1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins win early vote in support of state help

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ozzy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

CashInFist, Bpk, smahtaz and 4 others like this.
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Looks like this is likely to happen, like it or not.

Given the fact that we just had a Super Bowl blackout, and the likelihhod of a blizzard next year make it all the more comical that SunLife is not good enough for the NFL.

Hopefully the county makes a "not terrible" deal. A "good deal" is an impossibility.

Just so everyone is aware, what this committe vote approved is a tax on everybody, not just tourists. $30 million in sales tax revenue over ten years is $30 million that cannot be used by the state for any other purpose. That is an indirect tax. So the notion that the citizens of Florida have been asked to contribute nothing to this project is false.

Now, it's a small amount in the grand scheme of the project, but it's something to keep in mind.

bakedmatt and Desides like this.
  3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Renovating the stadium should create tons more jobs (I believe I read an estimate of about 4000 in the paper recently) and will help us get more Super Bowls that benefit the entire South Florida economy. I think it should get done - everybody just has a bad taste in their mouth from the Marlins (understandably so).

4. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I doubt the project needs 4,000 construction workers. Once it's finished the stadium will need no more workers than it has now.

Also, I think it's a mistake to presume that without these upgrades we will never get another Super Bowl or National Championship Game again. I think we would. And even if we do upgrade the stadium, we're looking at what 5-7 SBs and Nat'l Championships over 20 years?

Hardly seems worth it to me.

At least my seat will be nicer if this goes through. Although I'm sure I will be charged more for it.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    There's overwhelming evidence that the NFl is rewarding city's with superbowls who help fund their new stadiums..new York, Indy, Detroit.

We will lose out to San Jose, so to get back in the rotation, we must join together for the big picture, having a beautiful engaging stadium that can make us all proud is imperative to the success of our football culture for both programs.

6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Once the team starts winning again, you will be charged more for your seat.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't give a sh8&, I'm excited as hell because we're in a desperate situation...we need this real bad...

8. Ozzy

I expected the State to give a small amount but could not find what your referencing.

Here is what the vote on the bill states.

9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Then Ross is free to spend his own money on it and collect all the profits.

And understand, that's what this is about. Ross wants these upgrades to increase his revenue and the value of the team. If it was only about getting the Super Bowl (and "helping the community", lol) then Ross wouldn't need to put up any money at all, since the stadium getting the Super Bowl does very little for him personally.

This whole Super Bowl notion is the only way to get the public on board.

10. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Here is a quote from the Sun Sentinel. There are two votes. One for the sales tax subsidy, another for the local option. The one for the local option isn't coming up until March

11. Ozzy

The NFL only cares about the roof to protect the fans. They made a bigger deal out of the rain in the super bowl than they did with the power glitch this past weekend. Goodell has his priorities backwards.

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This post pisses me off Schmoot..hardly worth it, really...tell that to canes fans who lose out on recruits who go visit the program on game day at sun life and decide to go elsewhere..

13. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If goodell cared about the fans he never would've awarded next year's Super Bowl to NY.

It's extortion, pure and simple, at least in our case where they are threatening to withold something if we don't comply. The Super Bowl is also used as a carrot for these other cities as no one ever dreamed of spending Super Bowl week in such exciting locales as Indianapolis, Detroit and Houston.

14. Ozzy

So basically the State is making sure they're getting at least 3 million back in sales tax but I don't see anywhere where it says it's going to be a tax on us.

15. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So the Canes getting recruits is worth $30 million dollars mostly coming from people who culd care less about the Canes?

And in reality, how is the stadium affecting their recruiting? It seems to me Golden is doing a great job.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  16. Ozzy

The NFL has been dying to give a Super Bowl to New York. They have, by far, the most fans in the NFL..

17. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Like....?

18. Ozzy

The renovations will have absolutely nothing to do with Canes fans showing up.

19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The state not having $3 million dollars per year that it would have spent on some other service but that the Fins are now keeping is a tax on you. You either will see a cut to some service or there will be a corresponding sales tax increase or proerty tax increase.

Like I said, it's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of the project but that money could be put to better use, that would benefit all, or most Floridians

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no, Ross and company are aware how pathetic the stadium is relative to energy and atmoshere, and understand that they need to do something about it, or their going to continue to lose money, putting the roof on and moving things closer to the action are musts, then combine that with simple common sense, improve the stadium or you lose superbowls, Ross is doing the right things on all fronts..of course it's about making money for himself, and the community.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I really don't think you have the proper vision in place as it pertains to building a culture in a metropolitan city...

The stadium has to be a lure for special events, when you land special events it improves your city's image, economy, and culture, the culture benefits that come from a special type building will be felt throughout the city, and throughout a national image perspective..

You are not landing World Cup soccer events with the piece sh$& that's in place.

22. Ozzy

No, it's a very small amount. Like I said, if it's true, the Dolphins pay more per year in sales taxes to the state. But unless we see the entire bill they voted on it is still unclear. The quote I found said something totally different than the one the Sentinal's said.

23. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You are talking about two different things. The desirability of the upgrades from a fan experience perspective is not in question. I agree with you, that it seems great and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

That is completely separate from the question of whether or not such upgrades are valuable enough to the community at large that public funds should be sued for them.

On it's face, the answer is clearly no. SunLife is not decrepit. It's more than adequate to watch a game, and when the etam wins people are more than willing to go there. so when something is fairly obvious on it's face, you need to alter the equation, which is where the Super Bowl comes in.

Now whether or not getting the Super Bowl 5 times over 20 years is worth $200 plus million dollars is for the county to decide. I don't think it is, but if they do then so be it.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If done right, it will absolutely affect both programs attendance numbers.

25. Ozzy

Yeah, except if the Dolphins field a real playoff contending team without doing a lick of renovations, Ross would make a killing.

Even though the attendance is down a ton, Ross still made a staggering profit according to Forbes.

26. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    There was nothing wrong with our image the last ten times we hosted the Super Bowl until it rained. You also presume that we will never get another Super Bowl unless these upgrades are made, which I simply don't believe. Sun Life hosted the Super Bowl multiple times while places like Indy, detroit, Atlanta, Houston, etc., got the game once. that's because Miami, given the climate and multitude of other amenities is a prime destination for that type of event.

On the World cup, those events come around so infrequently that it's not worth getting excited about. The next available World Cup is what? 2022? And I don;t even know if the US is bidding.

27. Ozzy

No it won't! It will make the fans cozier but unless there is a winning program it won't matter one bit.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would say 5 superbowls in twenty years is worth 200 mill to the economy..how much do you think they make in twenty years staying status quo?

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    if done right, the intimacy will affect the players performance in a positive way, if done right more people will want to come, it's all about connecting and engaging the fan into the action, once that happens, many happy things can grow from it.

30. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I imagine we get a couple of Super Bowls even if we do nothing.

But still we got 10 Super Bowls in 45 years. 5 over the next 20 is probably pushing it.

31. Ozzy

Ok then why don't you explain to me why the University of Miami's basketball program could hardy sell out a game until they started winning? In an arena that is built perfectly to accommodate the fans.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Oz, our stadium puts our team and its fans farther apart then any other stadium, if you don't understand how that can affect atmosphere, we have nothing to talk about, if you don't think atmoshere affects revenue and attendance you would be wrong.

33. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    And that sounds great. And it's something that Ross might want to conider paying for himself. If he then needs to charge more for tickets/parking/concessions, etc., people can at least evaluate for themselves whetehr the price is worth it to them. If it's as fantastic as you suggest, then people would gladly pay the premium.

I've yet to see anyr ationale for the public expense, however.

34. Ozzy

We would not have to talk about it if you didn't cram it down my throat on every post. And by that I mean, insisting I don't understand about how far the fans are from the field. I've told you over and over it would be nice and that I've said this long before you or most people for that matter.

What you're trying to say is completely untrue when it comes to fans coming to the stadium. I'm not buying season tickets to be in a cozy seat, under a cozy roof if the team sucks! Period. As a matter of fact, the team sucking, had a lot to do with me giving up my season tickets after YEARS and YEARS....

35. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    schmolioot likes this.
  36. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Probably, but that has nothing to do with the construction. That happens in every sport when a team starts winning.

37. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This isn't coming out of the pockets of the local public. It's a hotel bed tax. I don't see why anyone would be against it.

And one thing I think people are forgetting is the stadium needs this. With the seats so far from the field the crowd noise is a non-factor. Moving the seats in will change that. Also having shade will make a huge difference for the fan experience.

38. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    A small price to pay by the citizens of Florida for the revenue a Super Bowl brings to town, something else to keep in mind.

39. Ozzy

But it seems that there might be 30 million coming out of the peoples pocket who live in this state. It's not perfectly clear quite yet.

Crowd noise is not a non factor but having the seats closer will be better. Heck, the Raiders game this season was nearly half full and it was loud as hell...

40. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    This portion of the funding is coming from the resident taxpayers. It's a sales tax rebate of at least $3 million per year. That is money that the State of Florida has been collecting from the Dolphins to use for general services which it will no longer have.

That is a tax. Either services will be cut or there will be a corresponding icnrease somewhere else, either in sales or proeprty taxes.

Now it's not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but it is still $30 million plus that would have been used for schools, police, health care, etc. that is now no longer available (or won't be ocne the full legislature votes).

The rest comes from bed taxes, that is true, but the county will still need to issue bonds and borrow money up front. The bed taxes will only generate $200 million over ten years, maybe more. They need the momney now. So any interest, etc., is a tax. And if for some reason there is a shortfall in the projections of what the bed tax will bring in, the money to repay the bonds comes from somewhere