1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins: Jay Ajayi makes Ezekiel Elliott unnecessary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    https://nflspinzone.com/2016/04/24/miami-dolphins-jay-ajayi-makes-ezekiel-elliott-unnecessary/

The title is pretty stupid, but I pretty much agree with this piece.

IMO, getting a really good DB is critical. It's the team's biggest need with LB or G being a close second.

I remember someone in the Club mentioning how that, in today's NFL, because of the rule changes, DB isn't as important, but I strongly disagreed. IMO, DBs are, if anything now more important because with the rule changes, they have to be able to cover and cover well and often play tight on a receiver without drawing the penalty. That's more difficult. You have be fast, play tight, instinctive, quick reacting and be very aware and play with great control, man or zone. That's difficult. Maxwell certainly hasn't eased my concerns much.

....and yes, there are some good RBs who they can get later on. I don't think the same can be said about DB.

It's nothing against Elliot. He seems like he will be a good player, but I think it would be crazy and a dumb move to take a RB with the first. However, I don't think that will happen.

Hmm. Yikes.

G and LB are a close second. G is a close second because there are none worthy of 13.

I like L. Floyd a lot, but Hargreaves may be there and he would be my pick.

I really don't think WJIII(what's up with the "thirds" at CB this year.) is worthy of 13, but I do like him as a player. VHIII is the guy and I don't mean Van Halen with Gary Cherone.

Taco Bob, Itsdahumidity and number21 like this.
  2. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Imo, EE would be a gift at 13, and WJIII would be a reach, I completely disagree with the author that WJIII is nearly as good as VHIII, this is a weak year for CBs, and because it is guys will be over drafted.

The only CB I would take at 13 is VHIII, and even he has ?'s with his size/speed ratio, but is way ahead of the "others" as far as technique, and is the only "ready to start" CB imo, and if he and EE were still there(lol), then I would have to think on who to draft, but only because of need.

BPA theory would not be a tough choice for me, EE's ceiling is top 5 RB, but I do not feel the same about VHIII, his lack of deep speed and small stature will keep him out of that running imo, I do feel like he can be a very solid CB, but not elite, but I think both have high floors.

I really don't feel like Apple, Mac or WJIII are that much better prospects than Taylor was coming out, they could be great, but just like Taylor, they could struggle, all 3 of these guys should be carrying their own yellow flags around, especially Apple.

Yes the D was bad, but so was the O, it's hard to say who was worse, imo EE is a top 5 player in this draft, if he's on the board when we draft... but he won't be.

Pandarilla likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if Ajayi was coming out in this draft he'd be in the top 3.

resnor and dolfan7171 like this.
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Your first pick should be BPA. Now if two are close in your rankings and one is a need, you take that into account.

Agua and dolphin25 like this.
  5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    If they get Jack or Hargreaves for a 3rd round pick that would be well worth it. Especially Jack.

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's a two back nowadays, is it not?

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lamar Miller was a 4th round pick.

Jay Ajayi has tape he can play well against NFL teams, while no rookie does.

The panicking over RB is absurd. All we really need right now is more talent on both lines and a LB or two.

8. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you mean if he didn't have the red flag health wise that dropped him last year?

As far as Elliot, people are overrating him IMO. I'm fine if he's there at 13, but if we trade up for him, we'll regret it later.

Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  9. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Spot on Sceeto. We can find a good RB later. Plus, the rumor about Elliott & "party drugs" is alarming to me.

I do however prefer Jackson over Hargreaves. Vance's press scheme would be Vernon's undoing. IMO he'd be rag-dolled by bigger WRs.

Sceeto, dolphin25 and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah kind of..I think the knee is no longer an issue.

11. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Thanks bro. Eli Apple is also good in press. You then have to wonder about how much he benefited from having so many great players in front of him. Though, if you study enough, a good scout can still isolate. I like VHIIIs all around game better, but it's a tough call.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bring Alex Collins on board.. had a bad combine but I still believe in his football and playmaking ability.. And he's from South Florida..

13. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Who would you rather have cover Brandon Marshall and Sammie Watkins, Hargreaves or Jackson?

Hargreaves - *Chirp* *Chirp*

Jackson - Crowd roars

I'd like to think that we are better than just regurgitating Mel Kiper's mock drafts on this message board.

14. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    but do we have good scouts and would they be listened to?

Sceeto likes this.
  15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Exactly as I see it as well. Apple has the size and mirrors well, but he doesn't locate the ball well enough;i.e.he's still young and learning the position. WJIII does not play the run well. Any cornerback is risky at 13.

