1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Mike Pouncey Out 3 Months with Hip Surgery

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 23, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah I understand, doesn't mean he's a bad person, just an immature one, shouldn't of had his whole football life taken away..

77FinFan likes this.
  2. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Totes.

:shifty:

Fin D likes this.
  3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Ritchie had already burned bridges and destroyed his reputation with the Rams and Bills when Sparano and Ireland brought him here. From what we know now he was given several opportunities here as well based on reports of his off field antics. He really should have been released before last season based on the charity worker harassment. The bullygate scandal was just the final straw. As far as I am concerned, his football life wasn't "taken" from him - he destroyed it all on his own.

Maybe the psychiatric treatment he is in will help him get a gig in another season or so somewhere else, but not here. No thanks.

MrClean, ckparrothead and Clark Kent like this.
  4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's fine, I'm just not sure the punishment fit the crime this time.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    First off, has the NFL even punished him yet? The Dolphins suspended him, and they let his contract expire. He's a free agent and he's been a free agent because no team wants him. That's not punishment. That's no team wanting him because he's an undesirable football player.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The problem is it isn't just this time w him. This is just one of many and nobody wants to see what his next act would be.

7. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    It has little to do w/ his play and more to do w/ him being taboo.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Is taboo another word for we really don't think your positives as a football player outweigh your compensation and negatives? If so yes, he's taboo. So is Andre Gurode, who is making phone calls begging to get back into the NFL.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Aside from the team suspension the Dolphins had him served, Richie Incognito has yet to be "punished".

He's unemployed because teams don't want him. That's not punishment. Is Tim Tebow also being punished?

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Your probably right, I just don't think NFL teams want him because of the fiasco that went down here, I'm not sure what happened here with Martin sensitivity leading the charge deserved such a fiasco..

77FinFan likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Tebow is being punished for being a crappy quarterback

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

This is the main reason I wouldn't want him back. The guy has personality issues that I doubt are going away. Funny how a year ago, Darlington did that human interest piece on him, where RI did his best to convince us that he was a new person. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

cuchulainn likes this.
  13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think were gonna have to bring in a vet if he's gonna miss any time, can't afford to have Larsen or Brenner go up against New England..

Folks who have hopes for Larsen I think are making a mistake..

14. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Maybe it's just me, but I worry more about week 2 against the Bills. The Bills absolutely destroyed our OLine last season in both games with Pouncey, to where we mostly held our own against NE.

Garner has starting experience at Center where he filled in for Pouncey last season. So far the FO, hasn't made any indication that they think Pouncey is going to miss any significant time by signing a vet. That would indicate that they think Pouncey will be back sooner than has been reported, that they are comfortable with the guys we have now... or they are being naive.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Seeing that no one knows the severity of the injury, it's possible that he will be back in time, here's the thing though, if he does miss any time, I don't want to have one of our young'ins learning the position of all of camp just to play a couple games, get a vet in here to hold the fort..the mental part of the job right now is more important than the physical.

16. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I hear you, but they were all rookies or inexperienced at one point in time. Maybe the only positive is that this happened now so we have time to prepare for the season by developing a guy or making a later signing after cuts maybe.

It may also be an actual plus that our bye week is week 5. We could be 2-2 heading into the bye and come back healthier afterwards.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And if Richie Incognito were really the "pro bowler" that he's been labeled, he'd be with a team right now.

18. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Richie is not great, but I don't think there are 64 other guards out there that are better than him. There probably are at least 32 other QB's that are better than Tebow.

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You could have said at least 64 QBs and I'd still agree.

I don't want Incognito back but he could start for someone.

20. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I don't either.

21. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
  22. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I've been saying this since the injury was mentioned. There is no way he's coming back in such a short period. Tearing the labrum in your hip is a serious injury.
    Miami should move on with the idea Pouncey will not be back this year, or not play at nearly the level he typically does.

