1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged:Is Chad Henne's job in trouble?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Is Chad Henne's job in trouble?
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/19546/is-chad-hennes-job-in-trouble

How I See It: AFC East Stock Watch
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/19587/how-i-see-it-afc-east-stock-watch-29

2. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    At this point, he's inconsistent. He shows flashes of a very good QB. However, maturity and time is something that will get him over those problems.

resnor likes this.
  3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Henne will have a decent career but I would prefer that he became our backup. I think Henne has the same problem that Cutler (of the Bears) has. He stares down his wide receiver and takes too long to deliver it resulting in a lot of pickoffs and bat down passes.

I would still play Henne to see what he has, but if he contues struggling then maybe you see what Thigpen can do. I would hate having to draft another QB but I think we may have to next year. Henne is better then Feeley, Beck, White,,,who else am I missing??? BUT I still am not convinced he is our future QB.

Miguel and gunn34 like this.
  4. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Sounds like another QB I know whose name rhymes with Manchez.

Miguel likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    he's shown enough that he has to get three years of starting time. if he still has the inconsistencies and flaws next year we can start discussing benching him but for now his progress has been great. still inconsistent but that should improve

6. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Damn you know it's bad when Jets fans are trying to make us feel okay about our team :lol:

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Which is ironic because he isnt a man at all....

SICK, CaribPhin and jetssuck like this.
  8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    He makes a good post and you just start smack talk?

9. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The first two picks Henne threw completely changed the game. I really think if he doesn't throw them, we score 7 or 14 points and probably have a 20-6 halftime lead. Maybe the 2nd half disaster would never have occured because of this??? The third pick wasn't Henne's fault as Marshall stopped his route. I just would like to see him making smarter throws....he threw some nice passes to Bess, but he also short hopped a pass to a wide open receiver, and then threw some way too hard and off the mark. Hopefully he will come out with a little chip on his shoulder against the Packers and play better.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is Henne's job in jeopardy. In a word: No!

HULKFish, JimToss, ToddsPhins and 3 others like this.
  11. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Both times he threw the first two I thought that passing was a bad call. Both times 1st and 10 near redzone, second time at the 30 with under 3 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. The first one, the majority of the previous calls leading up to that 1st down were passes. Henne is obviously still maturing. You would think that Henning understands this and would take some pressure off him, and not expect him to complete 10 straight passes without making a mistake.

12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    According to Sparano today, No!

Boik14 likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That doesn't make sense to me.

They ran back the opening kick at halftime. Then the score would have 20-14. I doubt, we would have a different gameplan at 20-14 then we would have at 7-13. We march the ball down the field, drive stalls we punt. We would have punted there regardless if the score was 20-14. Blocked and returned for a go ahead TD.

This was special teams fault all the way.

HULKFish and hugoguzman like this.
  14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    no doubt he played poorly with those picks. it wont be the last game like that either. the key is that those types of games become fewer and fewer as he grows and gets smarter. he's getting better, you can see it in how he's throwing. we just need patience. cant have the miami media start bashing him and creating controversy

djphinfan, hugoguzman and MikeHoncho like this.
  15. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Jets on Jets crime?

FinSane and SICK like this.
  16. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Donald Qranchez!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Mark sanchez has been outplaying Henne since week 15 of last year, including 3 playoff games. He is ahead of Henne right now

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Unless we have the option of starting Sanchez, I'm not sure how he is relevant to this discussion.

19. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here is what I mean. Lets say Henne doesn't throw those two picks. We probably would have scored 10 to 14 more points? We would have had a nice cushion at halftime, instead of being up by one.

I taped the game and watched the game a couple more times. If you watched the first half, WE stopped ourselves. That's why I got so mad when we were moving the ball, and then on a critical third down we went to the Wildcat and stopped ourselves at the Pat's 35. No field goal and we punt the ball. We would have come out in the 2nd half fired up, instead the Pats run back the opening kick and Miami's curls into the fetal position and waives the white flag. :angry:

20. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    too easy. fact is they got 6 total points out of those ints. lets say we get 2 more tds that adds 14 making 28. then say as a result the pick 6 doesnt happen, they still have 34, if u go further n assume pats only got 2 fgs due to ints, then that makes it tied @ 28.

problem is it is based on huge assumptions. no guarentees or likelihood we get 2 tds n pats get 0 points w/o the 2 ints.

young qbs make mistakes, to expect not is nnaive imo. sanchez faced one d playing tough, sorry our d is good but still gelling n maturing, db made bunch mistakes. Snatchez is good n playing well but hhasnt been fully tested yet. blt game they were ready to sh*t can him

21. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    next year ? you mean 2012, there is no next year (at least not right now).

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I understand what you're saying, I just don't think its accurate.

Those two picks being TDs instead only changes the score and not the final result. After the Pats ran back the kickoff, we still marched down the field for a TD. It was the Special Teams that broke our back and took the wind out of our sails. Even with the picks, our defense held the Pats to just 2 FGs in the half the picks happened in, then only allowed one TD in the second.

hugoguzman likes this.
  23. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    "Is Chad Henne's job in trouble?"

If Chad Henne was on special teams, then yes.

24. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I'm concerned, but I am fairly confident we will have a next year. Maybe not an 16 game next year, but the players can't miss out on an entire year of their livelihood, and they've got a lot of bargaining chips to play around with last I read.

They are no where close to a deal, but there are places that both sides can work with that can make a deal possible.

25. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I still don't see how people blame Brandon Marshall for the third OT. It was pretty obvious to me that Marshall's intention was to fake the linebacker by coming across the slant left, then cut right to get separation with all green in front of him, and that's exactly what he did. Henne forced it in there too early just like he forced the first INT. Had he waited (and he had all the time in the world) and hit Marshall in stride.... there's no telling what happens after the catch. New England's DB's were all down the field.

26. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its Ginn's fault.

Delfin Alejandro and GMJohnson like this.
  27. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Because Marshall didn't run where he was supposed to run

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Nah, that was all on Marshall. You can't do that to your QB and stop running your route.

29. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Would have been picked off anyway. The defender read the play and was in perfect position.

That, IMO, is why Marshall made the adjustment.

30. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    He is on the field. Ever see him run and dive with the ball? He certainly doesn't shy away from contact.

sent from my EVO 4G

31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    thats not making an adjustment. thats "running the wrong route"

when the route is "run a drag accross the field" and you run a drag to mid field, thats the wrong route.

Marshall has said as much, he admitted he made a mistake. If marshall keeps running it wouldnt have been a int because a 6'4 230 pound reciever trying to catch the ball would be in chungs way......

i love how THE GUY WHO RAN THE ROUTE admitted he made a mistake, yet some people ignore it and continue with their own fantasy

32. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    You lost me. That's not smack - it's fact. Sorry you see it that way.

sent from my EVO 4G

33. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    I thought that was pointed the other way not at you. Maybe I'm wrong?

34. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The OP thought BB was a Phins fan talking smack to Darrelle...I think

35. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    How is the blame shifted to a QB, any QB, not just a Miami Dolphins QB, when the special teams coached was fired and 21 points came as a result of special teams?

36. Steven-O

Steven-O F*** the JETS!!

Jun 30, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    this makes me angry that people are so quick to throw henne on the bench??? he's not doing half that bad this season. he has 4 ints this year with 3 of them coming against the pats last week. he just had a bad game with ints against the pats. he still had 306 yrds passing and a TD. he cant help we give up a kickoff return and a blocked punt. direct result was one int return and he was trying to do too much, i dont know why but he was. he was forcing the football in places he normally throws away. he is top 10 completion percentage and has some decent passing yards.

is everyone made cause the bills gave the pats trouble and we got smashed? so now they want to point fingers at sparano and Henne???? i think henne will learn from this i HOPE sparano gets us back on track. Pennington cant even throw a deep ball to marshall Henne has those capabilities, i know the deep ball isnt our main thing but all around he is a good QB. i think its better keeping Pennington as QB.

If we change our QB position right now i think its going to be disaster the rest of the season. if he starts throwing INTs like crazy like jay cutler or something horrible like that, then we start talking about movements....

37. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    And if those points didn't come via ST, Henne still threw 3 INT. The game was 20-14 at that point. With Henne being counted on to lead the team back. With the way he played, do you think he could of done it? I don't.

I hope he rebounds and plays well against GB. We'll see what the future holds.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    What? Henne had already thrown the 2 bad picks, and STILL lead the team on a TD drive to make it 20-14. What makes you think he couldn't do it, when he already had done it before the ST completely imploded?

Colorado Dolfan and hugoguzman like this.
  39. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What are you talking about?

After throwing 2 picks in the 1st half, and the score 20-7 (one TD of which was a KR for TD, the other off like an 8 yd drive after a punt block), Henne led us down on a TD drive to get us within a TD (20-14). Then the defense came out and allowed a 12 play 70 yd TD drive (27-14).

The next drive Henne takes us on his own 11 play 79 yd drive which would have been for pts (a FG), had the STs not botched the blocking completely. We might have ended up with a TD had Polite not missed a block which led to a sack on 2nd and 10 from NE's 29.

The 3rd pick wasn't even Henne's fault.

Henne has played great this year whenever we are tied or up to being down 2 scores. I have little doubt he could take us back (for a score) if we really needed it.

40. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I'm talking about if the ST disasters never happened (since the subject was the game wa lost by the ST and not a combination of the two).

He was playing pretty bad at that point. And he still threw another INT. I know there's debate over who was at fault, but I think Henne has to realize throwing a drag to Marshall when a defender is over the top is dumb. Marshall read that, why didn't Henne? The guy went downhill fast in that game. I don't think he could of lead us to victory without the ST errors.

I'm not that high on Henne. I think he has a ceiling and it's pretty much above average. I hope I'm wrong, but looking at his performance all year, not much has changed from last year. He's still making the same exact mistakes. ATEoTD, I understand this year will be the Chad Henne experiment and he'll have the entire year to sink or swim. I hope he swims, but I don't exactly have confidence in him.