1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged:Pennington Released/ Dolphins inquire

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/08/07/source_dolphins_inquire_about.html

The Tuna is gonna hooks us a JET.

PMZQ, TheAnswer385 and padre31 like this.
  2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Pennington's a very smart quarterback. I question how effective Ginn could be as a legit deep threat through

calphin likes this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why am I not surprised? If Quincy Carter was talked about this should have been a lock...

Kanye West, PMZQ, calphin and 2 others like this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    wow. i've been trumpeting that i don't see us bringing in pennington because who would be the odd man out? Certainly not Henne, i doubt McCown since this regime just brought him here, and just paid him a fat contract & signing bonus. Didn't think it would be Beck since we just drafted him last year (still under contract), and hasn't really had a chance.

i don't see us carrying four active QBs on the roster either. THEN there's the question of if we're going to be the highest bidder (remember Chad would be free to sign with anyone). i don't see us being the highest bidder.... unless Chad prefers to play for parcells and takes a lower salary to play here.

too many things against this happening IMO. but if they do sign him and cut one of the other 3 QBs, i'd be grossly mistaken. i'll eat my words if that happens, but i just don't see it.

HysterikiLL, baboo72 and padre31 like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I have no problems bringing in Pennington. Especially since he'll be motivated to beat down the Jets in week 1.

GISH likes this.
  6. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Chad could have more success in Chicago or Minnesota than here. He'll get beat up pretty good in Miami

WharfRat likes this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Doesnt seem like there is a whole lot of hard facts though does there? Does this guy have a source or is he speculating?

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

That is a legitimate concern, that’s what crossed my mind right away.

I hate how Parcells goes with the vet qbs. He told Hyded (as per Boomer) that he is on a 3 year plan. What good will starting Pennington over Beck and/or Henne have on that 3 year plan. Let them develope for crying out loud.

My guess is, and I hope I'm worng, that they feel Beck isn't their guy, and they will play Pennington until Henne develops into a starter. I'm really pulling of Beck, and just hope that he gets his opportunity to show his stuff. :no:

9. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I look for McCown to be the odd guy out. I wouldnt put much solice in the fact the current regime brought in McCown because they figured to bring in a vet and draft a QB anyway with the understanding the vet would be either gone, or on the bench by year 2.

I forget what we gave McCown but i doubt it was so much that the F.O. wouldnt release him and just eat the costs in order to get a more productive Pennington. I think it would cost more to release Beck than McCown anyways... I think

Colorado Dolfan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  10. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    We just drafted Jake Long, Signed Justin SMiley and DOnald Thomas has been a huge surprise at RG. Carey & Satele are manning the C & RT spots. Are u Seriously.

For those saying how is he gonna get the ball to Ginn the same way he got it to Coles. Remember the BOMBS he usually throws to COles to beat us.

MrClean likes this.
  11. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    the only problem with him is his arm Strength

12. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    good point. why would Chad even want to come here if he knows he can get s more long term role in Chicago or Minny.

What I'm waiting for, is for the Jets to trade Favre to the Vikikngs.

13. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    There are ways to keep four quarterbacks on the team, certainly if one were to get hurt, put him on the IR for a year. Now, a Chad Henne could have a little "shoulder problem" and we stash him away on the IR for a year. It's not what I would want to see happen, but it is a plausible scenario.

14. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    dolphins signed McCown for two years for $6M.... including $2.5M in guarantees

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=2090

i don't think they'd release a guy they just paid that to who never played a snap for a team. that would just be a boneheaded move and is not reflective of how parcells has ever acted before. :up:

not just roster spots, but $$. you'd be paying 4 QBs active-QB money. these guys aren't earning "vet min", keep in mind. :beer:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  15. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Not going to happen. It hasn't been widely reported, but there's a poison pill in the trade that costs the Jets something like three additional firsts if they trade Favre to a NFC North team.

given to fly and sgtphin like this.
  16. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I don't think the Dolphins saw any way Favre was going to the Jets when they made that move. :wink2:

17. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    bringing in pennington isn't gonna help the fact that our recievers as of late couldn't catch a ball if they shoved their hands down their pants..the qb's we have may look a bit better if we can get the wr to hang on to the ones they should catch.

18. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    In Minnesota & Chicago He goes to a place to walk staright into the situation he just left. Have to compete & share time with unproven players at the QB position, who the organization wants to start. In Miami he come to a place where he is reunited with Pacells and Dan Henning. Chad knows and has played in our offense. HE can compete aginst the Jets twice a year and become an immediate starter.

Put it to you this way. Whenever a QB is released they usually come to MIAMI. Joey Harrington, Daunte Culppepper, Trent Green. Get the picture. Plus Parcells wants a Veteran to start, he does not believe in throwing your rookie to the WOLVES like Cam did.

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Pennington has a career QB rating of 89...65% completion percentage....only real question is whether he can stay healthy.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Having the ball hit the WRs in stride will make it a little easier.

21. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami

If they drop passes Saturday, you cant make this comment, but they are dropping them in Camp. IF there is a place where it is allowed to drop some footballs it is camp.

Also if our starting recievers practiced with a starting QB they wouldn't be dropping so many balls. They have been seeing balls all camp from three different QB.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just an inquiry as of now. We'll see if it gets any bigger than an inquiry. I wouldn't mind Chad here, I'm just worried that we won't be able to use Ginn effectively this year. The media is all over Beck, calling him "Mr. Checkdown". You wonder what the hell are they gonna say when they see this guy step on the field in a Dolphins uniform. There's a reason his completion percentage is at 65%.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  23. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I didnt know it was that much... Maybe Beck is the odd guy out then.

S**t, he may not even come here, may not even want to come here... The again, we did inquire about him for a reason and with a plan in place

24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Which is why I question the source on this one. Who inquired? And what was discussed?

25. boourns

boourns Member

Apr 22, 2008
    If we sign Pennington and waive McCown, what kind of cap hit are we looking at? This kinda stuff has always flown way over my head.

26. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I think the cap hit is for every cent of his garuanteed money

27. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    They are not gonna waive McCown if anything the guy getting the boot would be Beck and even if they sign Pennington they dont have to immediately get rid of no one. Giving them time too Have a battle for the backup spot or trying to trade McCOwn or Beck. I love Football.

28. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Cam held Beck out as long as he possibly could. I don't think that's a fair statement to make.

29. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Doesnt Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, represent like half of our roster and FO?

30. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    this doesn't make me feel too good. This was the leader of the team I've HATED since I've been watching football, a guy who has always had our number, and a guy I bashed on a consistent basis. It's gonna take a big effort on my part to accept him here as our starting QB if that's the case.

dolpns13 likes this.
  31. boourns

boourns Member

Apr 22, 2008
    so 2.5M. But is that pro-rated over the term of the contract, or is it bulk and all at once.

I know it is diferrent, but in the NHL they divvy it up over two times the time remaining on the contract. Just seeing how the do it in the NFL.

Thanks for the answer by the way!!

32. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Lemme tell you something. As soon as he throws his first TD, you'll feel a lot better. It took me all of one home run to get used to Jim Edmonds in a Cub uniform.

padre31 likes this.
  33. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I too think McCown is the odd man out. Just when Pennington is about to become avalable Tony is talking about only two QBs playing in Saturdays game. Why is that?:shifty:

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That still looks weird to me. I never thought Jim would leave the Cards.

35. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey

I think they could pay the 2.5 mil however they want as long as it is paid in full by the end of the contract. In full, or over the term of the contract, but they do have to pay him all the garuanteed money that is stated in his contract.

36. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Its too bad one of the three qb's we have didn't emerge in TC, then this wouldn't even be an issue. If we do bring in Pennington my expecations will be low, but then again its not like he would be taking a spot of someone who looks to be much better at this point in time.

End of the day there is still a big ? at our QB position going into the start of this season, and the one positive in all this is Henne has played good enough to show optimism to fix that question mark in the near future. If pennington, mccown or beck are the short term answers and Henne is the eventual successor to be a legitamate answer, i'm fine with Pennington comming in, should that happen.

Its not the answer i'm looking for or excited about, but when there are not a lot of good options available, one more option is a good thing.

Paul 13 likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think McCown is out as well. The guy hasn't been that impressive in camp and has only regressed, opposed to Beck, who has gotten better as days go by. I still don't see Henne starting his rookie year unless there's an injury. My money is on McCown being out if Pennington was brought in.

38. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Oh come one you are still defending Cam. The guy threw Beck out there after his boy Cleo sucked it up. Only to bring Cleo back. It is disturbing that some people still defend Cam on tis board. If Wannstache came back would cut him some slack too, I probably would cause unlike CAm or Saban the guy took us to the playoffs.

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

We'll see Texas, I don't believe Tuna is afraid of looking bad if he cut McCown.

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The problem is, he held Beck out of practice as well until a week or two before he threw him in there. Cam kept Beck on the scout team, so this genius had Lemon taking the primary snaps and no backup qb taking any offensive snaps.

And I also disagree with your statement, he didn't hold Beck out as long as possible. lemon wasn't hurt.

Colorado Dolfan, alen1 and Big E like this.