Clark Kent, mroz and Ronnie Bass like this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I know injuries are part of the game and everyone will have to deal with them, but man does this really suck.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This is the kind of injury the timetable for which tends to get longer and longer, IMO.

If he's expected to miss that much time he will start the year on PUP. That means he misses the first 6 games for sure, and then the Dolphins have a 5 week window to get him practicing. Once he begins practicing there's a 3 week window for him to be active in a game. If they miss any of those deadlines he remains on PUP for the remainder of the season.

What this means is he would not be eligible to play until Week 8 in Jacksonville. He would need to be practicing at some point prior to the Week 12 game in Denver. If he does practice then he will need to be playing in a game by the Week 15 game in New England.

So the earliest he could play is Week 8 in Jacksonville and the latest he could play is Week 15 in New England, or he could just miss the whole year.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Pissass..i had hoped he would be back early because of his fervor in life.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Also of note, this isn't a player that kept his body in great condition before the injury.

Hmmm, whatta we gonna do..no one is going to part with their starting center at this point, Hickey needs to scout every backup center in the league and see if any of them are better players than our options, and if he finds one, make a deal.

27. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I think Miami has already moved, or continues to look, for Center options. I think Gardner, Brenner, & Smith will get the first cracks at it. If we get average play at C, I say we move forward without Pouncey. Between his off the field mess, and the ability to find a reliable, cheaper option there would be better value there.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't believe Nate has ever played center has he?

29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I happen to like Brenner. Not sure if he's ready to step in as the day 1 starter right now though.

30. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pretty sure he has a few times.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here is some good context for what the Dolphins could be losing in Pouncey (Fast-Forward to 2:35):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...94577/Week-14-Dolphins-vs-Steelers-highlights

That's a 55 yard run by Daniel Thomas who had to do nothing particularly special on the play in order to break into the secondary. The play was made by Mike Pouncey on the pull. Bill Lazor loves run plays like this and Pouncey was going to be an asset on them.

Now, there are of course many BAD plays from Pouncey throughout the year as well, so it's not a fair representation. But that 55 yard run probably was the margin of that Steelers win.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I can't remember.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Nate Garner played Center for us in two full games just this last season, against San Diego and Carolina.

He also played Center in a previous season, I forget which. During the game the line had a rash of injuries and Garner had already been required to come into the game as a guard and then we got another injury and Garner had to move over to Center which he'd never played before. It actually went OK and I think the Dolphins won. That's probably how he got the backup Center job in future years.

34. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Given the nature of the injury, this isn't shocking. Boy does it suck though. Five new offensive lineman, most young and inexperienced, one with injury issues, and one who can't pass block.

Let's play under/over. 45 sacks for Ryan Tannehill. I'm going over.

35. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Ouch! Literally and figuratively.

36. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Are you still under the impression that this was something that was contract motivated?

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    His decision to get the surgery instead of trying to tough it out like the Dolphins wanted? Yeah that probably has something to do with contract.

He's out 4 months because he got the surgery. There have been indications the injury can be managed without surgery.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok that's cool...well, we have two developing situations right before camp, if Shelley Smith gets his chance then we have two situations, one at right guard and one at center, maybe just keep smith at his natural spot, and let garner do his thing, he got injured in preseason last year pretty bad, so if he healthy maybe it's our best option..he's a vet, he knows Tannehill, he obviously has acumen for the game playing multiple positions.

gunn34 likes this.
  39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    From what I read about Shelly Smith, I would rather have him at center. I like having a good run blocking center and generally NTs are poor at pass rush, so his weakness against the pass rush can be hidden more.

gunn34 likes this.
  40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Without being a doctor or staying at the Holiday Inn last night, if the surgery was better for him, I'm with him on getting it. If it's a long term decision, he's still young. If there is any risk to managing it without surgery, he's gotta get it.

Apropos of your thread about the Dolphins looking around for center options eh? When there's smoke there's fire.