1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged:Vontae Davis Traded to Colts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rdhstlr23, Aug 26, 2012.

1. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    And that's really all there is to it.

And Jeff Ireland gets credit for drafting a player the caliber of Nolan Carroll in the 5th, as well as signing Marshall.

ToddPhin and CWBIII like this.
  2. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

ArmandoSalguero Joe Philbin was hired to develop players and make them better. He didn't do that with Vontae Davis. Indy's Chuck Pagano thinks he can.

MrClean likes this.
  3. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Exactly!!!!

4. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I can't believe we I read all of this *****ing. We got what will be a high/mid 2nd round (plus conditional)for a player that was 3rd on our depth at CB with character issues. Seems like a win.

ToddPhin and steveincolorado like this.
  5. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Ireland did, however, force VD to try by picking him.

I'm sure people will say he was Parcells pick, not saying you, but this team did pick him and Ireland was/is the GM.

MrClean likes this.
  6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Exactly.

He wasn't hired to be a babysitter or a psychologist.

If a player has the mental and emotional makeup -- or as he would say, the professionalism -- to do what it takes to get better, Joe Philbin can help.

7. dolfan22

Who drafted him?

8. Ozzy

And the drafting of Vontae in the first place...

MrClean and Paul 13 like this.
  9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Vontae Davis was with a new coaching regime with whose philosophy he didn't fit.

10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no idea how you know for a fact that Ireland wouldn't make this move without consulting with the coaching staff first. The reason given for why Fischer didn't want to take the Dolphin job is because Ireland wanted to retain 100% control of player personnel decisions.

If Ireland was going to have to consult with the HC before he could sign, trade, or draft a player, Fischer would be the coach today and not Philbin.

MrClean likes this.
  11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You only trade a player like that when you have the depth to replace him, which we do not.

MrClean and Rick 1966 like this.
  12. Ozzy

Thank goodness! I thought you may have bumped your head....

13. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    What?

14. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    That's not what's being said about Nolan Carroll with regard to this move.

15. dolfan22

And instead of being three years in on a young 24 year old vet that should be a key productive cog of your team , you have NO player and you have yet another draft choice that isn't helping you now and may not in the future . Be cool if ireland would step up and say , we are making the playoffs by ____ and winning a playoff game by ___ and being in the final four by ___ and winning a Super Bowl by ____ .

MrClean and Ozzy like this.
  16. dolfan22

17. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If fans were given the choice between having either our #3 corner or a top WR for our new franchise QB, I would've imagined seeing much less resistance to this trade considering how many of you badly wanted a 2nd round receiver.

jboogie and Bpk like this.
  18. Ozzy

Ireland picked him. Every coaching regime uses the philosophy of coming into camp in shape and trying hard for the team. Other than that he fits into every system as a player...

MrClean likes this.
  19. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Trading Davis really isn't my problem with this move. My main problem with this trade is the fact that Ireland just might be the person making that second round selection next year. Now that scares me to death.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  20. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Except we now have neither.

21. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    if anyone is wondering where i went for the nexts 5 minutes, i will be on youtube searching and listening to the hootie and the blowfish song that states "sometimes the dolphins make me cry"

22. dolfan22

OmarKelly “@CaneAndrew2012: you clearly havent with your .500 prediction a few weeks ago” - jumped off that ship after Chad got cut, Garrard hurt knee 22 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    ArmandoSalguero profile

ArmandoSalguero No matter your opinion of Vontae trade, it is not arguable the Dolphins are WORSE today. Picked up hope for future but gave away talent now. 43 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@Ironwolf65: You have tried to tell them it's a good trade but the Ireland haters won't listen.”- what did I say was Vontae's value Thurs? about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    AdamHBeasley profile

AdamHBeasley There ya go. RT @Robi2184: @AdamHBeasley 1 move left McCray went on IR, reported by @RavensInsider 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@scottarizzo: How is rebuilding going to fly w/ the vets?” - IT IS NOT, but they also know the team looks horrible,so they don't get a vote 6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    AdamHBeasley profile

AdamHBeasley Guess there's only two players left to be cut by tomorrow now. 6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    ArmandoSalguero profile

ArmandoSalguero Jury still out! RT @Tito305Sports: Jonathan Martin! 6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@GPANTHER: Rebuilding? Then why are Long and Solai still on the team and not future draft picks?” - LOL. Give them some time. 7 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    ArmandoSalguero profile

ArmandoSalguero Everyone knows he's immature. So was his bro for a time. He's 24 RT @krosenthal26: hard knocks would suggest Vontae wasn't dedicated,

MrClean likes this.
  23. Ozzy

They better hope so because the depth, with Carroll playing well, is still pretty bad

MrClean likes this.
  24. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

25. dolfan22

I don't have to search for it , it is unfortunately imbedded deep within me .... and constantly playing ....

