McGregor vs. Mayweather

110 replies

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum VeteranOP
Jun 14, 2017, 07:14 PM

The fight is set for 08/26. Go Conor. Curious to see the odds.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jun 16, 2017, 11:32 AM

Professional boxers can't even hit Mayweather. You mean to tell me that an MMA fighter is going to beat him in a boxing match? It's not a slap at MMA..list a better sport then Boxing right now. But I'm quite sure I can see how this will go...Mayweather will dance around the ring for 12 rounds landing just enough punches to win the fight while frustrating McGregor. I'll be surprised if McGregor doesn't just throw him in a Kamura lock in like round 5 and say screw it.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jun 17, 2017, 07:42 PM

This is pretty much the real life version of "the great white hype."

Conor doesn't have a chance but damn am I excited to watch it.

THTheOneForum Veteran
Jun 19, 2017, 10:14 PM

I think Mayweather knocks him out in 47 seconds.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jun 20, 2017, 12:02 AM

Mayweather will land over 40% of his punches... conor will be lucky to reach 15%.. thsts my prediction..

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jun 20, 2017, 01:12 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Mayweather will land over 40% of his punches... conor will be lucky to reach 15%.. thsts my prediction..

Conor has a bit more power than Floyd so if youre saying hes landing punches on Floyd then he has a chance.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jun 20, 2017, 02:30 AM

Floyd is at -550 right now. Has to be a significant bet to make it worth it and if I wasnt married Id be all over that.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Jun 24, 2017, 04:23 PM

Fight is a joke, obviously. Mayweather will thoroughly embarrass Conor, let him tire and then KO him if he chooses.

If I'm looking for value, I guess Mayweather fans will get to see him destroy someone. And boxing zealots will get to see boxing triumph over MMA.

I doubt Conor will get himself DQ'd. The whole point of this is to make a ton of money. No use forfeiting it. But make no mistake, he's going to be humiliated.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Fin-OFin-OForum Veteran
Jun 24, 2017, 04:28 PM

My casino host is working on getting me tickets to this.

Then I will be torn on rather to sell them or go.

"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jun 24, 2017, 07:10 PM

"Fin-O wrote:

My casino host is working on getting me tickets to this.

Then I will be torn on rather to sell them or go.

Sell them and buy tickets to Conor's next UFC fight.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jun 25, 2017, 11:36 AM

Connor's gonna get outclassed after getting himself gassed out midway through the 5th round.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2017, 11:48 AM

That "press conference" was pretty shitty. I thought the UFC had bad press conferences, but jeez.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2017, 08:03 PM

"MikeHoncho wrote:

Connor's gonna get outclassed after getting himself gassed out midway through the 5th round.

Connor is going to get outclassed because this is a boxing match and Floyd is one of the best defensive boxers of all time. But if you think Connor is going to gas after 15 minutes of boxing, you got to be crazy. Connor is used to 5 minute rounds of MMA, punching, kicking, wrestling, etc. Connor is going to miss quite a bit which will tire him more than usual. But Connor is a machine and wont gas in round 5. That is for sure.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2017, 10:36 PM

Eh, conor can't take a punch... when the fists start flying at his face he gets weak... and no one can throw faster punches than Floyd.. just look at all the shots to the face Nick Diaz gave to Conor and how that slowed him down... and floyd can do the same times 50..

if you ever watched a slowed version of floyd's punches you know that some of those punches are actually elbows he's throwing.. but it's so quick the referee doesn't see it..

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2017, 12:32 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Eh, conor can't take a punch... when the fists start flying at his face he gets weak... and no one can throw faster punches than Floyd.. just look at all the shots to the face Nick Diaz gave to Conor and how that slowed him down... and floyd can do the same times 50..

if you ever watched a slowed version of floyd's punches you know that some of those punches are actually elbows he's throwing.. but it's so quick the referee doesn't see it..

Dude, watch round 3 and 4 again of Conor and Nate Diaz part 2. Nate absolutely rocked Conor at the end of the 3rd, I thought he was done for. Hooks, elbows and knees. Then Conor came back and won the 4th round.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2017, 10:56 AM

"BevoPhin wrote:

Dude, watch round 3 and 4 again of Conor and Nate Diaz part 2. Nate absolutely rocked Conor at the end of the 3rd, I thought he was done for. Hooks, elbows and knees. Then Conor came back and won the 4th round.

Ya and nate's boxing skills is novice compared to Floyd. Floyd is a master. This isnt even close. Floyd will land a record amount of punches..

