1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Merged] Nate Garner and Phil Merling placed on IR

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Killerphins, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nate Garner and Phil Merling placed on IR

One more roster slot opens up.

3. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Thoughts???

No Bueno

Pandarilla likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Bummer. Hoped these guys could have contributed this year. Shame theyre hurt before the season starts.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ouch.

6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Time to start scouting for waiver wire pickups. Sucks to hear about Garner. He was a backup at 3 positions and can play C in a pinch.

Merling, that was to be expected. Wonder if we've seen his last days in a Dolphins uniform?

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Nooo...nooo...Mr. Garner no put on IR.

CaribPhin likes this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Since when was losing a backup lineman a major blow? Thomas can fill in at either Guard spot, Berger is a proven backup Center, Procter can play either spot as well. Tackle is a concern, but you cant have depth everywhere...

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Um dude...Gardner mightve been a backup but he was more of "6th man" of our OL. He is actually better than our starting three interiors IMO.

11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This goes beyond bummer and ouch. When we are going ravenously rabidly furious in week 11, throwing crap at the TV yelling about how we're losing.... look back to reasons like this...

our O-line has a weak interior.

On that glorious day, as we get our asses kicked, I'll point back to this thread and say, that's where the offenses woes took a sharp turn towards terrible.

If I;m wrong it's because Richie Incognito makes it through a season without behavior issues (never happened in history), John Jerry is a day one high-level starter at RG (making history), and Jake Grove does not go down with and injury (we'd have to rewrite history to make that true).

DolfanJake likes this.
  12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    It actually might be good timing with all the teams trimming down to 53 i bet Sparano and Company grab a good replacement.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not so BPK, Rotten Richie didn't start blowing up until the Rams started being a craptacular team, when the Greatest Show on Turf was still in effect Incognito was a fine player who played both C and G and was one of the few Olinemen ever to block in an offense that had 2 1k receivers and a 1k rusher.

What losing Garner means is we lost our most versatile backup, which means we probably carry more Olinemen than we would otherwise.

If sparano knows his business Murtha should be as flexible as Garner as he is a much better athlete.

14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah since when is losing an OL who started eight football games for you last season a problem. :wink2:
    We have no depth at all.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What?

We have fine interior depth, Tackles are another matter, especially with Andrew Gardner stinking up the place this preseason, but G/C types we have plenty.

BTW..anyone else having an issue loading webpages?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I did for about half an hour, but it's fine now.

padre31 likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    All of my buttons are missing their skins, hmm.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yea, I'm having that problem too. I can't even see anyone's avatar now.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would guess they are working on the site :shifty:
    We are about to get busy...
    I have bigger issues with the OL

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I feel naked....:D

As for the Oline people really need to recall J Jerry played RT at MS, so there is a workable plan B, the real problem is the Oline is going to eat roster spots as insurance policies.

Proctor, Thomas, Gardner may all make the team when really they are more or less bubble players but now we cannot afford to dump them.

BTw, Killah, I was sort of on this last night on Sick's show, Crowder, Garner, Will Allen, all headaches for Sparano.

21. Bpk

Padre, Garner would have been a starter at LG were he healthy, imo, and still available to slide to be a backup at RT/LT if someone went down.

If Jerry had to move to RT, who would play RG?? Donald "3rd string" Thomas?

Dude, we aren't thin at O-line, we are already SHORT a quality starter at LG!

Killerphins likes this.
  22. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    As of right now thats the best solution they have if a tackle goes down or move one of the Centers to Guard but that would leave us thin at Center (Not good with Grove).

Bpk likes this.
  23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The Rams had one good season with Richie as a starter, 2006. He played only 4 games in '07, they sucked in '08 when he started 15 games and again in '09 when he started 9 for them.

24. Bpk

If my hopes for this season hang on Richie Incognito I'll just save myself the grief, put on a blindfold and have my last cigarette now.

gafinfan likes this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thomas, Berger, both have starts at G, it wouldn't be the end of the season.

Thomas had more wins at the POA than Jake Long, so he isn't a scrub, not a great pass blocker, but not a scrubini.

Bpk likes this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    does not bode well for our unsettled offensive line

Bpk likes this.
  27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ok.... that's another 5 seconds removed from my life. I'm gonna have to nickname you "Captain Obvious". :flag:
    In other news, Phillip Merling is out for the season..... so I doubt he'll be playing this year.

Just teasin. :knucks:

28. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    we will be fine .... as long as Carey's back holds out .... i'm disappointed - because i really wanted Gardner to push Carey this year ... but that doesn't seem to be happening. on the positive side, Murtha seems to be adjusting well and making a push to take Garners spot ...

