1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McCoy not hired due to Todd Bowles

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jan 21, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Well, guess we know who the DefCord will be now...:lol:

Disnardo likes this.
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

No we don't. That was McCoy's opinion on why he didn't get the job. Not for certain the reason he didn't from Ross and Ireland's perspective.

Bumrush and mbmonk like this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I wondered if they bothered to ask Bowles if he wanted the DC job.:pointlol:

Trowa likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    From that article:
    More speculation and bs. Typical of Armando, the worst of the worst in SoFL.

mbmonk likes this.
  5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Well, they said the main reason Bowles was being considered was bc they liked his presentation. I'm assuming they liked what he wants to do with the defense and obv he already knows what his players can do.

Let's see what he does. Every great DC was new to the job title at one point.

If anything I hope this means we have an aggressive plan to put this defense over the top.

6. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    armando was interviewed on one of the nfl.com show clips about his opinion on the philbin hire and i just saw a tidbit of it... and he said something along the lines of per his sources bowles is not going to get the DC job lol.

long story short... yeah pretty much what you said

Fin D likes this.
  7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think its a bad precedent to impose an existing coach or a GM on a prospective new HC.
    Its their career and reputation on the line and if they are going to fail it should be because they are responsible.

Its a form of meddling IMO.

Coral Reefer and PhinsRDbest like this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol What a dumb (typical) thing for him to say.

From what we've seen it does seem like McCoy was celebrating too early so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's trying to spin it that way.

Fin D likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If they do hire Bowles, then with his and Philbin's demeanor, you got to wonder if they are trying to build the anti-Jets.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    How's that any different from making any other decision?

If they feel like Bowles can get the job done then let's see. For me, it'd be different if the defense needed to be completely overhauled. All it needs is a few more pieces that should be pretty obvious for any DC to see.

11. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I have a dream that one day only links from legitimate sources will be shared on thephins.com. We finally seem to have gotten away from the bush league bleacher report articles. Now if we could just get over Mando too. I mean this is a guy who's so full of **** he can't keep his story straight from one hour to the next. He's like Fox news, so desperate to be the first one to break the news that he'll break 10 different stories on the off chance he gets one right and gets to say "HAH! Told you so!"

12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Well I'm glad we were able to get a coach with they constraints they were putting on them.
    *You have to work with Jeff Ireland
    *You have to hire Todd Bowles as DC

They probably told the candidates that they are required to fist pump at least once a game:shifty:

13. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    And supposedly they did both lol gotta love the Dolphins:knucks:

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If not Bowles, I almost wonder if Philbin might hire someone like Winston Moss to come in and run the D. Obviously he and Moss were on the same staff with the Packers. Moss had interviewed with the Raiders and I think he interviewed with someone else two years ago for a head-coaching gig. Moss is from Miami and played at the U, so it could be a homecoming of sorts.

Obviously Green Bay's D had some issues but Moss' main responsibility was inside LBs. He's gotten more out of A.J. Hawk than I thought anyone could've (this coming from the Ohio State fan in me); he had Nick Barnett playing pretty well, and he turned a former 6th round pick in Desmond Bishop into a quality starter for them.

I'd argue that Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme is more creative and may get more out of some players on the Dolphins defense than Mike Nolan's did, especially for guys like Cameron Wake and Karlos Dansby (and Courtney Upshaw if Miami drafts him, as I believe they should). I wouldn't be opposed to Moss coming in as a defensive coordinator/assistant head coach and potentially, as head coach in waiting as he's a bit younger than Philbin. Just my two cents, and that's only if Todd Bowels isn't retained as DC.

15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    NFL Network said not too long ago that the Fins are offering Bowles the DC position but that he is considering the Raiders HC job.

16. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    We don't know what happened. So maybe if Mccoy agrees to Bowles being D coord- Ireland gets his man and Ross wanted Philbin?

17. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    They were wrong about Jim Harbaugh, wrong about Fisher and wrong about McCoy. Are we going to believe any more nonsense these hacks throw around?

Trowa and Fin D like this.
  18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Things 'leak' about franchises all the time.

For some franchises, the leaks often make you think "Wow, that was smart." about the people running it.

Our leaks almost always make me think, "These guys are incompetent fools."

It would be nice to not keep hearing things that make me think that. Enough smoke in the air and you have to strongly suspect there really is a fire, not just the rumor of one. I'm 99% convinced at this point that Ross and Ireland are badly bungling their roles of running the franchise I love but no longer follow with much emotional investment (nor financial for that matter).

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

Dear god, stay in the rants forum, where this kind of crap belongs.

Trowa likes this.
  20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I know I believe everything I read in the media. Esp the SoFlo media.

21. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    You act like we're the first team who's ever kept a GM on and hired a new coach. News flash, it happens more often than you might think.

22. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Kudos for McCoy for pushing back. I don't blame him one bit.

23. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Jon Gruden was told he was keeping Monte Kiffen as DC when he came to Tampa Bay.

Trowa likes this.
  24. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I think the title is misleading...to assume he wasn't hired "due" to Todd Bowles. No one knows if McCoy said he would have Bowles he would have been hired over Philbin. May have been "one of" several reasons Philbin was hired including Philbin flat out impressed Ross more with what he has accomplished in his career.

25. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    If McCoy didnt want Bowles then he would of been forced to tell Ross/Ireland who he did want, perhaps there is were the problem is.

Generally the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Califin likes this.
  26. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Especially if they let it sway their decision on who they hire.
    I certainly hope this is not true.

If they past over their preferred HC prospect to hire their second choice in order to keep a coordinator............ yeesh......
    I simply do not want to believe this would happen,.

27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, whether it was really the reason that McCoy fell out of the top spot or not, if Bowles ends up as DC, it'll always be assumed that part of the story was fact... Gives a different light on his hire tho. Could be this was Ross' way of getting Ireland to jump on the Philbin bandwagon...you know, conceding Bowles as DC for Philbin as HC...

28. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Or, if Bowles winds up as DC, McCoy could have known about that beforehand and could be using this as a way to save face. Any way it shakes out it doesn't really matter anyway. Plus it's Mando, there's a 99% chance he got everything wrong.

29. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am certainly not saying that Bowles will not be the Dolphins DC, but it would surprise if he is offered the job and even more so, if he accepts the job if he is offered it. I have to think that it would be extremely difficult for him to come back to the Dolphins and accept a position other than the head coaching position which he applied for. I also don't think it would be the best idea for team unity. Since I would imagine that there are players on the team who wanted Bowles to be selected as the teams head coach. Having Bowles, plus the head coach who the Dolphins selected over him on the same coaching staff doesn't appear to be the most logical decision for the team going forward. I think it would be best for the team and for Bowles if he takes another position with another NFL team.

Bowles also has never been a DC in the NFL or at any other level of football. Because Philbin has a background on the offense, as opposed to the defense, the Dolphins would appear to be better served by bringing in an experienced NFL DC, to take over running the defense.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  30. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Just another good reason to hire to Philbin. If coaches are going to move up the ladder we will be getting coaches from perhaps the top organization in football in GB...much better than giving promotions to Bronco assistants.

I would be surprised if point 3 is not addressed by signing Flynn. He clearly makes the most sense. A new coach is going to be given a few years, excluding a coach is as incompetent as Cameron, to make the team playoff caliber. Peyton's injury and age seems unlikely he will be a "franchise" QB and the difference between Flynn and RG3 is RG3 will likely cost Miami at least two 1st round picks and perhaps two 2nd round picks. With Flynn all those picks can be spent on drafting talent around him.