1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McNabb deserves better than this

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Silverphin, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kriegel-philadelphia-eagles-donovan-mcnabb-032910

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yes, he defenitely deserves better. I don't care if he is making millions, this guy has been tormented by that fan base for so long, it's unbelievable. And I experience that first hand. My friends, teachers, cousins, etc. all talk smack about Mcnabb every time he's injured or plays poorly. But sure enough, when they're in the NFC Championship game, his jersey is worn by every one in Philadelphia. It's sickening.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes. I never understood the McNabb bashing. The guy is a great QB and has been for years. Why the fans in Philly want him out I have no idea. It's disgusting the way he is treated. I'm not impressed with Kevin Kolb at all and they would be dumb to trade McNabb now when he has all these weapons and is always winning. Yeah, I know he hasn't won a Super Bowl and some feel he never will, but all I know is...be careful what you wish for Eagles fans.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Kolb is a fine QB his time has come. This situation reminds me of Favre without the retiring and unretiring.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I will be real interested to se Mcnaab not in such a QB friendly system, he could prove alot of people right and alot of people wrong...

7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Cmon the guy has been putting good numbers for a decade with duds at the WR position for the most part. He's a good Qb, I guess this is how it ends for most players but really the amount of angst the Philly fans have directed towards McNabb shows they are just petty and uninformed fans, the article had it right, he's not Manning but he's in that tier right below the Mannings, he's still a franchise caliber Qb who doesn't deserve to be scorned by fans with silly, ridiculous expectations.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Remember this is the same system that made AJ Feely look like a future franchise QB.

I just dont see how going to the Raiders is so "undeserving"? I know they are horrible but they are still an NFL team and he will still get a paycheck...

Also his numbers in NFC title games and the SB combined are horrible.

anlgp likes this.
  9. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I guess we should have traded Dan Marino for a 2nd round pick to one of the worst teams in the NFL when he was 33?...You don't trade a guy thats been as a good a player on and off the field as McNabb to the Raiders, I'm sorry but that is horrible to do that to a decent person. You banish headcases to the Raiders you don't send good citizens like McNabb to that hell.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Well if thats the team that meets their asking price then they will and they should. The Eagles front offices goal is to get as much as they can for an 11 year veteran. Just because the Raiders are the only team "dumb" enough to part with that high of a pick doesnt mean they should ignore their best interest because its the Raiders.

anlgp likes this.
  11. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

McNabb has not been the only person getting the Eagles to NFCG and deep in the playoffs for the past 11 years. Jim Johnson sent players to 26 pro bowls on his side of the ball as well.

It's a business decision on the Eagles part and if they can get a high pick for a player like McNabb who will give the Raiders offense a passing threat (McNabb's strength is downfield not short stuff and they have burners) their team could be pretty good. Oakland did beat Philly last year. Richard Seymour, Nnamdi Asomugha, Donovan McNabb.. 3 pretty great "franchise" players who can turn that locker room around and perhaps the team on the field around.

edit: may 5th donovan is due 6.2M roster bonus. I betcha he's gone by then.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Are you serious with this?
    He has been a VERY good QB since coming into the league.
    He's been a VERY stand-up guy even with constant obstacles thrown in his way.
    It is a little like the Farvee thing, except without all the princess drama.
    I hope nothing but good things for Mr McNabb, and I hope he ends up with a contender so indeed he can prove who's right and who's wrong.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He's been on a winning team his whole career, he should consider himself lucky.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  14. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Didnt you sorta prove my point? If he is truely as good as of a QB as presumed why cant he elevate a team that already has some talent to division contenders?

15. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    He can if he goes somewhere besides Oakland. You're talking about the worst run franchise in the NFL now that Cleveland and Detriot have some direction. You don't trade a guy to Oakland that is a class act.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

There is likely a reason no other teams are pounding down the door to give a top 42 pick for an 11th year QB....

So if the old man wants to screw the pooch and trade away that high of a pick for Mcnabb then by all means you accept the "gift" and be on your way.

I actually think he is better suited to be a Raider than a Brown...he has struggled his whole career with accuracy 10 and in, like someone said he can just wing it in Oakland.

17. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    really? Why don't you look at feelys year in 2007 when he had more ints then tds.........

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    ??? Well Feely sucks, thats been established...but the fact that at one point he looked good was more to the system he played in than his own talent, is that the case with McNabb? Maybe somewhere in the middle I think...they certaintly were not going to go to all those NFC title games with Feely..but I doubt they miss the playoffs without Mcnaab in those years.

19. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It's a business.....deserving things are personal.....from a business standpoint all that is removed.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    if its a system feely wouldn't have had a season like that correct? The point is I think you can agree saying "it even made feely look good" is a bit of an overstatement correct?

21. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Are all of our players just business to you? I think we are touching more on what fans feel for the game. I can certainly understand managements side of things and why they might feel its time to move on but what I don't get is why fans can appreciate what he's done....seems kind of sad to me.

22. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I thought the Raiders were trying to trade their CB with an insane contract, not their draft picks? Not surprised no one has bitten, most teams in that range have a Qb already or are young and not interested. I'd say the Vikings are a legit trade partner if Farve actually retires. Theres a lot of players on the trade block come draft day, we'll see where he ends up. Acting like because he isn't gone in a day that theres no interest is pretty silly. Most of the time these deals take..time.

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Meaningless to the business aspects (Fan's are self indulgent whiners by nature)....always should be about Business decisions toward the goal of winning a Championship, otherwise its not a business for profit.

To me, yeah, if you wear the Aqua and Orange and do whatever it takes to remain in Aqua and Orange, I got your back....you jump ship or are jettisoned off the ship...so be it (Z. Thomas and J. Taylor are in that boat - D. Marino is unique and one of the few). Teams and players change....whether Dolphins or Yankees that how it is. My allegiance is pledged to the Franchise and the name on the front of the jersey. Always will be.

Who said Fans cant appreciate what a player has done while wearing the uniform and flip the switch once gone? Its not hard to do, if you are a fan of the franchise over the player(s).

This isn't Egypt in time of the Pharaohs, its not like their names are stricken from the stone records...McNabb will always be associated with Eagles regardless if he gets traded. But Philly and perhaps Oakland are making a business decision (he doesn't have a no-trade clause - he can get booted and so be it)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsL8Pey_l8"]YouTube- North Dallas Forty[/ame]

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I thought Zach Thomas deserved better, I think JT deserves better than he is getting treated now, but the reality is to qoute William Munny..."Deserves got nothin to do with it"

25. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    why is it so hard for people to understand the franchise above the player concept. My allegiance will always reamain with the dolphins under all circumstances but I often get drilled for promoting this philosophy.

maybe it is that the Philly fans care more about the team than they do McNabb. Maybe they feel he has given them as much as they are going to get from him and now he is old and done. I see nothing wrong with the way he is being treated. Obviously he still wants to play and the Raiders will pay him to do just that. Don't lose any sleep over donovan or any other aging players in this league player fans. You will wake up in the morning and the replacement will be waiting in the wings.

26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    theres nothing wrong with showing loyalty to a player. suggesting the two are mutually exclusive is what confounds me about people. You can question the fos moves from time to time , and you can show loyalty to both at the same time.

jetssuck and muscle979 like this.
  27. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

That's not rue..........it's not the philosophy, it's the attitude with which you purvey it. Way too far over the top.....as tho you're looking for shock value or just looking for the fun of popping someone's balloon.

That and you just assume that ppl are taking a "player fan" stance when in reality we just don't agree with what you feel the player can or cannot offer... and THAT'S where it all started, so I find it amusing that you are so defensive, as tho someone is picking on you.

