1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Pennington wants to stay in Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
  2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Pennington wants to stay

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/1461816.html

That would be the best of all worlds .We would have an experienced saavy QB backing up Henne and an additional coach on the sidelines to help Henne and the OC with the calls.

However I dont see us carrying 4 QBs unless the move White to another position.

How do you feel about that scenario ? Who would be the odd man out ?

3. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Honestly, I think keeping Penny around might be a little counter productive. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the guy. But, I just think that A) he's not a long term option, B) his arm strength will in all likelihood be no better than it was pre-injury (and probably worse), C) I don't want Henne looking over his shoulder, and D) that's a valuable roster spot that can go to another player (i.e., we can't keep 4 QB's).

Having said all that, if he indeed wants to stay, and the FO wants him around, then I would look to see Pat White moved to KR/WR. He, IMO, is the odd man out.

JMHO...

4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Unlike JP Pennington wants to be a team player it would be a benefit to have him as a backup he would be a big help with Henne. Pat White needs a new role.
    Henne
    Pennington
    Thigpen
    If Thigpen had some of Penningtons ability to not turn the ball over we would have some competition at QB.

dolphindebby likes this.
  5. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    This si great news. We would have a great backup in case we needed one, and he could continue to help Henne. Win Win situation. I hope he stays. And they find something else for Pat White to do. 1) Henne
    2) Penny
    3) PigPen.

I like how that looks!

6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Would be one of the best moves of the offseason if we locked him up as the backup to Henne imo. Porter should take notes. Accepting a backup role and then doing whatever it takes to further the starter in their development is what being a leader and team player is all about.

xphinfanx likes this.
  7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Merge ??

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I too agree with GMan, it is going to create a problem, and I'm not so sure he is the hands on backup behind Thigpen....Thiggy can run, and his arm is 10X better than Penny...Penny brings wisdom, and veteran leadership that about it....Plus what is he going to want for money??

Lastly that would make White have to move somewhere like people said here to KR/PR/WR.....kinda of an overpaid KR/PR/WR no?? Not to mention I take Cam, Hart, Ginn, Bess as the four receivers over White anyways....

The G Man likes this.
  9. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I say we gotta keep him. Our QB's could benefit A LOT from his wisdom and experience IMO. And who cares about money, should be an uncapped year anyway.

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ugh.......this isn't baseball, they aren't the New York Yankees, or Dallas....they do care about the money regardless of an uncapped year......they have to care about the money...you suggest we pay him what he wants to be a back-up possibly, when there are other more pressing needs??

Why do they "gotta" bring him back??

I'd pay him what he wanted if he was the QB coach, but he said he doesn't want to do that just yet...

11. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Uhm... what?

We have a chance at the DREAM of some team's at the QB position this year. A young talented QB that is going up in the world starting. And a SOLID Veteran QB to back him up if anything happens.

How are people saying this is a bad idea!? My head just literally exploded from confusion. There should be no other issues here other than possibly money.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  12. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I can see how some would say that this would create a problem, a Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien type of situation in essence. But I see ZERO percent chance that Pennington is anything other than a plus to have on our roster in the future.

There's no way Penny would do anything to undermine Henne's leadership position in the locker room, he's the classiest guy in the game. That's not to say he won't go out there and play hard and try to win the starting job, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only problem I see as has been mentioned is what happens to White/Thigpen. If I were in charge, I move White to a primary position at WR and use him as a utility man on offense. Turner is then the odd man out unless he shows serious improvement in camp.

13. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009

If Henne went down I would rather have Thigpen come in than Pennington. Thigpen is a quality backup and we have no idea how Pennington's arm strength is after yet another shoulder surgery.

finyank13 likes this.
  14. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Best thing that could happen for us is Pennington returning for another year. Even though I would make it a real open area, I would put Henne in is the starter if he is even close to Pennington. Then we have Thigpen and Pennington fight it out for #2.

Pat White will then have to man up in a real QB competition. He can try to make it as the 3rd QB but when/if he is beaten out he will hopefully see he needs to make it as a WR etc. If he does not see it then I hope our coaching staff has the balls to tell him to switch or be cut.

He can still come in and play "whatever" even as listed as a WR/PR although I think that Thigpen can do a better job as a Wildcat/Spread QB.

dolphindebby likes this.
  15. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    would love it

A Penny would NOT be a distraction, he making this choice with full knowledge.

B Henne not going to look over shoulder, Penny is a friend and mentor and will continue to be.

C Penny can also mentor/tutor Thigpen so that we will have 3 viable qbs. once a weakness now a strength

LandShark13, dolphindebby and EdSta74 like this.
  16. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ask yourself this, you want Penny in there for the long term?? If Henne goes down...Listen I admire the guy as much as anybody here, he is class, a professional but the guy cannot throw the ball anymore, it is as simple as that, he couldn't throw the ball before he got hurt for the second time on that shoulder just this year. I would absolutely want Thigpen over Penny in there for any extended period of time....now with that, does he want what kind of moeny?? Veteran min, I'd do it, but if he looking for some decent scratch, or if people on here think just because the is no cap, that Miami is going to spend like a bunch of drunken sailors, I'd say your in for a rude awakening...

17. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Keep Penny and Thigpen and just accept that the Pat White saga didn't work out and cut your losses and ditch the kid. Too small to be under center anyway! Who didn't see him getting hurt out there???

finyank13 likes this.
  18. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I posted some time ago that I expected Penny would want to come back. I could not be happier that he does, and I have to believe he will be a Phin this year.

He is a perfect fit. He can help Henne, White, and the WR's in so many ways. His experience, leadership, and work ethic are priceless to this young team.

