Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Paul Soliai makes good first impression
2 replies
1. For one night at least, Paul Soliai looked like a better option at nose tackle than Randy Starks.
The official stat sheet credited Soliai with two tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery, while Starks had no official stats (jeez, even Tyler Thigpen got credited with a tackle). That, of course, is sure to regenerate the debate over whether the Dolphins are making a mistake in moving their best defensive lineman last year from defensive end to nose tackle.
Coach Tony Sparano has explained the thinking behind the move: the 6-foot-3, 305-pound Starks is almost identical in size as Dallas nose tackle Jay Ratliff, who was a Pro Bowler last year. What is less clear is whether the two teams’ defensive schemes are at all similar or whether Starks is as adept as Ratliff at handling double teams. One hesitates to draw conclusions from one game, but the Starks who was so noticeable last year was all but invisible Saturday night.
Soliai, meanwhile, was anything but. He was in the face of the quarterback, blasting through the middle of the line and disrupting the Bucs’ running game. Yes, he did it mostly against second-teamers, but it offered a reminder that the 6-4, 355-pounder has the size and bulk one normally sees as the inside anchor to the 3-4 defense.
Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up:
The key is how is nolan gonna get solai and starks on the field at the same time without dramatically affecting his scheme....There are so many combination's that are available with the skillsets he has...
Tell you what though, our short yardage run defense with Odrick, Starks, Solai, and Langford seems pretty damn stout if you ask me... sounds like a hell of a 43 dline.
Also gotta find ways to get tony Mcdaniel more PT..

I could see Starks and Soliai at the same time to stop the run. For some reason I can't see it for passing situations. I know it is possible but from my limited mind, I can't see it. I like that idea though, I would like to see that somehow to throw off the offense.
Win, Lose, or Tie, I will be a Dolphins Fan Until I Die:up: