1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Herald Article : A risk worth taking

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PMZQ, Jul 25, 2008.

1. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Article about the 4 Mormon players the Dolphins have, and the risk they took in taking Missions for their church.

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/617296.html

I'll tell you this, whether or not John Beck is or isn't a great NFL Football player, he is someone I would want as a best friend. The guy just has class. Same with Shawn Murphy. These guys "get it" when it comes to real priorities in life. :up:

PhinsRock, njfinfan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    while i don't agree with their position on religion and a lot of aspects, i think the Mormon people i have worked with were some of the most honest, hardest working people i've ever met. Definitely have had good experiences with them, and i respect their ethics. :up:

DrAstroZoom and PMZQ like this.
  3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I totally disagree with a lot of their faith, but all the Mormons I have ever known, quite a few, we're rock solid people I would trust with my life, wife, daughter, etc.

You have to respect their commitment and love for the Lord. Then overlook the "Jesus-USA-Tour" thing.

DrAstroZoom, PMZQ and Stringer Bell like this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    have you heard about that mormon hip hop group?

The Joseph Smifs

5. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
  6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
  7. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Let's see, that would make 7 on the team that we know of. Beck, Denny Poppinga, Murphy, Mauia, Bess & Satele. Although Satele & Mauia, didn't serve on a mission.

I think that's the most I've heard of on one team, although the 49ers had quite a few when Steve young was there.

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    At least we know we have some strong character guys on this team. Personally i couldnt care less about the religions of players on our team though. But you just know that these guys probably arent going to be busted wasted at a club, or busted with coke in their cars. thats definately a good thing

alen1, Themole and PMZQ like this.
  9. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    having been a member of the Mormon Church at one time (1989 to 1993) and I worked with a lot of the missionaries that were assigned to our Ward & Stake, I can say without a doubt many of them were the most honest & nicest people I have ever met. Many of them, especially if they have grown up in the Church, will give you the shirt off their backs.

alen1 and brandon27 like this.
  10. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    I agree,( the first 27 years of my life was in another faith) being a Ward Mission Leader offers a different prospective on the guys. When I served in that capacity,we had a young missionary whose brother was an O lineman for the Dolphins, (last name of Clark, back in the 80s). He / they came from a very affluent Utah family. He did not use his families influence to make his life easier. He would bring his socks over to my mother in laws, to have her mend them with needle and thread just like his less fortunate (monetarily) companion. Me, being an avid Phins Fan would often try to engage this young man into Phins talk during correlation meetings. He would have no part of it while on the job.

These guys are extremely focused and dedicated to being in service to their fellow man. Kinda like "Kwai Chang Caine" of the TV Kung Fu series of the 70s.

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not trying to be negative here but you would trust someone in today's day with your wife? I sure wouldn't lol.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear that they are great, hard working people.

12. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    All you need to be able to do Alen, is TRUST your wife.

PMZQ and alen1 like this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Oh I would trust her but there are maniacs out there nowadays that would do 'harmful' things to women.

14. Themole

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    I know, but we were talking about trustworthy people, not maniacs. Maniacs do crazy things. That's why they call them maniacs.

PMZQ and alen1 like this.