1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins unveil Plans to Upgrade Stadium.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If I'm being completely honest, I don't really care too much about the outside looks. It's what's inside that really counts.

You getting this ladies?

Seriously :lol:, I'm more concerned with the improvements inside the place. Outside might not be the best looking stadium in the league, but I have a feeling it'll look better once it's done. But the game will be played inside. That's where we'll be. And that's where it will rock.

2. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

The thing is they can get the same look on the inside and make it look good on the outside :yes:

3. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The common 'issue' seems to be the roof.

How else can it be done?

It's hard to add a partial roof to an existing stadium. Especially one like ours that's more of a 'V' shape..... and designed 25 ago with no intention of ever having a roof.

Cost is also an issue, especially since the public would be paying for some portion of it. There may be other options that are more aesthetically pleasing. But I would guess they're also more costly.

Mile High Fin and jetssuck like this.
  4. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Without knowing the actual specs for the existing structure its a hard question to answer. My expertise is more on the mechanical side of things but there are a ton of ways to add support to a structure. This problem really should be especially easy to solve considering the material they want to use for the roof is rather light weight.

I'm sure that the design they chose has as much to do with them actually liking the design as anything.

5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I should send in my concepts for a new stadium at some point.....problem is I'm about 4-5 yeas out from having my license so they'd probably just pocket 'em...

6. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    We could always just build a new stadium

jetssuck likes this.
  7. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Are you gonna judge the ladies on those same standards or is that just for you?... :shifty:

I understand your feelings about the inside of the stadium and functionality over aesthetics.......and that you want to stay in the race to host the SB.

But in that? The entire country would be making jokes about it to the point that we might not ever be asked again until we tear it down. I'm thinking it might be to our benefit to just take ourselves out of the race for a while and concentrate on a new stadium, as opposed to forcing the design based on need and turning JRS into Frankenstein.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  8. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Not really sure, I know a lot more about building one than designing it...but IMO it has less to do with the roof design than the fact that it just doesn't match the building. That rendering looks like something built with extra parts...lol

9. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami

Of course it will.

It wasn't the NFL being worried about players getting wet.

It was the NFL worried about keeping the high profile "fans" attending that are the only ones that can afford to attend Super Bowls dry and coddled.
    This is exactly what the NFL wanted. The NFL was actually against a fixed dome as the draw to S. FL. is the outdoors.

jetssuck likes this.
  10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I actually agree with this and seeing that other aspects of the stadium will continue to get outdated, overall, building a new one now may actually end up the cheaper option long term.

jetssuck and LandShark13 like this.
  11. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    They should use the money set aside for the Marlins new stadium and use it to build the phins a new stadium, and then use the money for renovating Landshark stadium to make it more of a pure Baseball stadium.

NoCalFinFan likes this.
  12. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    couldnt happen fast enough....the seats moving closer to the field of play is the important thing...lets get to the point where the fans can be positive 12h man in the action (ala Orange Bowl)

13. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Of course I apply that to the ladies. I'm not a pig. I just prefer they incidentally be smoking hot, too. :lol:

I've long been a (huge) proponent of a new stadium. But I've since given up on that, as Huizenga's building projects....and now the Marlins stadium.....pretty much killed any chance of it.

Nobody likes to be made fun of. But if this ends up being the most feasible/affordable (funny saying that word) way of doing it, I'm not as picky as I used to be.

Mile High Fin and jetssuck like this.
  14. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
  15. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

If those panels weren't metal but some sort of photo voltaic panel. The Phins good get a nice Tax writeoff as well as appealing to the greenies.

It's still ugly

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I haven't really been fallowing this thread.
    What is the deal?
    is there a word of when this could possibly be approved and when the building process would start?

17. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    It appears the roof will have glass, or some kind of transparent material on the metal frame.
    Not a "mesh screen" material, as that would NOT stop rain/water from seeping through.
    Not metal panels, as the rendering shows it being transparent.

I think it's an awesome design. No design would be perfect. There's always a trade-off between pros & cons. It would be a unique design in the NFL. Very interesting, and cool.

Stitches likes this.