1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McFadden, Jerry Jones, and the #1 pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tupac Shakur, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tupac Shakur

Tupac Shakur New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    From PFT:

"Jones, a major booster of the University of Arkansas, personally contacted Falcons owner Arthur Blank to request permission for the program to interview Petrino."

I know that Jerry Jones is itching for McFadden. I think that the Dolphins absolutely have to take a trade that would offer Dallas' two first round choices, their second round choice, and their 2009 first round pick.

The 'Fins need a lot of players right now. The more "chances" that they get to take on players from a draft choice standpoint is a good thing. You never know what player will end up to be great. The draft is really a crap-shoot. The more picks, the better.

And, if not for anything else, keep McFadden in the NFC.

2. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    i want marion barber also

3. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    how does petrino and the falcons have nething to do with the 1st picK? im confused.

4. zach8111

zach8111 New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    wow...if jones offered that trade he would be gorssly over paying for that pick. i could see the two firsts this year along with DT tank johnson or a 2nd round or both maybe, but not three 1st and a 2nd.

5. daltoninnm

daltoninnm New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I know that Jerry Jones is itching for McFadden. I think that the Dolphins absolutely have to take a trade that would offer Dallas' two first round choices, their second round choice, and their 2009 first round pick.

Wow what makes you think (how do you know) J.J. would give up all of that for the 2008 #1 overall?

6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Actually they would be grossly underpaying according to the value chart. Remember, their other #1 is Cleveland's who sit right now at the 22nd pick. The Cowboys pick would be 31 and is essentially a 2nd round pick (it would actually be exactly one pick higher than our 2nd because of the Pats losing their pick). Their 2nd round pick is another low one, and you would assume their 1st next year would be low as well. According to the value chart, the 31st pick, the 22nd pick, the 63rd pick, and their future 1st (equivalent of a 2nd this year on the chart) is worth is 1932 points. The #1 overall pick is worth 3000 points. That's an equivalent of a 14th or 15th pick in the 1st round difference.

Personally I don't see the excitement people have about getting Dallas' two 1sts. They are low picks where you can get a solid player, but usually not a great player. With a top pick you get the chance at a game changing player. Yes, you are getting a boatload of picks, but I'd rather trade down a few spots and pick up extra picks that way and still get a game changer.

7. Betters75

Betters75 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    We have Ronnie, Rickey, Chatmen, Maumia, Gado and l. Booker(Cobbs is gone).

No need 4 Mcfadden, If we can get 3 1st and 2 2's plus a Tank, Go for it!!!!!!!!!

8. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Aren't you stretching this a bit? To surmise that Jerry is "itching" for McFadden because of this particular story from PFT is about as inconclusive as it gets. I am not saying Jerry does not want him because he is obviously a big time supporter of the Arkansas program. I am only saying that because [of the report that he may have had a hand in getting Petrino from Atlanta] there is absolutely no link between the two.

Although, I agree with you in thinking Jerry might want McFadden (I even posted in the chat over a month ago thinking along the same lines), your way of generating the story holds no water. I agree with your line of thought on Jones and McFadden, but the quote from PFT has absolutely nothing to do with the Dolphins and the draft (and/or trading the first pick).

9. zach8111

zach8111 New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    i just looked at the value chart and you guys are right, it would take 3 firsts (dal/cle this year, dal next year) a second and a player (maybe tank johnson) to come close to the value. that is alot to give up. that is why it is so hard to trade out of the number 1 spot. you will not get the value for it that it says, you will have to take a loss.
    but i WOULD to this trade even though we are losing big time according to the "VALUE CHART" (even though that thing is a bunch of B.S.) i would do cincy 1st round pick (probably top 4-7 pick) and chad johnson (he wants out of cincy it is rumored, even though he wouldnt want to come to an 0-13 team) we would be losing out but it is worth a top 3 WR in the league and we are only dropping a few spots in the draft. cincy might would want to move up only for mcfadden IMO though or dorsey cuz rudi has not done well this year with injuries or dorsey to help there defense out. I HIGHLY DOUBT WE WILL FIND SOMEONE TO TRADE WITH US, UNLESS WE TAKE A LOSS IN THE "VALUE CHART"

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "What if" Dallas packaged their two picks to get into the Top Ten, then traded that pick along with their # 2 or #3 this year and next year's first?

11. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    Jones has a man crush for Mcfadden and will probably pay especially if he makes it to the SB and wins it....

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd take Dallas' highest 1st pick and their second for it. We get another pick without having to spend $70 million on one player. The "draft value chart" is, in all reality, irrelevant.

13. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'd consider that deal. Getting "chart value" is unlikely because there is not any player that teams will give up the farm for...and NO McFadden is not that guy. Any team that gives up multiple day one picks for a running back, no matter who that running back is, needs their head examined.

Anything that we do involving the #1 pick HAS to include picks in next years draft. One draft will not fix this mess. If someone offers us a "low ball" offer (a 2008 1st (top 10), 3rd, a day 2 pick and a 1st in the 2009 draft) I'd be all over it.

Simply trading the pick to "pay less money" is a ridiculous idea IMO. Any trade HAS to return at least a top 10 and multiple picks.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Believe it or not, that might not actually be equal value in accordance with the point system.

And to answer your question, He'd give it all up cause he doesn't need 3-4 players for his team to make the playoffs, they can already do it with the team they have. Therefore he doesn't need these picks as much as other teams do. And as a GM, if he's so certain of a guy, like he probably is of McFadden, then he'd easily do it.