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2017, 12:45 PM

My opinion has become more mixed on this fight of late. Initially I said Conner had no chance. He's a novice boxer fighting against arguably the greatest defensive boxer of all-time in a boxing match. But there are a few factors in Conner's favor which I can't ignore.

Conner is taller, heavier and has a longer reach. Conner is one inch taller and has a two inch reach advantage. They'll weigh-in at 154 but I'd guess that Conner's natural weight is about 165 and Floyd's is about 145.

Conner is younger. 40 vs. 28. I don't think he's reached the point where he's declining significantly yet, but Conner is in his prime.

Conner is a southpaw. Floyd has had difficulty (relatively since he is 49-0) against lefties. That was a point of discussion before the Pacquaio fight. Manny wasn't successful landing that jab but he's also a smaller fighter. There will be some differences defending against that left hand jab from a heavier fighter with a longer reach.

I can't consider Conner anything but a longshot, but I think Floyd may have some issues here. I expect Conner to be very aggressive. He will probably try to overwhelm Floyd. I don't expect fatigue to be a factor against Conner. He's always been a high volume puncher and I find MMA to be more physically exhausting than boxing and he's younger. I don't see Floyd as a great offensive boxer. Floyd is a counter-puncher and I expect that Conner will provide opportunities to counter-punch if he's being aggressive. I don't see his power being overly effective against the bigger opponent. However, anybody can be knocked out with a punch on the button so Conner still has to be careful. That where I see the fight being decided. Conner has too press Floyd but he has do it carefully. That's where Floyd's experience is huge. You have to expect that Floyd is more likely to be able to defend than Conner is likely to be able to press smartly.
Conner has great natural timing which will compensate for some of his lack of experience. I think it would be a mistake for Floyd to try and be the aggressor. If he does he's likely to open himself up to a well-timed counter by Conner and I don't expect that Floyd is likely to be able to hurt Conner so there isn't much advantage in that strategy for Floyd. As I said, I consider Conner a longshot, but I don't see a Conner win as far-fetched as I once did.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2017, 02:46 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Ya and nate's boxing skills is novice compared to Floyd. Floyd is a master. This isnt even close. Floyd will land a record amount of punches..

True, but Nate has hands. He spars with Andre Ward.

One thing I've noticed watching a lot of videos of Floyd is that the refs love to jump in the second Floyd starts getting rocked.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2017, 01:04 AM

MMA fans might like this

4 part series of a behind the scenes look at the May/Mac world tour. Dana is goofy as hell, but still an awesome watch.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2017, 11:29 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Ya and nate's boxing skills is novice compared to Floyd. Floyd is a master. This isnt even close. Floyd will land a record amount of punches..

Hands wise I put Nate in the exact same class as Floyd. Floyd is quicker. But Nate's boxing hand wise is on par with Floyd. Their power is also on par with each other. They both punch like they have pillows on their hands.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2017, 11:18 PM

I guess I'm not the only Conor stan, these WWE style press conferences are overwhelmingly pro Conor. This dude is huge.

He would be an epic roast comedian.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2017, 04:46 PM

My favorite moment of the entire tour was when floyd called his minion to get something out of his bag and Conor tells the minion "do what you're told bitch, do what you're told bitch". Had me on the floor laughing

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2017, 05:56 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

My favorite moment of the entire tour was when floyd called his minion to get something out of his bag and Conor tells the minion "do what you're told *****, do what you're told *****". Had me on the floor laughing

That was great. Toronto was my favorite PC overall.

But my fave is when he called Espinoza a fookin weasel and Floyds whole team was cracking up. Or when he rubbed the hell out of floyds head.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Jul 16, 2017, 03:45 PM

He's easy to root for, but I just don't see him winning.

I truly believe the result was agreed on before the contract was signed. Floyd and Conor will have a dress rehearsal before the fight. Floyd wont knock him out, but he will carry McGregor 12 rounds and the fight wont hurt Floyd's record, but it won't hurt McGregor's brand either and he will be able to continue making money off boxing.

There will be other big money opportunities for Conor in boxing should he want to challenge a guy like Pacquiao or should he dare take on guys like Canelo.. I have doubts he would attend such a dare but if the money is right, I am sure he will consider.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Jul 16, 2017, 08:32 PM

Demetrious Johnson is taking Conor over Floyd and hopes he fights the winner of GGG and Canelo.

Man, I would almost feel bad for Conor if he steps in the ring with GGG.