1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Phins next signing be going Incognito? eyeing several tight ends

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Mar 14, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Dolphins' next signing be going Incognito?
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/14/1528566/will-dolphins-next-signing-be.html

2. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Miami Herald reveals Dolphins first round pick?

From the Miami Herald....

Source: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/14/1528566/will-dolphins-next-signing-be.html (check out the 6th and 7th paragraph)

Jermaine Gresham, who showed he's over the knee injury that sidelined him in 2009 and likely is to be taken between Miami's picks at Nos. 12 and 43. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has Gresham as the only first-round tight end (25th overall), but UF's Aaron Hernandez and Gronkowski could go soon after.”

“Sporting News analyst and former Browns scout Russ Lande said the players who most display the skills Miami is seeking (downfield receiving skills, good size, skill to develop into solid blockers) are Arizona's Rob Gronkowski, Southern California's Anthony McCoy, UM's Jimmy Graham and Penn State's Andrew Quarless.”

I will be floored if they take a tight end at number one with all the great LB, S and NT prospects in this draft and a major need for them on this team.

Disnardo likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    floored isnt the word bro...

cobrajet likes this.
  4. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    If we take a TE at 12, I will personally fly down to Miami and kick the crap out of Bill, Tony and Jeff. It would be worth the jail time. That would be a terrible pick.

GARDENHEAD, Miguel and cobrajet like this.
  5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I don't think they're necessarily giving away our first pick as I'm nearly 100% certain that the Miami Herald doesn't know what our first pick is going to be. In fact I'm nearly 100% certain that at this moment in time the front office themselves doesn't know who they're picking at 12. This is just more speculation and conjecture in a slow news off-season.

dolfan7171, Agua, PhinsRock and 5 others like this.
  6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm not following- as per the article Gresham is likely to go between #'s 12 and 43. That's a fairly common opinion. What does that have to do with the Miami Herald revealing who the Dolphins' 1st rd pick is going to be? What did they reveal? That Gresham will get drafted between the mid 1st and 2nd rds? Either I'm missing something here or this doesn't make sense.

PhinGeneral likes this.
  7. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    There is no doubt we take a TE in the draft. Just not at #12.
    I'd be pretty happy with Gronkowski, McCoy and to lesser extent Graham in the 3rd round.

8. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008
    Merely more idle speculation. With the exception of Dez Bryant being available or CJ Spiller if Ronnie is packaged in a trade, #12 will be a defensive pick as a concession to Nolan for agreeing to join the team.

You just don't hire a master carpenter without assuring him he'll be furnished with the sharpest tools possible to work with.

Xeticus likes this.
  9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    worst thread title ever :angry:

10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The Miami Herald couldn't reveal the which is the next minute on the clock, much less the Fins first (or second) draft pick....Are they speculating, much like the rest of us...sure...

As to the pick, I agree with you that they aren't likely to take Gresham or one of the other TEs with the #12....I wouldn't be shocked about the #43 pick though. Think of it this way, Gresham is considered a mid to low first round value selection. If he's there in the middle of the second, with TE being a 'need/want' upgrade, he would likely be the 'BPA' at that point and they'd likely take him....

Personally, I'd rather see us take another LB or NT at that point. We are dangerously thin at OLB at this point. We are dangerously thin at NT (Soliai's weight notwithstanding). We are lacking at WR (at least a #1 guy). We have, what is probably looked at as a journeyman TE in Fasano arguably coming off a down year. TE upgrade is more of a want than a need. I'd rank OLB, WR, NT, S and then TE as our priority list....Of course that may change some before the draft, but as it stands now...that's where I see our pecking order....it'd be hard to not draft in that order but funny things happen in the draft...people get left out from where we think they should be...after the #12 pick, it's all going to be BPA at a position of need...

11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I agree. It says nothing that hasn't already been speculated, and we know Miami is looking at drafting a TE somewhere in the draft. Furthermore, I'll bet it's still too early for the Front Office to be sure who they want at 12, much less the Miami Herald.

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think this is just saying he'll be available there. Nothing more. I do think we pick up a TE but I don't think the FO thinks there's one available at 12 that'll turn out to be Gates or Witten.. OLB in the first please kthxbai

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

As soon as I saw that Incognito had been released I figured we'd go after him. This article confirmed that. And seriously, if we go after Incognito, I'd think it's a lot more than his behavior that has us running from Brandon Marshall. Incognito regularly killed his team with penalties.

14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So they'll sign a guard like Incognito, but god forbid we sign one of those dreaded "diva receivas".

Miguel, PhinsRock and Pariah like this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    good good call...look at Incognito.....first off Incognito is the best name hahahaha....but is somewhat a paradox of this guy, he is by far incognito...however this guy is young, very talented and a headcase......minus the sexy position, name and the amount of off the field trouble his has been in.....this is Brandon Marshall....

oh and btw...the Jets are trying to put together a package together for BM...as everybody knows...

16. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean to imply that this was any gifted knowledge of the first round pick, and I apologize if it did. It is more of an insight as to what they are thinking. Note the question mark "?".

Could this be the number 1 pick?

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

BM must be a serial killer. If Miami is willing to sign crazy Incognito, which is a damn cool name, to upgrade one of the best O-Lines in football, why wouldn't they sign BM, the third best Wide Receiver in the NFL to upgrade one of the worst receiving corps in the league?

18. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    It does make you wonder.
    This team has no chance to contend with the current group of WR.

19. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Incognito might get around the league minimum plus incentives. It's not as if he'll cost $30 million guaranteed plus our 1st pick. Not a good comparison.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  20. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I understand the risk from a monetary standpoint.
    I also understand this team is so bad at the WR position, it'll be hard to get excited for the season. I just don't know if this team can win with the current WR corps.

21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I do. We can't.

22. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I understand the need at WR but we still have young guys on this roster that are likely to improve - maybe significantly. WR is one of those positions that takes years to develop. Further to that, we have the draft coming up and you know this team is likely to take a WR in the first three rounds. Another point about Marshall - when the CBA is signed, he will be a UFA next off season. Is he the difference between being a Super Bowl contender in 2010 or not? Not likely. If this is the case, save your 2010 1st round pick and wait one off season to obtain him. This also gives him one more year to either grow up or implode...on someone else's dime. Beyond Marshall, the 2011 Free Agent class should be absolutely loaded.

23. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I feel fairly confident that no WR currently on the roster has the potential to become a #1 WR. I guess Hartline would be the best bet.
    As far as Marshall goes, I understand and for the most part, agree with what you are saying. But I can't remember the last time the season started and I felt like we had a legitimate shot and winning.
    I just think Marshall or Boldin would make us a better contender in 2010.

24. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This regime is still in the talent accumulation phase and likely won't cough up top picks for other team's headaches. They are not building this team necessarily for what's best in 2010 - they are building for much beyond. As I stated in another thread, our key needs are on defense and it was this unit that ruined last season.

25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

1. Bess and Hartline are too slow. Turner....yeah. Ginn doesn't have the intangibles. No one on our team even shows that they have the potential to be a number 1.

2. :pity::pity::pity: Bill Parcells won a championship with Phil McConkey. With our needs on Defense we are NOT going to take a receiver in the first three rounds. We need OLB's, an FS, AND a NT. Are you serious?:pity::pity::pity:

26. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    1. What was Miles Austin before this season? You do not know what you truly have with a receiver until at least year three.

2. This team know it still lacks the big bodied receiver that creates mismatches. If he's there in the second, I see them maybe taking Demaryius Thomas out of Georgia Tech.

27. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd like that ALOT. Not sure he's there when we pick in the 2nd.

28. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I'd even move up to the late first if he's sliding down the board. He just isn't up there with Bryant because of GT's run first offense. Further to that, he is a high character type with a strong work ethic. Low bust potential.

29. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Truth be told, I'd rather Demaryius Thomas over Dez Bryant anyway.

30. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Attitude goes a long way to how you develop as a pro. This guy just seems to "get it." Only problem is some team picking in the 15 to 25 range will agree and take him off the board.

31. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    That's why my top choice for #12 is a trade down, pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd and draft Thomas somewhere late in the 1st.

32. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

It's called "Money" $$$ JMHO but capped or not, we spend wisely with this regime. I don't like it, but that seems to be their MO.

And I don't like Incognito one damn bit, but if we sign him, you can bet Sparano and Parcells are pretty sure they can get his attitude and dirty play under control. If they do, could be a good player for us. I would put a clause in his contract that costs him a fortune for every penalty he commits.

33. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    If their targets are off the board by 12...why not?

34. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's a fine comparison considering this FO uses attitude and off/on field issues as a constant excuse for not signing talented WRs. So you're saying it's ok to put up with BS as long as it comes cheap?

35. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's a major part of it yes no doubt. They're also slightly different cases.

Incognito is dangerous to have on your team but the second he signs he's literally the best guard we have. Smiley does not run block like this guy can. He's athletic, strong, 6-3, 324, with a monster mean streak.

If we sign him we have:

LT- Long, Gardener
    LG- Smiley, Tsoumpas
    C- Grove, Berger
    RG- Incognito, Thomas
    RT- Carey, Garner

Damn I'd hate to cut any of them for that tenth spot. It certainly produces a trade possibility, probably with one of the guards, not sure which one. I've never seen an offensive line with that kind of depth. The only position it's lacking depth is at LT behind Long with the still raw Gardener. Hopefully Long continues to stay durable, knock on wood.

36. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Would be a horrible signing IMO.

37. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Why? He instantly become our best interior lineman.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Grove is still better even with Incognito's head straight.

39. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah, maybe. Incognito is better than any guard we have right now tho.

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No question. His run-blocking would change the issue along the interior offensive line.

They're ****ing obsessed with the offensive line, it's a good thing.

adamprez2003 likes this.