1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged:Vontae Davis Traded to Colts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rdhstlr23, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  2. dolfan22

Like Michael Crabtree ? he won't be the type of actor the team is currently enamoured with imo.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ireland supposedly had most of the 2009 draft, and then 2011 & '12 were his.
    {Pat White---- was Parcells' pet-cat pick}
    Sean Smith--- could break into the upper echelon of corners this year
    Daniel Thomas--- seems like a stud in the making
    Jon Martin------ way too early to determine his worth

2008: Merling was Parcells' pick.
    2008: Henne was agreed upon by Sparano, Parcells, Henning, and Ireland.
    2010: Misi----- still too early to determine his worth. Not sure if he was Parcells' or Ireland's doing, but it's implied to be Parcells'.

Where do you get "successful 1st round pick" from?
    Successful would mean the player met his 1st round expectations, which VD obviously did not.
    Vontae isn't even worth a high 2nd, but Indy is giving that much for him for the same reason we spent a 1st---- for the hopes his light finally comes on.

CWBIII, toto and Alex44 like this.
  4. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The future of our team and #1 priority is Ryan Tannehill, not the recently demoted Vontae Davis.
    So in that regard it's wise to trade the present for the future b/c Davis does nothing to maximize Tannehill's ability and development, where as a 2nd round receiver could.

5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Production is a relative term.
    If you hired him to be the company's top producer yet he's not even his department's top producer, he's expendable.

6. dolfan22

Very positive on Tannehill , the future of this team rests on the ability of Jeff Ireland to secure talent and the coaching staff to develop that as best possible. Will the influence of Philbin change Ireland's draft patterns? If his track record stays the same , 17 could be 13 and we won't be a true contender , imo.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    nobody knows this. for all we know he could be having a talk with ireland about it now. in the same way he spoke to the team about publically disagreeing and said his door was open to anyone that has a problem with his decisions. if philbin disagrees we wouldnt hear about it, but ireland might. the fact is that neither one of us knows. its irelands call no matter what. i would like to think ireland does consult with the coach but who knows.

8. dolfan22

And if you hired him because you were supposed to be the best evaluator of future success and contribution to your company , would you then be expendable? Would you be if you made multiple poor decisions?

MrClean likes this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    "Phinsational" you need to come to grips with the fact that Ireland has NOT done a good job here. Your too intelligent of a poster to let that little red headed dork make you look so foolish defending him.

He's garbage, can't wait to replace him

10. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    Skins are likey going to cut Anthony Armstrong. He's a guy Jeff Ireland is familar with played in Shanny's WCO the last few years as well.

11. dolfan22

apoupartFins For those who don't think a player can break out after 3-4 years, look at Vontae Davis' brother, Vernon. In Miami, just look at Paul Soliai

MrClean likes this.
  12. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    ive never used twitter. is it so and so (@-talking to) so and so? or the other way around?

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ???
    Pitt traded 1st round [#25 pick] Santonio Holmes for a 5th rounder. (the pick actually became Antonio Brown)
    ......and Holmes & VD are quite similar in both natural ability & headache ability.
    A potential high 2nd rounder plus conditional 6th is a near steal for us.

14. dolfan22

I don't either , but this : OmarKelly “@sdub32: Name one solid 2nd round pick by Ireland? just one” - Sean Smith 3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

It's sdub32 asking to name one solid 2nd rounder and Omar saying Sean Smith , so like that lol...

15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It is obvious this team is going nowhere this season or for the next couple of seasons. So if they are really in the rebuilding mode, which they refuse to admit. I think they should go ahead and go into full rebuilding mode.
    Trade Jake Long, Cameron Wake, and Carlos Dansby.

Long is no longer the dominant LT he was his first few years in the league. Injuries have diminished his skills and he is a free agent after this season. Trade him while he still has some value or lose him in free agency to a team willing to overpay him, based on his play earlier in his career.

I admit that Wake is the best player on the defense, but he is already 30 years old. By the time this team is rebuilt, he will be on the decline and the Dolphins should get what they can for him right now. In fact a team in need of a pass rusher just might be willing to give up a first round selection for him.

Dansby probably wouldn't be worth more then a late 3rd or 4th round selection, but he is vastly overpaid, based on his play, and he is another player who will be in further decline or already released, by the time this team is rebuilt. He also doesn't appear to buy into the Philbin plan.

If the plan is to rebuild for the future, let's do it right and go for broke, because most of the players now on the team aren't going to be on the team when and if, this organization finally gets its act together.

Make all these trades and hire a new GM, who knows what he is doing. That to me, is all it would take to get this organization headed in the right direction in the future.

16. dolfan22

A steal? how so? any guarantee on the production of who that is? Potentially a near steal , also potentially a bomb.

Potential is a coach killer , although , apparently not a GM one in this case.

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Teams really overrate draft picks.

dolfan22 likes this.
  18. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    No doubt we use it on a RG.

19. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    iam at a loss for words its going to be fun to watch the texans and patriots play us this year or any team for that matter

20. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Just because a team is rebuilding doesn't mean it should get rid of all its talent. You rebuild by filling holes, not digging them deeper.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  21. dolfan22

Not a fan of Holmes other than his football production , he played a big part in getting the Jets to the final four , that would be parade time in Miami .

22. dolfan22

apoupartFins FYI, last time Dolphins got a second-round pick in a trade for a player was 2008 when they got a 2 and a 6 from Skins for Jason Taylor

23. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    This is not a good move. True, Davis was underachieving...but a good coach, a coach with confidence in his ability, would try to change that attitude, not just toss the player, particularly when it's a position we are not deep at.
    Yes, we're rebuilding, but if we keep making NEW HOLES, we'll never wind up filling ANY of them.

24. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    If Ireland is making the pick, it might be a RT. Since this years 2nd round draft pick looks completely overmatched in the NFL.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Vontae is a good kid. IIRC Ron Zook affirmed as much and supported him.
    Sometimes a GM has to put faith in his coaching staff developing the player and getting his head 100% in the game.

26. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Won't be a steal if we draft scrubs with those picks.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  27. Hiruma78

Hiruma78 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

After reading every post, I'll say this: I get the motives, about not being shape and being the 3rd corner and the attitude problem and sending a message to the rest of the team about the way to be true professional, but I would have prefered that, considering his talent, they (new coaching staff) would have tried to develop/correct him, at least for 1 year. I think that his talent is worthy.

anyway, they made a different choice, we will see how it goes.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  28. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    coaches job is to deal with egos not trade away your talent because you don't like a player

Nappy Roots and Hiruma78 like this.
  29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would agree if I thought this team was going to be able to rebuild quickly, but I don't. I see it taking at least three or four more years and I just don't see any of these players I mentioned being real productive in the NFL in three or four years.

In fact I will be surprised if any of them are still active players in four years, because of injuries or age.

30. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Vontae was a player we could do without who has value to someone else.
    That's the crux.
    Not sure what else to tell you.

31. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

If one of us were running the team, I do!

With Ireland, im not so sure he won't trade the 2nd away for a 3rd and conditional 7th

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  32. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Patriots didn't trade him. He signed with the Eagles as a free agent.

And the Patriots are not a model of player evaluation, acquisition, and development. They're coasting on Tom Brady's arm and Bill Belichick's reputation. The Patriots are particularly awful at DB evaluation, having drafted damn near 10 DBs over the last five years, with perhaps just one (Devin McCourty) to show for it. (Brandon Meriweather is not good and is no longer on the Patriots.)

The one thing the Patriots do in the draft that the Dolphins should emulate is the accruing of high draft picks through arbitrage.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't know who picked him, but I do know that we were w/o a starting corner and that Parcells had already made up his mind that 2a was reserved for Pat White.
    That essentially means we had to take a corner #1, so I can't argue with the selection.

Look at the alternatives:
    Alphonso Smith. Denver spent a 1st rounder, #14, on him....... Smith was traded for Dan Gronkowski the following year.
    Darius Butler. NE cut the #41 pick after 2 years.

At least we got a 2nd & 6th in return for Davis.

Bpk likes this.
  34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Parcells or Ireland. Who cares? They didn't sign on to be his babysitter.

Who initially hired the coaching staff who seemingly failed to develop & motivate some of our picks?

35. Sorry but I just do not think Vonte was a player that they should of traded at this time. As has been suggested earlier, this is a pass happy leauge and having solid DBs means stopping drives. It does not do a lot of good to surround Tannehill with Talent if he never sees the field because our defense can not get off of it. Im not going off the deep end over this but I do not see this as a solid move ny the organazation. IMO even if this was damage control and the best move for them to make, it was a step backwards for them and it reflects poorly on the organazation.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

1) this tells us Jeff Ireland thinks the 2013 draft is a strong one. Stockpiling picks for it.
    2) I think Jeff has shifted from drafting safe to create a foundation on the roster to now wanting two or three big talents to add. This offseason, expect him to trade up at LEAST once in the draft, and to get a WR and pass rusher in the 1st round through trades. Other starter holes will be signed via FA.

I think Ireland is doing what's necessary, but it sucks for this season.

ToddPhin and Phinatic19 like this.
  37. dolfan22

I care , because Ireland has yet to show he can effectively manage a winning football team ..... or has he to you?

Ozzy and MrClean like this.
  38. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You're lucky I am a classy man... sort of.

39. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    that or hes planning on trading for a receiver NOW.

Bpk likes this.
  40. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

By the way, if we suck worse we get higher picks.

Also, 5 picks in the first three rounds is a strong hand for Jeff to argue Ross giving him one more year.

Just sayin. Pair of twos and pair of threes with Ace high. Jeff is bluffing Ross out and will win this hand because he's a great poker player when it comes to having a way to keep his job another year (Philbin or no Philbin).