Miami Dolphins' second-year guard takes inspiration from his dad

4 replies

TiP54TiP54New MemberOP
Jun 19, 2009, 12:39 PM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2009/06/14/0614dolphins.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Learned alot about Murphy. He is a good kid, again, CHARACTER, this guy won't get in to a car with 28 people in it.

Sixteen regular-season games came, 16 regular-season games went, and 16 times, Shawn Murphy didn't even put on a Dolphins uniform last season.

I literally forgot about this guy during the season.

The Dolphins saw enough to trade up in the fourth round to draft Murphy out of Utah State despite his inexperience. Murphy had spent two years in Brazil on a Mormon mission starting in 2002, leaving the United States as a 295-pounder and returning at about 240.

Where was I? Didn't know he went on a morman mission. Am I the only one?

Coach Tony Sparano is confident there's enough talent at right guard among several candidates, the others including Donald Thomas (the opening-day starter last year who has battled injuries), Brandon Frye, Ike Ndukwe and Joe Berger (who worked with the first team Sunday).

This kid got alot of competition.

Fulfilling that has meant adding muscle, toning up and reporting in better shape. He is listed at 6-foot-4, 315 pounds.
"If it tastes bad, eat it," he said. "That was my theory this off-season."

Insert dirty joke here? :shifty:

"I was miles and miles away from the closest American and I sort of was forced to adapt to the surroundings and learn the language," Murphy said.
"It showed me that I was capable of doing hard things like that. I try to think back on that on days like today, days in camp where it's really hot and tough. At least I'm in America and I know what's going on. It doesn't really compare to some of the tough situations I had down there."

I think going thought that, will help him to deal with his situation here.

the 23rdthe 23rdNew Member
Jun 19, 2009, 05:15 PM

Murphy needs to step up
got Andrew Gardner & J.D. Quinn in the rookie mix this year

- Competition is the Elixir of Success -

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2009, 05:38 PM

"the 23rd wrote:

Murphy needs to step up
got Andrew Gardner & J.D. Quinn in the rookie mix this year

Gardner's a tackle.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Jun 19, 2009, 05:46 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

Gardner's a tackle.

tackles can be moved to guard. see herremans, todd.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

PhinsRockPhinsRockLuxury Box
Jun 19, 2009, 10:24 PM

They kept this kid for a reason, I hope we get to see it soon. Would be nice if he turned into a really solid guard for us.

2011 & 2006 World Champions, 2013 National League Champions; St. Louis Cardinals!