1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins add fourth-, seventh-round compensatory picks for 2020 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Mar 10, 2020.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    xphinfanx, KeyFin and Sceeto like this.
  2. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    We are happy with that and then there's.

The New England Patriots led all teams with four comp picks, including two in the third round (Nos. 98 and 100). New England will have 14 total picks in the 2020 draft.

3. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    At the start of 2019 we were hoping for a 3rd round pick, primarily from letting Jawuan James walk. However because injuries cut short his playing time (only played 3 games iirc) it turned out to be a 4th round pick.
    It shows a flaw in the draft/develop/let walk/compensatory pick cycle that some people advocate. It is a cycle that New England, The Ravens and the Steelers seem to use. The flaw is that the players you let walk have to contribute for other teams to consistently get high picks. For a team like the Dolphins that doesn’t have a core of home developed talent to build on and replace the people who walk away it becomes too much dependent on outside factors to be reliable.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Agree, but I think it's still a good strategy and I am all for it. We just haven't built our core yet. If we manage to get any offers, I am also for the strategy of trading back a pick this year and getting a pick, one round higher, next year.

5. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    In theory you can eventually get 3 or 4 first round picks every year by trading 2nds for future firsts and 3rds for future 2nd and so on. Once you have that again in theory you can trade back and then trade your extra picks for more future picks.
    The problem is that to make that theory to work you have to have 2 or 3 years with very light drafting while you stockpile your future resources and I don’t think any team would be disciplined enough to make it work in reality.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.