1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged; Can we Contend in 2009-2010?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jun 3, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I am usually the cautious one in posting, quick to point out the pit-falls & realities faced in playing in the NFL

however, I am really excited about the 2009 season::dolphin::dolphin:

all bets are off, screw the schedule.
    if things fall right we will better last years performance
    I was calling for us to contend in 2010 from the beginning of the NewRegime in Miami
    would not surprise me to see it happen in 2009 :hump:

anyway you look @ it, we have a great upcoming season to look forward to & enjoy this year

Pennington, Taylor, Porter & Wake, Ricky & Ronnie, the Orca-5 (just read where Ireland expects Thomas to return before training camp) White & the WildCat, a very much up-graded & physical defensive backfield, an improved WR corp stepping up @ the right time & much more throughout the roster gives the Dolphins an already serious possibility to contend this season :up:

Homerism, a little early for predictions?

How do you see things shaping up?

Big Red, PhinsRock and HULKFish like this.
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Can we Contend in 2009?

my bad
    double post

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see why not. Last year's record was deserved. People want to label it a fluke b/c of the previous season, but IMO the 1-15 year was the fluke.

I think our talent level puts us in the top half of the league. After that it becomes about coaching, preparation and luck. I feel pretty confident about our coaching and preparation. That alone should make us playoff contenders. So I think "luck" (injuries, calls and the bounce of the ball) will determine if we make the playoffs and how far we go.

HULKFish likes this.
  4. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Theres still a lot of doubters out there who think last year was a fluke no doubt. I think Parcells and Company are putting together a very solid team who can compete with anybody and is improved from last year.

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i don't see much difference from last year -- meaning, the end result ... not individual or team performances.

the only difference is that we should have the ability to win in JAN !

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm with you. I don't see the point in scheduling out when we're "supposed" to win. I don't see any reason why we can't win now. If 2008 didn't prove that, I don't know what will.

7. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL

Good call! Luck is an unfortunate component to a successful season... I remember being sickened for the first couple Pats championship seasons because the ball just always bounced there way, literally!

The Dolphins have to start fast and play consistent throughout the season and we'll be right back on top!

rafael likes this.
  8. codizzle

codizzle New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    u guys definitly have a chance to contend this year...

i'd say it all depends on ur wide receiver progression and if chad can repeat what he did last year...
    u guys made some nice offseason moves on defense, so ur d should be ready to go

anlgp, Mile High Fin and padre31 like this.
  9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's easy for the "experts" to say we were a fluke last year. First year coach, easy schedule, The Wildcat, etc. I think we can be a solid team this year and make the Playoffs.

I must have said this 1000 times last year, but this team goes as Chad Pennington goes. We'll go as far as he can lead us.

Ive also heard people say we'll be a better team, but finish with a 7-9 type record. I don't think that's how it works in the NFL. More times than not, Playoff caliber teams make it in. With the exception of the Patriots last season, this usually holds true.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the team is solid

11. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We might not win the AFC East but if we make the playoffs I like our chances. Looking at our schedule if we beat the Colts or the Chargers and go 4-1 or better to start the season then we could make some noise this year.

Talent-wise I like to break it down by position.

QB - Pennington proved his worth last season. Henne is the future and seems eager to start right now. Pat White will add some razzle dazzle to the Wildcat. In fact I believe the Wildcat could be a major factor in a couple games which could mean the difference between 8-8 and 10-6. We're looking real good at the most important position on the team.

WR - Ginn is entering his third year. Camarillo should be back. Bess will only get better. Patrick Turner is a very promising rookie. Hartline or Armstrong could surprise. I like this group a lot. Maybe we don't have a star like Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, or Larry Fitzgerald but as a group we're better than most believe.

TE - Fasano scored 7 touchdowns last year. He tied Visanthe Shiancoe for 3rd most among tight ends. He scored more points than Dallas Clark, Chris Cooley, and Jason Witten. To me that is really being overlooked.

RB - Ronnie and Ricky should tear it up behind our new and improved o-line. We have the capability to be this year's Panthers, Giants, or Titans.

FB - We just extended Lou Polite so obviously the front office has faith in the short yardage master.

OL - We still lack depth at OG but this unit should make the leap from very good to excellent this season.

NT - The big question mark. As long as Ferguson stays healthy we're fine. If he gets injured we could be in trouble.