Debate, if ya like, on White and Thigpen but, NOT on bringing Penny back.

dolphindebby and EdSta74 like this.
  19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    the Dolphins would have to be out of their skulls to keep pat white at qb over thigpen
    unless of course they are still trying to justify the draft pick they burned to get him. jesus

im not sure on pennington at this point
    i would love to have a veteran backup qb but we know nothing about whether he will be able to make the throws the dolphins are asking to make by a certain date
    not a knock on penny but he had a tough time making those throws before the third surgery
    we shall see

20. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Hell, if you're asking me, Pat White should be packing his bags and typing up his non-football resume'.

21. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    thing is penny aint there to start n tnrow 500 passes. he is a very capable backup.. if you gameplan for your starters getting hurt then your gaming to lose.

22. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Keep Penny and Thigpen. Trade one when someone is desperate. Move White to another slot or cut him. I saw nothing from him this year. I am willing to give White the benefit of doubt as he was a rookie. And I loved his heart. Something you can't measure (read this JP).

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I can almost guarantee you that a big reason Penny is letting this come out now is to be a role model for this locker room. To show that Joey Porter is handling himself in the wrong way and that THIS is how you act as a professional who may not get to start.

It's a very mature, team-first counter-move to Joey's destructive influence. It will help calm the players a bit, 9in my opinion.

Even off the field, Chad Pennington is a born leader. I love this man.

24. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You might be looking at the Dolphins future coach so all in all I'd be very pleased with it. If Henne can't handle the fact that there is another QB behind him I really don't think that's a sign that we should be proud of. Pennington is a major locker room influence towards the positive.

It might be good for Henne in a way in that he'll have to make sure the team views him as the leader. If he were to be alone and on-top no one he may just accept it.

2k5 likes this.
  25. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Bad idea......this will never be Henne's team with Penny in the locker room. And Penny's value as a QB just isn't enough to justify the problems or confusion his presence will likely bring.

Thigpen is a very adequate back up. Time to move on..

26. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Penny did mentor Henne. At the end of the season, Henne got film of every throw he made to study. Think Penny had a bit to do with that?

Bpk likes this.
  27. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm hesitant of assuming that. Henne had an entire season to establish himself and has. Pennington chose to say low key through the time that he was hurt. I'd assume that Henne will continue to do so in the mean time. The defensive sidelines leadership did not come from Pennington previous to this year.

Again I realize that possibility exists, but if Sparano believes Henne can handle it it's a good decision.

28. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Yeah, Henne has nothing more to learn, and Thigpen can teach him exactly that. :)

29. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Pennington was "low key" because injured players aren't allowed to be involved.....

And as soon as Penny signs a new contract, there WILL be a QB controversy.....at least within the fans, media and even players. Personally I don't think Penny is worth all that. This is a crucial year for Henne and I want him coming into camp without Pennington over his shoulder.

30. Lions_Footsoldier32

Lions_Footsoldier32 New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I like this guy's reasoning.

31. finsfan1

finsfan1 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    that's awesome

32. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I don't think there would be a major controversy if Pennington returns. He would say all the right things. Probably would say he wants to be a backup - like Ricky Williams. Ricky has been asked if he and Ronnie would be competing for the starter role in 2010 and quickly said no.

There have been veteran backups before. Maybe he would like that role at this point, who knows. Maybe he's just saying this to keep things calm with the Porter stuff going on. You know the Cardinals want him. I'd like us to keep him incase Henne ever got hurt.

LikeUntoGod likes this.
  33. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    you make it sound like Pat white demanded he play QB. Parcells/Ireland/Sparano drafted him to be a QB. They kept him at QB through training camp and through the entire season despite any struggles that came up.

They didn't put him through all that just to move him to another spot a year later. Pat White is going to remain a QB for this team until they decide to cut him out right.

As for Thigpen, can't stand him. I realize the steelers game was meaningless in the end but how anyone can want this guy back under center for us is beyond me. The dude reminds me of a horrible mixture of feeley, fiedler and ray lucas.

34. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    love it

35. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would love for Pennington to come back. It gives us a much better option at backup quarterback than White or Thigpen and Chad Pennington is a person that I want on this team. The longer he is on the team, even if it's just one more year as a back-up before retirement, the more likely he is to coach here, and that's what I want.

Pennington isn't the type of person who is going to take away anything from Henne's leadership. He will be like Henne's assistant leader in the shadows because he doesn't have an overbearing personality.

Ideally we would keep all four QB's but that might not be realistic so I would hope that the odd man out is Thigpen. I'm not ready to write off White yet and I think we could get a more fair value for Thigpen in a trade.

36. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

just come back as QB coach penni! that way we can have a qb battle between Henne and Thigpen (obviously Henne's got the job) but a little competion never helps

37. phinagan

phinagan New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Maybe, but a roster spot is a valuable thing as mentioned by others. Penny is a great team player and is smart beyond his years IMO, so maybe they offer him an assistant coaching position? I don't want to see him get hurt again, and I don't want to do anything that would slow Henne's development so who knows?

38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Woot, make it happ'n, Cap'n.

39. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    There really won't be a QB controversy. Everyone, including Pennington, knows who the starting QB for this team is. We should be happy that Pennington WANTS to comeback as a backup.

dolphindebby likes this.
  40. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I think that's awfully naive....there are just too many ppl that for some reason feel we owe him something. Personally, I just don't see where he has that much to offer and just want to move on.

I guarantee the minute he signs (if he does) the problems will begin.

To me, that reads....he will be content at back up "if" he has to........."if" he can't get the starting job back.

No thanks...