29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Finally someone with some logic. Hell yes Garner would have been the starter at LG!
    His versatility makes him so valuable in so many ways. Losing Garner is disastrous for this OL because of the obvious reasons you stated. I'm not sure how anyone can see Thomas or Murtha as quality depth.
    You better believe Coach is smarting over the loss of NG. Some fans are just naive about the situation and don't understand how thin we are now.
    I'm real disappointed

Bpk likes this.
  30. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010

On Garner, I can see who went to training camp and and who did not. As I said, Garner was with the ones, 1 MORNING, the same as almost every other person on this team was. More often then not, people think because a player has a decent second half of a season, it means the player is " solid " Not disputing Garner is a great 6th man, but , it ends right there. In the last 8 games Garner started we were 4 and 4 or in other words, we played .500 ball.

This years offensive Oline is much better then that, much better. They just need time to be together and play as a unit, they will not be the problem. Ricky getting older and Ronnie being Ronnie , may just be the problem ? There were holes for them to run thru against Atlanta, the RB was either slow getting there on other occacions, it was apparent, the RB chose the wrong hole. I saw on three occasions there was a huge hole and Ricky ran towards it , then went the other way. Watch the game guys.

Ronnie and Ricky are no longer the all world combo some think they are. Watch tomorrow night, Dallas backups or not, Dallas is going to stack the box wth 2 to three more guys then we have blocking. Like I said, backups or not, we will not be able to move everyone. Neither Ricky nor Ronnie has the blast speed to go outside anymore, at least , not in my opinion. Add to that, until Henne and our receivers demonstrate they are a legitimate threat ? Opposing teams will stack the box. Its football fundamentals, stop the run first and I am sorry to say, with Ricky and Ronnie back there, thats not too hard to do. At this point in time, neither Henne, nor any of our receivers, Marshal included, are deemed, " threats " Mostly because they have dropped more balls then they have caught. The first game was hideous. Tampa was catching everything and our guys caught nada. Until the passing game gets going and factoring in the ability of both Ricky and Ronnie now, the run game is going nowhere unless we start catching the dam ball.

31. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    LMFAO.... Like we played .500 football because Garner was a starter. That is total nonsense. You think it is because I think he is solid huh? Sparano has stated that he couldn't keep Nate off the field last season and when he got out there he played smart and tough. He even sent Donald (fatboy) Thomas to the bench when he came back healthy. We had plans for him this season and the starting LG position was going to be his. As far as Garner's position in camp they already knew he could play guard so they didn't really use him there.
    You saying the OL is much better this season is an unproven statement at best because no one knows how they will gel. We are very thin at the moment and have guys who have never played together. I would take a wait and see approach. You don't want your mouth to overload your ***. :wink2:

32. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Oh pardon me I missed this part the first time. I hadn't realized this was a "we don't throw the football enough" rant.
    :rolleyes:

33. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Yeah, the Oline is much better this year. Go to training camp instead of reading some reports by scribes who only have interest in what kind of little sandwiches they are selling. Sparano says a lot of things Pal, a lot. Like I said, if you think Garner was so great, how come we were only playing 500 ball ? Dam, I would have thought they would run over Garner every play and score 5 touchdowns there alone. Sparano is a story weaver, if you do not understand that by now then when you are 21 and grow up, you will. He could not keep Garner off the field because we had so many injuries and like I said, Garner is a great 6th guy, or was a great 6th guy. Also like I said, they tried every single guard on this team out with the first team at left guard, Garner included, for one morning.

I can see we have some internet bravado immatures here , eh ? Gotta love it, keyboard muscle always rules the day :swimmer: Go ahead, you can have the last word now as I know you would stick an ice pick in your eye if you did not retort.

Killerphins likes this.
  34. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Oh, we throw it, nobody actually catches it.

Killerphins likes this.
  35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Fair enough we can agree to disagree. Apparently you don't like the offense except for the OL. They are better in your eyes without Garner because you saw this in camp. Maybe when I turn 21 I'll get it. :lol:
    I'm sure I didn't get the last word because we will be talking about this issue more this season I'm sure. :wink2:

36. Bpk

I disagree with 87.4% of what you said here.

But I do agree that Garner's name is spelled Garner. Some people mix it up with Gardner.

37. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Sucks big time, but at least it happened when we still have time to scour the waiver wires or trade for a decent replacement.

As far as Merling goes . . .meh

38. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Ricky pulls off a 40 yard run despite bad OL play. :up: