1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Ferguson thinks playoffs are possible

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bkbuffet, May 16, 2008.

1. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    www.miamiherald.com/616/story/536117.html

It's always good when the vets, especially new to the team, have such a positive attitude.

I suppose if you consider 6 of our losses were by 3 points with the horrid coaching of last year, there is a glimmer of hope if the new regime can get this team working as one.

**Title Edited**

brandon27 likes this.
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I'll hold you to that sir!

steveincolorado and gafinfan like this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    When you are on the bottom,the only way is up.

The coaching staff will look like heroes at the end of the season if we break even and I think there is a fair chance we will end up better than that.

I am sure Parcells considered the fact that this team was not as bad as their record showed and that a quick turnaround was posible especially since we had a fair quantity of high draft picks to work with

4. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    they must have interviewed him right after he took some tokes off a crack pipe

5. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    all kidding aside, its good to hear that from him. hes shown some class after being shipped to a 1-15 team from a superbowl contender

6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He never said they could win a title this year. He said he'll play until he gets a ring. And he hopes it's sooner rather than later ("in like a year").

He said their goals are the same as everybody else's: to win a championship. That they'll be much improved this year, especially against the run. And....at his age....he's pushing for the playoffs now.

Guy comes off like a true vet. Confident. Experienced. He's ready to play.

7. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    That type of attitude is infectious.

Hopefully, every single one of our guys thinks this way ALL SEASON long.

One thing that I do guarantee is that this season, our guys will be ready to rock the house each and every game.

....NO we haven't been that ready and juiced up to play since the early 90's.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Glad to hear the confidence in our teams abilities. I think we have a lot of potential to be a solid team. I think a six win season is realistic for us and should be considered a success. Playoffs are possible but I don't see it. I think we will win eight games TOPS. I hope that this is contagious and affects all the other players on this team, starters or not. JMHO.

9. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    I enjoy hearing the optimism coming from the players but seriously. This guy needs to quit spending time with Ricky. he's going to get himself in trouble.

10. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    What the hell do you expect him to say, "Well the expectations are really low here and I'm close to retirement and I won't have to pay the taxes here I did in Dallas so it's a great fit."

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

He is talking the company line, it might as well have come right out of Parcells' mouth.

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im with alen, i love the confidence some of these guys have. I just hope they can back it up.

alen1 likes this.
  13. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    What else would he say? I'm not gonna say "good job" to Ferguson for saying something he should say. We hear this every year from our veterans, it means very little IMO.

14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I disagree. If he thinks Ronnie is a monster, why did we draft two RBs, why did we keep Ricky Williams, and why did Ricky say we're going to use a committee RB approach this year?

I think Parcells wants nothing to do with anything from past regimes, and so is going full-bore scorched earth policy. You don't gut a team you believe to be better than its record indicates.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Every team goes into the season with high hopes to get a championship. Even last years' Fins were confident that the new regime could make a difference. That's not a knock on what Ferguson said nor is it a proclamation that he's going to be our defensive hero this year, but it bodes well for the development of our younger players.

Turning the team around this coming year is not out of the realm of possibility, but playoffs seem to be a little far fetched, considering we haven't seen them even practice yet...Lets see how things shake out as we go forward before we anoint them SB contenders or even think about them in the playoffs...

dgb11112 and njfinfan like this.
  16. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Last place not in Fins' plan next season

link
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/536546.html

CrunchTime and SCall13 like this.
  17. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Great story. I like Ferguson's attitude and outlook and they type of approach to the season should rub off on the other guys. I agree with him, we will be much improved over last season.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Theres ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong wit his optimism. How's he going to get himself in trouble? He can say any positive thing he wishes about this team, it will only bring inspirations and confidence to the players.

If you mean that he could say something "crazy" like "I guarantee you......" than I still see nothing wrong with that. When a player says that line, people (media) overreact and make it out more than it is. I look at it as a confidence booster to the team. If we lose, so be it, they will be know that they came to that game giving it their best and with confidence.

19. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    This statement is a great foretelling of the Miami Dolphins future.

We are underestimated in the normal NFL fans mind and there will be a shock in the vast sea of casual fans by week 6 in the 2008 season.

CrunchTime likes this.
  20. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I think this team could very well make the play-offs. Our schedule isn't very hard, and we've gotten a lot better this off-season. I'm looking forward to some competitive Dolphins football this year.

21. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007