DE - Langford and Merling should be even better this season. Dotson is a diamond in the rough. Tony McDaniel could surprise. Starks should be a lot more comfortable in this defense now. As long as he doesn't run over any more policemen he could be due for a big year. We have so much confidence in these guys we were able to release our big signing from a couple years ago - Vonnie Holliday.

ILB - Crowder and Ayodele are good. Not great. The player I'm looking at is Torbor. This guy was a starting LB for the Giants in the Super Bowl. He came from a 4-3 defense so there's a chance the lightbulb might go on his second year in the 3-4.

OLB - Joey Porter, JT, and a coaching staff who might know how to best use them together. Very exciting. Cameron Wake could be the next James Harrison.

CB - Could be the best tandem in the league.

S - Could be the best tandem in the league.

Our secondary probably went from the weakest part of our defense to one the strongest parts of our defense in just one offseason.

Coaching-wise Sparano should be even better this year. He brought in his guy Dave DeGuglielmo to be the OL line coach. Henning and Pasqualoni are still here so we have continuity. John Bonamego should have some serious talent to work with. I see no reason for anything other than optimism.

Fin D likes this.
  12. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I just listened to the Eric Green presser and he made some comments that got me thinking. He said they were 5-11, the vets were just cashing their paychecks and then they got a new coach. His first year the culture changes and they went 8-8. (he observed that we did even better) Of course we know where they went last year he said it raised his bar and he said that we have the same "hunger" culture here. Made me feel good. I can see.. "feel" that desire to win and dominate building here. It's a good time to be a Miami Dolphin fan I think.. much to look forward too.

His story of barfing his first four days weightlifting here is pretty good too.

Big Red, Fin D and MonstBlitz like this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I couldn't agree more! :up::hi5:

cnc66 likes this.
  14. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i think we can contend and i agree the 1-15 season .. well it wasn't a fluke... but we lost some close games. much like the lions did last year. they could have won a few of those too.

anyway, if we get knocked out or don't make it deep and the teams we play against play capable to their abilities it will only show the FO where they need to draft to make us that much stronger.

soo i'm looking forward to this year of football.

cnc66 likes this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    " Yes we can"

cnc66 likes this.
  16. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well said. :up: I couldn't agree more.

cnc66 likes this.
  17. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I agree, this coaching staff and team can go as far as they want. We just need some breaks and no injuries, and I see no reason why we shouldn't be right back into the playoffs, and we definitely have the size, power, speed, and more talent to go farther into the playoffs than we had last year.

After what we as a collective group have suffered through the last 6-7 years, we deserve this! :up:

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    like the analysis
    weakness potentially @ NT
    other than that we're fat
    kudos BigRed! :up:

Big Red likes this.
  19. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks dude. I share your excitement about the 2009 season. :knucks:

20. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

There is no reason to think we can't contend. We've upgraded in areas we've needed upgrading. The majority of our players are entering the second year in our system. We have a solid QB, an above average running game, and our secondary - on paper - is better. The schedule seems tough, but from year to year you never really know. My thinking is that our improved secondary will compliment our pass rush and vice-versa. We have lots of pass rushing depth. My concern is STILL the o-line. Can they be dominant? We have to be able to run between the tackles consistently and win the TOP. I like the wildcat, but we can't rely on it to bail us out. Although we are ahead of everyone in the league as far as the formation goes, we're not going to be sneaking up on anyone this season with that formation. We need solid and consistent production from the line and the RBs out of our base formations to solidify ourselves as contenders. We need to be balanced offensively, need to be more efficient on 3rd downs offensively and defensively. If we can improve in these areas, there is no reason to believe we can't contend.

21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not one for patience. We're going to win the Super Bowl in our house this season!

22. mikethewreck

mikethewreck just a fan...

May 10, 2009
    Vero Beach, FL
    I can dig it.

23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We could, or we could finish 6-10, the keys are:

1. Keeping Pennington upright and healthy
    2. The defense improves.
    3. This crop of rookies play as well as last season's group did.
    4. We continue to avoid the injury bug.

We are a sort of run first team with the team we have to beat playing a wide open brand of offense, the defense must play better against them.

24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I would add a #5
    which has not much to do with the first 4
    the Ball has to take a Miami Bounce more than not
    luck has to favor the team

I believe it will go our way in 2009:yes: