1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Merged) Report: Vikings looking to trade Harvin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Are you wondering why a 7th rd draft pick didn't get as many snaps as potential 2nd round draft picks?

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a good point as well.

Fin D likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That is an impressive number of targets considering the offense also had Driver still in his prime and Jennings too.

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I never said anything was impossible. I was just saying that I'd be shocked if 2 of the top-3 WRs were rookies. It also seems like you would be surprised if 2 of the top-3 were rookies. The hit rate for the position is low enough that I have difficulty seeing it happen.

5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, I'm wondering why a talented WR couldn't beat out literally nobody? They were pulling guys off the street to be the 3rd WR.

6. MrClean

You'll have to ask Philbin to know the reason for that.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it's surprising whenever a team finds themselves in the situation in which something like that is even possible. But we're already in that situation. We're already surprised. Having two rookies end up #2 and #3 in the offense in targets next year would only be mildly surprising at this point. Not likely, but not shocking either.

8. MrClean

If we were to assume it was because he was slow to pick up the offense, that is totally irrelevant as to whether any WRs drafted this year would also be that slow to learn it. There has been plenty of examples given already by CK of rookie WRs in this same system seeing significant playing time, on units with significantly more veteran talent ahead of them.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm fairly certain there's virtually no significant difference between "pulling guys off the street" and 7th rd picks.

Regardless, maybe he needed extra time to learn. So what? If that's the way you're going about this, then Egnew was successful because Gronk was.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Right, we are only left to speculate as to what the exact reason. But based on what I saw regarding guys like Miller and Matthews, comments regarding Egnew, etc. I'm led to believe that they put a premium on having the mental side down before seeing the field.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yet other rookies started for us last year. That's the part that makes no sense about your stance.

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, because I've made it clear that I think the transition from college to NFL is as difficult for WRs as any position. Ryan Tannehill is really the only comparable situation, and he was pretty much a unique case because he's playing the same offense.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, but dude....

You've been given examples of rookie WRs starting in this specific offense AND you've been given examples of this coaching staff willing to start rookies if they pick up the offense. What else needs to happen?

MrClean likes this.
  14. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Why give up picks to sign Harvin when you can sign Mike Wallace and not give up a thing?

15. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Harvin adds more flexibility in the offense, that's really it.

People saying cheaper contract are either forgetting 1) Percy won't play without a new deal 2) Percy is likely to get $10,000,000 a year.

16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    As I said, I think its possible for a rookie to be one of the top-3. I have a very hard time believing 2 rookies will be in the top-3.

17. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Even in this offense, I'd have to agree. Mostly because we likely are bringing in a F/A WR as #1 (or shared #2 even?), we would be drafting a guy high (shared #2) and then Bess would be ahead of anyone else, as we would not likely be drafting someone who would step in and produce as well as he could.

We're likely to have 2 new WRs in our top 3, but I'd be stunned if we had two ROOKIES in the top 3.

18. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Being a UGA graduate/fan I have watched Washington a lot. Have seen Taylor as well. Keen observations on both. I look at both as high on potential. What do you think of Jamie Collins at Southern Miss (probably need to watch film prior to this year, but he played well on a 0-12 team)? Collins played linebacker in one of those 4-2-5 defenses. Was injured at the Senior Bowl practices (hamstring)and had to drop out.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jamie Collins doesn't speak to me. But sometimes I have that problem with linebackers. It's not that I'm bad at evaluating them. My own studies on my success suggest I'm certainly better than average there. But sometimes they speak to me and sometimes they just don't...and sometimes even the ones that don't, turn out to be awesome.

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If Jennings continues to get nicked we are stuck with Bess, Matthews, Binns and two rooks. When healthy its a good group but I I want better than good b I'm trying to slay the dragon this year.

If we can't beat NE we have no shot at the division. Even if we go 11-3 the rest of the way we'd need them to go 8-6 in their other games, which ain't happening.

It's a risk but I think it's worth a shot. If we can get him for a 2 it'd be like we traded Vontae for Percy. Not bad, no?

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think you're right. And I think it sucks. I hope we view a trade for Harvin on its merits and not based on what happened with Marshall.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This level of a head case NEVER works out. His talent isn't great enough to trump his issues. Minnesota isn't a flawless team, getting rid of dead weight. They are saying we don't give a rat's *** how good he is, we can't deal with him anymore.

Some guys cost money. Some guys cost picks and/or other guys and money. And some guys, cost all that and chemistry, headaches, aggravation, publicity black eyes, coaches their jobs, and development of other players. If they are in the last category, they damn well better be the best. Percy Harvin is not the best, he's just good, therefore, the total cost of money, draft picks and the laundry list of BS, is too damn high.

We aren't going to pass on him because of what happened with Marshall. We are going to pass on him and jettisoned Marsahll for the same reasons....the total cost is too high.

