1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins Combine Preview

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
  2. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    it is funny they mention game film on Hargreaves. The film I watched was not all that impressive for a DB ranked to go in the top 10.

3. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Preach, Dolphin25!

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I've never seen anybody on a forum like this actually find anything to like about a CB prospect, besides measurables. It sure is much easier to find things to like at other positions. That's why we defer to real scouts. Every year we find reasons not to like an elite coverage prospect who quickly becomes a good corner in the NFL.

5. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    Same with 'good' players at other positions we seem to miss.

6. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    So this guy is a top 1-3 DB, yet Florida had him off the ball 10 yards or so at times. Makes no logical sense.

7. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    It's scheme that does that, just because you have a good CB, doesn't mean you have to put him in press, that has more to do with defensive philosophy.

Brasfin likes this.
  8. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Exactly. And Hargreaves seems to actually be pretty versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua352yPBQNk

Pretty good breakdown of Hargreaves here.

Finster likes this.
  9. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I get that, but why one earth would you waste him like that? I would have him pressing and shutting down the best WR game.

10. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Mainly because they aren't just worried about the best WR in the game, and it's done at the NFL level as well, any time you have a zone based philosophy, and it's not uncommon for press CBs to be so-so in zone, which is more cerebral, and heavily reliant on football IQ.

When you have Hargreaves dropping into that zone, or off man, he can make a bigger impact on any other receiver/runner in or near his area, especially with his ability to diagnose and close so quickly, there are many times when he arrives at someone else's responsibility at the same time or before they do, he truly does shut down that side of the field, not just one WR on that side of the field.

If you put him in press, then it becomes easier to clear him out of that area, and attack underneath, because he won't be facing the QB, with his ability you can easily make that case that using him in press is wasting some of his best abilities.

11. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Scooby Wright,will be one hell of a Linebacker i want him for us

Gesendet von meinem ALE-L21 mit Tapatalk

Sceeto likes this.
  12. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I dont watch any college football and have no clue about any of the players but from the highlight videos I have seen, Darron Lee is who I want us to draft

13. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I think he may slip to the third or later.

14. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Ive heard good things about him, but not watched any tape yet

15. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    My boy Doughty threw the ball real well at the combine.

16. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    My guy Prescott killed it at the combine too, I see a potential 6'2" 230lb Russell Wilson in this guy.

17. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Man, I thought it was bad enough that Bosa was the son of John Bosa, looked it up when I first saw the name, but I just found out that his uncle was Eric Kumerow, WOW, I don't know what to say now, related to 2 of the biggest draft busts for us.

18. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I thought I read Prescott did not throw the ball well. I'll have to go look.

19. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State: The search for a viable option after the first two quarterbacks (Goff and Carson Wentz) makes Prescott an intriguing candidate. He was one of the top performers in passing drills, exhibiting outstanding accuracy, timing, and touch. He consistently put the ball on the mark on intermediate throws and showed a deft touch on vertical passes along the boundary. He also showed impressive footwork, balance, and body control when he dropped back, which shows growth after spending his entire college career operating from the shotgun. Considering Prescott's rock-solid intangibles and his impressive leadership skills, it's quite possible several teams could consider him a worthy candidate early on Day 2.

gunn34 likes this.
  20. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Heard Dion Jordan was Joey Bosa's cousin...

:chuckle:

ripper1961 and Pandarilla like this.
  21. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    That would answer a lot of questions, lol.

22. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    He looked good in the east west shrine game.

23. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    One of the things I really like about him is that he plays well in the big games, his leadership/intangibles are really high, he didn't take the easy route in college, he has been training to be an NFL QB, he could have just used his physical abilities, as most QBs that can, do, but he has taken the NFL route in learning, when he breaks the pocket he's still looking to throw, and he uses(as best he can) NFL QB footwork, iow pocket QB technique.

He's done this on his own initiative, which is smart, too many "mobile" QBs don't bother to learn until they get drafted and then most times it's pretty much too late, he's already laid the ground work, and has improved drastically, add to that he's also an honor roll student.

I think he could be a "Tebow" that can throw, or a 6'2" 230lb "Wilson", he's my favorite player in this draft.

I am of the opinion that if he's there for us in round 2, I couldn't pass him up, he would be real competition for Tanne, which I think is good, because Tanne has never really had real comp, and he wouldn't be comp for this year, but he would be job security comp for Tanne.

If Tanne rose to the occasion then Dak would be good trade bait next year, heck, he might even draw a 1st round pick next year from a QB needy team, and if Tanne doesn't rise up, then you can just start the Dak era, win-win imo.

24. Rex Deus

Rex Deus Guest

As the kid wouldn't even exist had Miami not taken John Bosa and Kumerow in 87 and 88, I think the least the NFL could do would be award him to us as compensation for two awful back-to-back picks back then.

25. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    The big baby clause...

Finster likes this.
  26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Damn!!!! I've had Dak in my mock or wish list for awhile now, but I was hoping to get him in the later rounds. Now, with all of the buzz and hype around him, he's definitely going to go much earlier on. Just sucks! I may have to move him up. This is not exactly a knock on Tanne. I am behind him for this coming season, at least for the first few games, but right or wrong, whether it's his fault or not, this is it for Tanne. This is certainly his last shot. I think you have to do all you can to help him succeed, but it's time to bring in some insurance policy just in case. It never hurts to have more than one quality QB on the team. This way, you have a guy to groom if Tanne doesn't work out and if Tanne does blossom into a franchise guy, than you have some good trade bait.

27. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I am a huge Doughty fan, but I am not sure I would want him on the Dolphins. My opinion is that no QB is going to get any real shot while Tannehill is on the team. It's been stated they have protected him over and over, there is no way they bring in anyone for legit competition for him and bruise him.

28. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    Andrew Luck would get the real shot as a rookie... none in this draft deserve it (at our pick). Bringing in someone for competition is fine... but a 'real' shot would require superior talent over RT and his big contract. Ain't happening so far. They may have protected him mentally... but building an adequate OL would have been real protection. Which they have not done.

29. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I agree that he has been protected, but there is no one left in the FO that was here when he was drafted, so maybe no one here that will continue to coddle him.

If he does appear to be coddled still, then it's coming down from the owner, and that would not shock me, but maybe the babying days are over.

Doughty is a real good mid to later round prospect imo, but I think from his showing at the combine he will slide up to a mid round pick from a later round pick.

30. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I find it interesting on what Gase is saying. At first he implied Tannehill would be awesome, then he said it might be the first part of the season before he knew playbook. He also first said that Tannehill would be able to audible, now he is saying "well, it depends on the other players." seems like some back tracking .