1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins enter a crucial time as NFL free agency unofficially begins this week

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdang307, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article10275161.html

Pretty decent and fair read.

DeDolfan, Fin4Ever, SICK and 9 others like this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I can't argue with this article. Seems very fair.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No one to blame but the fans and local media.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  4. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Or the people actually making the decisions. Ross, Ireland, Philbin, Hickey, Aponte.

5. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Don't think Ireland's making the decisions any more

why start the thread if that was going to be the outcome

Surprised coming from a quality poster like yourself

6. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ireland's fingerprints are all over the article. Not sure why he should excluded. It's a collection of bad decisions from all parties I mentioned, all of whom are still here except Ireland.

Fin4Ever, MrClean and shamegame13 like this.
  7. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Ireland definitely plays a role in this article.

RevRick likes this.
  8. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd guess Philbo has something to do with the lack of culture and teaching ability. Why do promising youngsters take forever to see the field? Why do we continue to fail with guys like Dallas Thomas when it's clear that guys like Billy Turner are superior?

Rick 1966 and Fin4Ever like this.
  9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    What win-now attitude is that?

IIRC, aren't we one of the youngest teams in the league?

10. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Did you see what happened to all that cap money we had? Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, etc. etc. Win now doesn't mean you go sign a bunch of Reggie Waynes. We've only done a moderate job developing players.

2socks likes this.
  11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That's still not win-now, imo. We didn't sell-out the future bc we spent a lot of our cap money.

Those signings are bad bc of talent evaluation, not strategy.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Could you imagine if the CEO of Apple caved to media attention? If we can actually blame those two groups, then either the decision makers have no conviction which is an indictment on their abilities to do their jobs or their convictions are in line with the media and fans and based on current results that's also an indictment on their abilities.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Are you saying big companies don't? Hmm. Interesting.

14. A mix of youth and experience is what they should be looking for. Teams need both.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

In terms of products, they cave to profitability. Apple tells their customers what they want for the most part.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So what other teams do that then?

Near I can tell, all teams are pressured to win now, by the local media and fans. The Dolphins don't sell a tangible product. All they can sell is winning. "Come with us for the long journey", does not sell tickets and merchandise. Winning is the only commodity in the NFL as far as the consumer is concerned.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Only thing I don't agree with is that the Dolphins have been screwing themselves with respect to the cap. They've legitimately underspent the last three salary caps by about $7.5 million on a cash flow basis. That isn't contributing to any kind of cap nightmare scenario.

18. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Somewhat off topic but I'm interested in your thoughts on salary cap vs salary floor. Most people view cap space as how much a team is able or going to spend. Is it wrong to say that many teams are just looking to get above the cap floor and have no real interest in using all of their cap space? And for the Dolphins specifically, do you think Ross' stadium renovation expenditures will have any effect on his willingness to pay large bonuses to potential FAs?

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, to me it is a mix, under performing FA signings and rookies and young players who do not play very often their first yr.

Take Jelani Jenkins, objectively he blossomed yr #2, OV blossomed, Clay has performed well, Sims showed well this past season etc. The real issue imo is Philbin squanders talented players cheap yrs. By the time a young player is accomplished in Miami, it is their contract yr.

miamiron and mi2cents like this.
  20. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Organizationally Miami has been a disaster the last 3-4 years. Ireland was a Parcells disciple who clashed with Philbin's philosophy and the result was many good/solid players either leaving or being severely under used. Bush, Dansby, Burnett, Marshall, S Smith, Vontae, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Jordan, Fasano, Jerry, and of course Wallace. My hope is that now everyone is pulling in the same direction but it remains to be seen.

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, would not agree with "disaster", we have been run of the mill.

Now to me the turnaround will be when Cautious Coach Joe pulls the stick outta his backside and tosses some youngsters into the fire ASAP along with cracking the offensive line code.

For whatever reason, offensive lineman just do not develop in Miami, and have not in a decade w/o either an expensive FA contract or high rd draft pick.

22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't think we're in cap hell. But I do think, what did we get for that money again???

23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The Dolphins absolutely sell a tangible product. Primarily broadcasting rights to televise games. They also sell merchandise. They sell seats to fans to watch live games.

The Dolphins collude with 31 other teams to form a cartel and split the revenue amongst themselves. The Dolphins are guaranteed 1/32nd of the majority of the revenue. In return they get the security of not having their financial health at the mercy of football results.

Pretty ****ty for fans. It removes any financial motivation for owners to innovate, which in turn results in inhibited evolution of the game. But it is great for owners.

Tannephins likes this.
  24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Since the new CBA, the idea of a salary cap hell has dramatically changed IMO. It is much easier to get out of contracts on a yearly basis. Money has shifted from guaranteed bonuses to guaranteed salary, and in conjunction with offset language, the owners have been able to claw back some money from players. There are a lot less cap hell situations now than before because there is less dead money on the books.

25. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think Stephen Ross is willing to spend money if he feels it is the right investment. Case in point the coaching staff in Miami is one of the cheapest in the league. But he also has gone after guys like Harbaugh, who was much higher paid.

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It is collection of average decisions IMO. If you spend big money on FAs like Wallace and Albert, I think the results in Miami are maybe even above average.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    A lot of the cap money has not been spent. The Dolphins have signed some expensive FAs, but they have also essentially ignored a lot of the veteran types. This team has stuck with outright bad players while more capable veterans were available.