Elliot and Henry are both complete backs and can run well between the tackles.

I hope Grier and Tannenbaum are sure about who they want to target. The different scenarios are seemingly infinite.

in my mind, if we have to pick at 13, it looks like Conky and Lawson would be the wisest/safest bet.

Finster likes this.
  16. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    We are not fine with Ajayi is our clear-cut No. 1 ....... Elliot or not.

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    DB's are not as important as they used to be; that is true. However that is happening due to the increase in value of a safety as the rule changes have made TE matchups a nightmare for defenses.

If you mean to use DB as an overall umbrella to include anyone in the secondary, then yes they are still important. But as a position as it relates to that of safety then no.

Also it's not just corner we need; it's a specific type of corner we need. So the bigger question is if one is not there at 13, when do we conceive of getting one as there are only so many of particular body type running around.

Pandarilla and Sceeto like this.
  18. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    We Definitely need a RB....So, Ideally we'll get the best one out there....spinning this any which way is a waste of time. If your implying Miami would pass up Elliott at #13 to draft someone they rated lower at another position of need because they're so confident in Ajayi being the guy.... Please just stop. You should already know we were going to select Gurley last year, had he been there. TBaum wants his fantasy stud RB. Gase wants a ball carrier he can count on too. It's highly likley Elliott quickly becomes one of the best backs in the game. What else is out there that will improve this team so much day 1 ?

Redwine4all likes this.
  19. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Can Ajayi pass block? Can he catch passes out of the backfield? Does he have a good sense of where to run and anticipate when holes open up? How does he do with adversity (ie, play blows up and he has to improvise)?

These are all unknowns, couple that with his knee issues, and I'm concerned about the RB position as is. I'm sure they will draft a RB at some point, doesn't have to be first round but something other than a still raw Ajayi and Daniel Fumblin' Thomas would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dolphin25 likes this.
  20. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Ajayi was touted as being the most complete back in the 2015 draft. He is the opposite of raw, imo. He's basically Elliott in size. Which is why I believe we're better suited drafting Henry, somehow.

God, beyond that this team is rife with scat backs and project guards. I'd be happy with Elliott or Henry.

However, when I hear about next year's class, it gives me pause to value Elliott so highly. Thinking ahead, I could live with Ajayi being the primary runner this year. He did it handily at Boise St.

Tin Indian and djphinfan like this.
  21. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah bro. I hear ya', but I disagree about the DBs. I agree with the points you make about Ss. For years, I have been banging the drum for a good S. In the Club, I made the first thread about Earl Thomas. I was harping on the need for a good FS. (Argued with some about his tackling abilities :wink2::lol: )

For the reasons I previously listed, I still think that DBs are just as important as they used to be, if not more. As you're saying about TEs, teams have so many threats from WOs to slot guys to TEs, to backs out of the backfield, etc. A S can't help with all of that. Some of it, yes, but you still need some very solid DBs to cover everybody and a really good one to take care of the main guy and his part of the field. I mean, look at stuff like OBJ and Norman, Grimes when he was playing at a high level, Revis when he was dominate on his island and several others. Look at the contract Norman just got. With all of these threats on the offense, it's so good to have a solid DB to, at least, hold his own against a team's main receiving threat and have the Safety, etc, to help with the others.

I think LB and G are huge needs as well. However, there are no Gs really worthy of 13. LB could certainly be the pick and I wouldn't be upset with that either. I think that you may have a better shot at finding a good LB later on rather than finding a real solid DB later on. JMO. I think their are some good situational, certain package type of DBs, like Cyrus Jones, etc, who you can get later on, but not the real play making type that we need.

dolphin25 and Pandarilla like this.
  22. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    I agree completely. Needs? We need great players...esp in round one. I love myles Jack...but if we take Elliott, he makes our offense better vs Seattle. That has to be considered.

23. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    If Ajayi is as good as some believe, then drafting Elliot would just be a totally wasted pick. I would assume you would want Elliot to be the featured back picking him that high, Ajayi would become nothing but a backup despite some believing so much in his abilities. I would rather role with Ajayi and draft another RB later.

Sceeto likes this.
  24. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Everyone familiar with the Dolphins knows that Ajayi is a great RB. However, it also widely believed he shouldn't be depended on to be a bell cow.

The Dolphins are going to be drafting one or two or even three RB's to compete. We have two 7ths and I love some of the late prospects.

I agree, first pick doesn't demand a RB, but nevertheless RB's will be drafted.

dolphin25 and Pandarilla like this.