroit, both top ten teams is why we're at 6-4 instead of 8-2.

With the physical beating Denver took last week in St Louis, I am truly optimistic that Miami can pull out a win in Denver and be the team NO ONE wants to play.

2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Unfotunately the Bengals probably thought they were going to walk all over the Pats after watching them get their asses kicked by the Chiefs. We can't take Denver lightly. They will be pissed off. They are coming back home after a tough road stretch. Their fans are going to make that place loud, and the players are going to be giving it everything they have. Manning is going to be extremely well prepared for this game. We have to play our best game of the year to win this one. And by that I mean our dline needs to get home in 3 seconds or less nearly every passing down. Our offense can't play like **** in the redzone. And we can't play the typical 4th quarter offense where we let up and give the other team a chance.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I know many are anticipating that we will beat Denver given their struggles and injuries, but I see us losing a close game, just like Detroit and Green Bay. mainly for the reasons GISH just mentioned.

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I don't think we deserve to be in the top 4. Top 10 maybe.

Stitches likes this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I'm not saying we should take Denver lightly, not one bit whatsoever but with the physical beating that Denver took last week and with the level our defense is playing, we could feasibly keeping Denver's offense on the sideline. We did it before against Manning in the loss to Indy in which we controlled TOS, 49:00. Our offense just wasn't producing back then.

I really truly feel that if our team stays focused, we could pull out an upset and as I said, be that team that no one wants to play.

6. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    This.

I do not see this team as a top 5 team. Somewhere around 8 or 9 makes more sense to me. If we go into Denver and get a win there that would go along way to making me think otherwise.

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The Packers at 6 are underated IMO.They should be No 1 or No 2 with the Patriots following .The Cardinals dont convince me yet.They are due for letdown .

Sorry to say that No 4 is a tad high for our team but lets enjoy it while we can:pointlol:.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    in this case, theres no opinion that factors in, its based on metrics.

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, a win at Denver and doing the job at NY and Minny and we likely squeak in...anything else is gravy...

10. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I don't know Crunch. Depending on which rankings you look at, New England, Green Bay and Detroit are rated higher than us. We beat New England, granted week 1 but still, we beat them (personally, I think The Pats are suspect), we man handled both Green Bay and Detroit, just lost in the last seconds of the games. I just really feel we are a much better team than our record indicates. We SHOULD be 8-2 instead of 6-4 and I truly feel that if we are able to rattle Manning as we have before in the past, keep him on the sidelines, control the ball on offense, we have a real shot at beating Denver and being the hot team going into December

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

I'd be happy with top 12, and top 6 in the AFC.

12. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    What matters is do we finish games? We haven't and we are most certainly what our record is. We don't deserve high praise just yet.

As for Denver, they are beatable. But I just don't see them having another bad game. Even minus Thomas, Sanders and Ball. Manning will find a way to use what weapons he has. He was embarrassed against the Pats and Rams, he's going to be extra motivated against us. Sorry, just can't see us winning this week. Hope I'm proven wrong.

13. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    It is nice having to argue that people are ranking us "too high."

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    100%

15. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Mid Nov ranking number 4 on any power ranking is really a good direction for this team.

ElNino likes this.
  16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Happy for the praise, but this guy is cray cray. Green Bay is a machine right now. I will say, on Nuetral ground, we are better than the Lions. I think handling the Bills the way we did, sent a message. They are a solid team. We wore that D out. Dominated their O. And that's a team that took it to a red hot KC, the week prior... And has been tough all year. I don't want to get hopes too high. We have a monumental task this week. We are tough tho, so long as we keep showing up.

17. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    No, it says that he bases his rankings on a variety of metrics that varies from week to week....which essentially means he guesses.

18. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the metrics change weekly, yeah, then its kind of pointless to tout that your rankings are based on "metrics"!

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hmm, i interpret that as he bases the ranking on a few different metrics, {i.e. cruches the numbers and gets the result} and if they change week to week, the teams ranking moves..

looks to me like a stats ranking like the old bcs system no?

unluckyluciano likes this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    why, metric can change week to week.?

unluckyluciano likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ''gives his rankings based on metrics and stats''...

what am I missing here.?

