1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged; Pennington has rebirth with Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Chad Pennington has rebirth with Miami Dolphins | MiamiHerald.com

Pennington comes to pass, or receive
    Pennington comes to pass, or receive

gafinfan and Dolphin1184 like this.
  2. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Dolphin1184 likes this.
  3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Ron, he had ya beat by 4 minutes.. so it's a merge... :)

Georgia Fin likes this.
  4. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    FTA: Against the Patriots, he averaged 11.3 yards on his 17 completions. Against the Chargers, he averaged 7.9 yards on 22 completions.

Those are per attempt averages, not per completion. 7.9 yards per completion wouldn't exactly be evidence of a strong arm.

5. finzman13

finzman13 New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Pennington is a top notch guy in my eyes

Themole likes this.
  6. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Pennington seems like a guy who would be fun to watch a football game with if you weren't watching him play. He is passionate, yet controlled. A little quirky, yet very knowledgeable. Seems like the guy next door, just working hard and it seems to be paying off. I would love for him to catch a pass, especially a TD during the season. He is really another major contributor to the leadership and winning way of this team lately.

Themole and finzman13 like this.
  7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Well, what plays were being called? It is out of his control in regards to the opportunities that are given to him to throw deep.

I personally think that we are purposely NOT throwing deep, to set those plays up in the future....hopefully the near future. Think about it, we know Chad can hit deep WRs, ala Coles, but honestly, how may attempts of 30+ yards has he even had? I can't remember one.

I feel the Dolphins are tempting people to stack the box, keep Ginn and other routes short, and then BOOM, one game we hit the home runs when the matchups are to our advantage.

Themole likes this.
  8. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I saw "Merged: Pennington has ..." on the home forum page, and I panicked. Whew!

:up:

cnc66, The Aqua Crush and Dolphin1184 like this.
  9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    What is most desirable, a quarterback who throws long passes or a QB who is a good game manager and doesn't make mistakes? IJMO but I would much rather have a QB who is a leader and is helping the offense make strides than one who has a cannon for an arm and can't do neither. We have had QBs who could make the long throws but couldn't do much of anything else except make mistakes.

10. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Of all the anguish our QBs have put us through since Marino, is it honestly too much to ask for a QB with both?

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the best thing about this season is that it's not about the QBs... CP has played as well as any QB we've had since Marino retired...We can't ask much more than that....

Themole likes this.
  12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I saw Pennington doing an interview on PTI last week, and he seems to be a confident guy without being cocky or arrongant. When he was with the Jets he never seemed to try to do too much and kept his team in most games this way. He doesn't force too many passes or turn the ball over, and he doesn't have to be able to throw a 50 yard bomb to be effective. I think he is the best QB we have had since Dan....I think Fiedler had a few good years here, but he always seemed to force those sideline passes an slant passes that got picked and run back. You don't need a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to win SB's.....look at Eli Manning. I am glad we picked up Chad and finally having an exciting offense.

Themole likes this.
  13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You always do per attempts though. No free pass for incompletions.

14. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    You're absolutely right. And of course that's good for Pennington, because he's been almost 80% over the past two games.

For the record, though, he averaged 13.3 yards per completion against the Pats and 10.4 against the Chargers, not 11.3 and 7.9 per completion as the Herald said.

Over the last two games Pennington has averaged 9.3 per attempt, which is ridiculously good. (I think Marino was 9.0 pa in 1984, the year he set the yardage record.)

FWIW, supposedly Pennington hit five straight passes for 15+ yards each against NE, though I haven't verified that.

15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Lazy. :no::tongue2:

gafinfan likes this.