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    For those who support Philbin and think he was the right choice, I'm sure this was the choice of his staff together coming to a conclusion about the player..He signed off this deal..

ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Nobody in the secondary has been effective in the preseason. Davis may not have played up to the level we all hoped for when he was drafted in the first round, but he wasn't any worse this preseason than the rest of the players in the secondary. The Dolphins were just able to trade him for a second round selection and they took it. I doubt if they could get anything higher then a sixth or seventh round pick for any other player player in their secondary. In fact, I doubt if any other team would even be willing to trade for most of the other starters in the secondary.

28. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    If he doesnt flip the 2nd for a WR, hopefully the next GM will be using the pick.

jw3102 likes this.
  29. dolfan22

MrClean likes this.
  30. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Ireland has not drafted any All Pros in the 2nd round has he?

Those who ignore history.....

31. dolfan22

Yeah no doubt there DJ , Marshall and Vonte , concerns about both to be sure , but talented? hell yes , make your team better? they have , we'll see if they do this year or in the future , we haven't gotten better though , no debating that , will we? well the optimist says yes , the pessimist says no , the realist says not if the same pattern continues , will Philbin influence that pattern change?

Sure as hell hope so , we are now another 2 years ( at least ) away aren't we???

32. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    The trade in it of itself is not the whole problem. If we rationalize it and take it to a standpoint of pure value, Dolphins and Colts both got value.

People are just frustrated beyond belief. We, fans, just cannot seem to catch a break with this team.

With Ireland we are resigned to the fact that with each draft, we only get, at most, one or two decent player, not even stars. Now we trade the decent player of its draft, for more picks, which in turn, will be subject to the same shiitty record of drafting.

No, don't fault anyone for being annoyed, angry, frustrated.

33. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

Larryfinfan likes this.
  34. dolfan22

Richard Marshall, who took the starting CB from Vontae Davis in camp, had his worst outing of the preseason Friday. That is all. · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@Da_Bolivian: @sdub32 Hes a 3rd round pick. 2nd round that year was pat white” - dude.... I'm a professional. Check your info again. about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@KoBiE_A_: what will it take to get Dwayne Bowe from KC?” - patience till 2013. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@sdub32: Name one solid 2nd round pick by Ireland? just one” - Sean Smith 3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@ianjrosa: we're telling you we're worried what Ireland will do WITH that 2nd rounder” - who said he'll be here in 2013 to use it? 4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@CaneAndrew2012: you clearly havent with your .500 prediction a few weeks ago” - jumped off that ship after Chad got cut, Garrard hurt knee 6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    ArmandoSalguero profile

ArmandoSalguero No matter your opinion of Vontae trade, it is not arguable the Dolphins are WORSE today. Picked up hope for future but gave away talent now. 6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    OmarKelly profile

OmarKelly “@Ironwolf65: You have tried to tell them it's a good trade but the Ireland haters won't listen.”- what did I say was Vontae's value Thurs? 7 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    AdamHBeasley profile

AdamHBeasley There ya go. RT @Robi2184: @AdamHBeasley 1 move left McCray went on IR, reported by @RavensInsider

35. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

He's such a player on the improve that they felt it was worth it to trade him away...Let's not forget that the kid hasn't performed up to his draft status here consistently and was beat out by a journeyman CB...I disagree whole-heartedly that this is that bad of a move. A second and a later round pick for a guy that a) was inconsistent for us since we drafted him b) wasn't playing well enough to earn a starting spot in a bad secondary c) was counting $2.7M against the cap and d) whether or not Ireland is pulling the strings next offseason, with the number of picks, he's bound to hit on something...

No, if the coaching staff felt strongly enough to sign off on this deal, knowing we have a secondary that is not great anyway, getting two picks, one being high is worth it...

Now, if he packages this pick in a trade to get an established WR, I'd feel even better...but that's unlikely anyway.

On a side note, I have not been convinced that we are in a full rebuild mode, as some other folks here have felt until this trade...now, I firmly believe we are in full rebuild mode and looking to the draft to build where we need...

36. dolfan22

37. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I agree

I don't hear too many people banging Philbin for this move. He had to have say in it. Ireland just isn't trading players without the coaches approval.

I agree with this. I also look at this like we replaced VD with Marshall and a 2nd and 6th round pick. I'm good with that.

ToddPhin likes this.
  38. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.

MrClean likes this.
  39. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I guess we should have seen Vontae being traded.
    He is actually talented.

This regime is allergic to talent.

40. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well...we all know we need to get Tannehill some weapons....

Anyone see us making a trade for a WR...with this new pick?