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO every team in the league is beatable, not just in an "every given Sunday" way, but in a there are several top teams that are vulnerable to other top teams. I would place Miami in the top 10 in my own subjective ranking, but I believe they're capable of beating any of the top teams (probably Denver, NE, KC, GB, in no particular order). (I do think there's an argument to be made by use of metrics that my subjective ranking is too low).

Aqua4Ever04 and djphinfan like this.
  23. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    It's too bad, but a healthy Moreno and 'Real' TE would make this team a serious SB contender right now ....

Not knocking Miller, but Moreno just brought something beyond being a RB to the team ....

77FinFan likes this.
  24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Shoot, St. Louis, Miami and Kansas City...that's quite a trio in a three week stretch.

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I agree, maybe another dependable athletic WR too. Just think how many points we have left on the field and how dominant our offense would be if we had the right set if playmakers to execute. This is why I'm leaning towards giving Hickey/Philbin/Lazor another year to do so.

26. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    The problem with comparing teams in the NFL is that there is no even playing field. Only way this would really work is by playing everyone. 32 game season anyone? Or better yet, 64?

:)

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Power rankings mean diddly squat to me. I'd rather see us be under appreciated, and teams take us lightly. Hope our boys don't let some power rankings go to their heads. Just go win the games and ignore things like power rankings.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While it is always nice to see the Dolphins get some recognition outside the South Florida area, most power rankings this week have the Dolphins ranked between 12-14.

That at is probably where the Dolphins fit at this time. If they can go into Denver and beat the Broncos this week, they will certainly show that they deserve a top ten power ranking.

29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think Manning relies a lot more on his skill players and knowing who will be open pre-snap than he used to. I mean he's always been that QB but in the past his post-snap adjustments were better because he had the arm to rip the ball in even if he never had an elite cannon.

30. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    According to Football Outsiders, our DLine is #12 in rush defense and #6 in pass defense. Our Oline is #7 in rush offense and #14 in Pass offense.

Averaging that out and comparing to every other team in the league, we have the #6 defensive line (1.Buf 2.Jax 3t. Det 3t.Den 5.NYJ) and the #6 offensive line (1.NO 2.NE 3.Bal 4.Ind 5.Atl).

The only other team that ranks top ten on both lines is Baltimore (#3 Oline & #7 DLine).

If you want to know why we are ranked so high on metric-based rankings, it's because we may have the best pair of trenches in the NFL. When that's the case, you have the chance to control, and win, every game. And you can see in our victories, that's exactly what we do.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

31. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

7 games against the top 5 defensive lines in the NFL...2-2 so far.

32. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Top 10 for sure. We are 5-2 in AFC, top 5, and up there with top of NFCN although we are 1-2 against them.
    I think we are better than the Bengals and the Colts, who hold top 4 seeds. We will find out whether we are better than the Broncos.

33. PhinFan1968

There's another stat that has a decent formula for determining strength of teams that has a top 6 ranking for the Dolphins:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/sagarin/

So the MSM guys are still tripping over their own BS...that's fine...we know what's up. Phuck 'em.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    bottom line..dont want no love, we aint done sh%$ yet.

77FinFan and MrClean like this.
  35. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    If these dopey rankings had them at 15th you would all be crying.

36. PhinFan1968

Some MSM ones do...I don't pay attention to those.

37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

THIS!!!! :knucks:

djphinfan likes this.
  38. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    It looks like there is going to be winds 20-25 MPH & Gusting. Temp in lower 30's. Our DL'S will get to PEYTON and not only sack him several times but also hit him many times. Under constant pressure and no zip on his passes we could even get a pick 6 or two. Our D will show up ! ! ! Tanny & Co. Will show up and. Play well and lead us to victory ! ! Do not worry y'all...WE WILL BEAT THE BRONCOS ! ! ! 31 - 17

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ryans balls are made to cut wind...:lol:

40. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Lmao