28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    one would hope. But as evidence in the final games of the season -- another collapse.

we are going on 2 yrs since Ireland, and he is still being used to blame short comings on. I do not buy the whole blame it on Ireland thing. Philbin had 2 years with Ireland and one would have to believe Ireland completely ignored the needs of the team and the wants of the coach. It sounds like Philbin gets a pass then until all traces of Ireland are gone? Very depressing if this is the case. Philbins schemes and plays didn't work because of Ireland. Philbins 2 end of season collapses are because of Ireland.

No wonder this team is ****ed.........................no accountability

It is ALL Hickey and Philbin at this point. They own it. **** Ireland. Let's call a spade a spade. I know, I know it's easy to CONTINUE to blame Ireland, because that gives everyone hope that these guys (because they are out from under the thumb of Ireland) can manage to get something done.

I say we have to look at the body of work as a whole and it's easy to see the truth. We are no further then we were when Ireland was here and are headed into what amounts to most likely a 8-8 season. I hope not but, I don't see what has changed. Except the names (but that is to protect the innocent) We are up against the cap with a mountain of holes to fill and some major signings that need to occur. With the exception of Tannehill, I would explore what else is available. But that takes balls and putting it on the line. I think Philbin will continue to hide behind Ireland for as long as possible.

But that really depends on the theory being applied to the situation? For example: Do we create a hole by not signing Oderick in hopes of getting better or do we just over pay him because we got so much else that needs to happen. Tough spot to be in. How about Moreno or Charles Clay? Should we really Give Matt Moore 5.5 million? WTF I bet they just pay them all because that is the easy road. What we all do as fans though is sit by and continue to hope next year will be different. Sad truth is it is next year already.

And if they just double down How do we get better????

Whats that saying again? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result --WELCOME to year 4 of the Hickey/Philbin show

29. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't think the article was fair. I agree that Ireland blew it with the two LB signings and they haven't allowed young talent to develop.

But, the OL signings are a misnomer. There was one vet signing that was a guaranteed starter - and we did not have a LT on the field. The other vets signed were marginal starters, at best (Smith, College, Satele). Plus the stats of 46 sacks is also a misnomer. That happened only after Albert went down and several other injuries took place. Prior to that the OL was playing very well and had given up far fewer sacks than the previous season.

This year, Turner has to step into a starting OL spot. So too, Jordan. I do think on defense, more than other spots, the Dolphins are hurting the young guys (McCain, Jordan, etc.).

30. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Huh? The 1 year anniversary of his firing was just last month lol.

Fin4Ever and jdang307 like this.
  31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    TWO SOCKS!!! {smack smack smack} with an english backhand..are you ok!!...lol

can you visualize it, dolphin fan goes spazoid until fellow dolphin fan comes to his rescue and wakes him up.

32. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Whoa. 2socks, back from the future. Where is the Delorean :D

So does this mean ... 3 more years of Hickey and Philbin???? OMG.

33. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Hickey is going into his second year. I don't think you can link the two together.

34. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    always proof read and don't use a cell phone

now I am running away with my tail between my legs to hide......(barely heard wimper)

Piston Honda and djphinfan like this.
  35. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Whew.

So hopefully we're not stuck with Philbin and crew for another 3 years lol.

36. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Unless he miraculously pulls a SB victory out of his ***, which we all know is highly doubtful.

37. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    We have Aponte and Tannenbaum. We'll be just fine after Ross gets his stadium priorities in order.
    No need to worry with this franchise, I tell ya'.

38. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While I agree that winning is the only thing that matters. Because who in their right mind wants to follow a losing team?

The fact is that the Dolphins have done a lousy job of convincing the fans in South Florida that they are trying to win. That is why fewer and fewer fans actually show up for games and the television ratings for Dolphin games in their home market is near the bottom of the NFL TV ratings.

Fans just don't believe in this ownership or the management of the team and it shows up by looking at all the empty seats on game day.

For those who want to blame it on South Florida fans for being lousy fans. The Miami Heat has the fourth highest locale market TV ratings in the NBA this year. Even though they are well below 500 and may not even make the playoffs this year.

The difference between the Heat and the Dolphins is that fans in South Florida have faith in the ownership and management of the Heat. They know that Riley will do whatever is necessary to bring a winning team back to Miami and the owner will support him.

The Dolphins under Ross have gone nowhere in the last six years. He hires individuals to run the organization that no one else has any desire to hire for these same positions.

Fans do in fact demand a winning team. Especially after their team has basically been nothing but mediocre for the majority of the past decade or more. The blame for what is wrong with the Miami Dolphins lies totally on the ownership and the management team. The fans and the media have zero blame for the mess this organization has been since Ross became majority owner of this organization.

39. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    There is a reason both Aponte and Tannebaum are no longer with the Jets and it certainly isn't because they were great at their jobs.

The only people happy about Tannebaum being put in charge of football operations are the fans of the other teams in the division. In fact Jet fans through it was a great hire, for the Jets. They figure it will only be a matter of time before he takes the Dolphins to the bottom of the AFC East. Just as he did the Jets.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No post proves my point more, then ^ this one.

That's why I say the local media and fans are to blame.