MrClean and CashInFist like this.
  23. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Report: Vikings looking to trade Harvin

I'd say there is a zero chance this happens. We spent last season purging all malcontents so I don't see them bringing a new one aboard regardless of his talent.

24. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    I might be one of Percy Harvin's biggest supporters but we simply cannot afford to have him in this locker room if we are actually purging complete malcontents like him. No way.

Bpk likes this.
  25. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What makes it tough with guys like Harvin & Marshall is how uber competitive they are on the field. Unfortunately they both seem impulsive and have difficulty controlling their emotions. If you're winning and keeping them happy & involved on the field they're both probably good for the team, but if/when times get tough is where I'm concerned.

I wonder if the kickoff rule had a negative mental affect on him, considering it took away, on average, 25 touches per year.
    Not to mention, his stats have declined all across the board since his rookie year:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 650"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]
    avg per attempt[/TD]
    yards/catch[/TD]
    TD catches[/TD]
    KO yards[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]receptions from passes thrown 21+ yards[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]% of receptions from passes thrown beyond the LOS[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]2009[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8.7[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]13.2[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1 per 15 attempts[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1156[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]72%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]2010[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]7.9[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]12.2[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1 per 22 attempts[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]933[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]72%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]2011[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]7.9[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.1[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1 per 21 attempts[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]520[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]2[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]70%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]2012[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]8.0[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.9[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]1 per 28 attempts[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]574[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]0[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]47%[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I hear ya. But let's not act like some guys don't eventually get their Ish together. Moss got shipped out of Minnesota too, sulked in Oakland and blew up for NE. McGahee and Marshawn Lynch pouted their way out of Buffalo and were productive elsewhere. Brandon Marshall and Vontae showed they could play well this year. Martellus Bennett, Vincent Jackson, Mike Vick, Ricky Williams, Santonio Holmes, Pacman Jones, Aqib Talib, etc. The success rate isn't all that high but if the price is right...

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But it generally takes an already successful program. Again, how much more does Harvin give us then someone else good?

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think he gives us more than Wallace, Bowe or Jennings, talent wise. He can attack defenses in more ways than just about anyone in the league and he is dangerous on ST too.

Deep routes, short, medium, screen, checkdown, reverse, wildcat, handoff, you name it he can do it and pose a serious threat with it. Matchup nightmare in the slot, uncoverable by LBs and most safeties.

Watch how teams over pursued vs our stretch runs last year and imagine Percy on the reverse coming the other way. Get a WR who can block and throw quick screens all day long. Fake the screen and throw deep. I'm drooling again.

Truthfully he's been a head case since he was in Gainesville but he terrorized people there, he did it in Minnesota and he will do it some more when he gets wherever he's going next. If we trade for him and he flakes out I'd still think it was a good idea. He's that good IMO.

29. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    If 1/2 of what is being reported about PH is true, then he is the last guy you want on the team. This doesn't seem to be a guy who is going to be even a team 3rd player based on past history.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then why does Minnesota want him gone?

I just think when you look at total cost (money, picks, stress) he's not worth more for cheaper total cost then some other players out there.

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  31. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Is it possible that he wants to be gone and is going about it in a childish and unprofessional way? Teams don't just let young talent walk, but talented players often act out when they want to play elsewhere.

32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Report: Vikings looking to trade Harvin

Amazing what talent makes people tolerate.. for awhile.

But if the Vikings are a joke for enduring it when he first started doing this stuff, what is a team who would choose to trade for him ALREADY knowing this stuff?

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He is a talented wide receiver on a team that is in need of talented wide receivers, and they want him gone.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR GMJ, that kinda proves my point.

Its like a seriously hot chick, but with herpes.

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is too much like a seriously hot chick coming up to you and asking how much would it cost her to have sex with you.

36. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    That's actually a pretty powerful analogy.

As long as we draft two WR (personal preference here is Bailey and Patton), I'm going to be happy (unless those WR's are Turner like reaches and we pass over legit players). Greg Jenning's may be 30. However, if our rookie WR's hit (and I'm hoping...) we may not need him past age 32. We can always develop our guys, draft more WR in the future (like Green bay does, every year it seems), and continue the cycle. Whatever cap we spend on Jenning's, will be returned shortly, in time for contract extensions for our rookies (who I assume were hits).

In that context, giving a pick and a contract for Percy, who has injury concerns of his own and behavioral problems (despite his talent) does kind of seem stupid.

Fin D likes this.
  37. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    there is cure for herpes though

38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Death?

Fin D likes this.
  39. MrClean

Herpes is not deadly, but there is no cure. There is a treatment that sends it into remission and the carrier isn't contagious as long as it remains in remission. But, a cure? Nope. Once you got it, you always got it. Fortunately it's not hard to keep it in remission.

40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Also needs to be considered that if you're trading for Harvin, you have to give him a big contract. Probably one that will make him among the highest paid non-QBs in the NFL. Thats a really bad situation for a team to be in.