Want things to be different?...........well it all starts with you

muscle979 likes this.
  28. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The notion some have that there is no human aspect to business is ridiculous. Businesses are about the people that make them up. That is what makes them succeed or fail. The same as a football team. When someone busts their *** for your business and your city you don't throw them out like yesterday's garbage. Plain and simple. The franchise is absolutely nothing without the players. It is just an illustrated logo and brand name. What a great thing to devote your undying loyalty to.... Why is a player, or a worker in the business world, going to give you everything he's got after he's just watched you crap on one of his colleagues who has just done the same? It's not a good way to do business or treat people.

I've hated the way they treat McNabb in Philly for a while now. They'll soon find out what it's like to have to deal with not having a franchise QB. They'll deserve it too.

Anonymous and jetssuck like this.
  29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Not so sure they wont end up with a better QB in Kolb...just my opinion.

30. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'll believe it when I see it.

31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Sorta how I feel about him being a top QB. Lets see how he does away from the friendly confines of Andy Reid.:up:

32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Not sure if this is directed at me.....but if any confusion exists, I will say, a human aspect exists for players that make up the team I root for. Being that players come and go, being that the team remains, I do not invest in the player upon their exit, I invest in them while they are part of the team only. My investment is in the franchise and those players that have positively influenced my love affair with it.

I love every member the Championship Teams even if they left following (including the stupid WFL or in baseball with Yankees)...but my love is for the Franchise over and above since it remains.

Its a business in that sense. I feel that same about Businesses I run. I pay for performance fairly, and when I as owner deem a better performance exists elsewhere I see the rational (not fandom fanatical irrational) desire to make changes.

33. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    please send donovan to the raiders so he can make them a respectable team for one year so the pats dont get a top ten draft pick next year, pretty please.

PhiNomina, jetssuck and Anonymous like this.
  34. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    The problem is, philly fans have hated Mcnabb from the beginning when he was drafted until now. They may have acted fairweather when he won, but they have NEVER liked McNabb. There were people I am sure who even sided with TO when they had their disputes.

35. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

There are a lot of fans who like McNabb they just get overshadowed by those who don't.

36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Fans? The locker room was said to be divided because alot of people agreed with T.O, McNabb has numerously done his "white guy" impressions on air but its not a big deal, there is a double standard like it or not.

Now this has ZERO to do with his on the field abilities, he is a good QB in a great system Ill even call him top ten....but I just done see him having the same success when he has to carry the load.

37. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    No it wasn't at anybody in particular. Great players make a franchise. The Miami Dolphins would be nothing without players like Larry Czonka, Bob Griese, Dan Marino, Zach Thomas, and Jason Taylor just to name a few. You treat these people right, even later in their careers. This is how you treat other people; in sports, business, whatever you do in life. I firmly believe that an NFL team can treat players like human beings and still win. If you have employees who aren't performing well enough you replace them. But that's not what we're really talking about here. We're not discussing players who have nothing left to offer, or who don't play up to standard.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  38. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    The big difference is that McNabb isnt considering retirment right now he is commited to the eagles

39. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Miami Dolphins were everything, prior to, and after each of those players. The Franchise existed prior to, and after. Those players are a part (technically a small one) of the Franchise history. Significance has nothing to do with size (say that over and over without cracking a smile ;)), of which, those player's Significance is HUGE!

This isn't about how you treat McNabb down the line....(Czonka left, Thomas left, Taylor left)

I thought we were discussing McNabb and the Eagles FO? If so, the Eagles FO is the judge, jury, and executioner (OK, evaluator) of McNabb's value.

That's all that matters. Not the fans. Not McNabb.

40. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    They aren't horrible. He had some pretty bad games, but he also had some amazing conference games.

The system alone didn't make him. It helped, but Mcnabb's talents made him who he is. I doubt Kolb will come even close to Mcnabb's numbers. To be honest, I see Mcnabb as a Hall Of Fame Quaterback.