1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthews is out for several weeks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Sucks. Hope this doesn't linger

Sent from my HTC One GE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Bpk likes this.
  3. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Assuming Matthews got hurt yesterday, Saturday was a tough day for teams and injuries (Baltimore and Philly etc.).

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Binns looked like he avoided the injury bug yesterday as he was out there today. But then something happened to his left leg today. Man, when it's your time to get hurt, it's your time to get hurt. We've brought in two receivers recently, Antrell Smith from Louisville and Kenny Stafford from Toledo. Bumphis and Collins have been really quiet thus far.

This is Marvin Mcnutt and Brian Tyms time to shine and see if they can make the team. They've each had positive moments thus far.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That sucks, he seems like a good guy on twitter, always happy.

Wonder if they'd consider giving Egnew some run at wr?

6. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Shoulda drafted a receiver.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  7. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

[​IMG]

8. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Let's just be happy we are talking our 4/5 wr

9. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It sucks but a #4 is replaceable.

11. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Damn, that's a killer for a 2nd-year guy trying to make a roster. Hopefully things still work out one way or another. We were incredibly fortunate with injuries last year; let's hope that continues one the season starts.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I feel bad for him. Hopefully he can get back out there soon because I think he's got some nice talent and he's a grinder.

DHPVW likes this.
  13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    yea because I didn't want one on draft day either

14. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Bummer. Is one of the players I am most excited about.

Bpk likes this.
  15. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't know the severity of Binns' injury but I think this really opens the door for McNutt to supplant Matthews for the 5th wide receiver spot. I think Binns' has a pretty strong hold on that #4 spot so I don't believe his injury (unless it turns out to be severe) will hurt his chances much.

16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I guess we missed that during all your rants.

Fin D likes this.
  17. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Why would you have wanted one on draft day?

If you used a high pick (1st, 2nd, 3rd) it would be wasted since Wallace-Hartline-Gibson's salaraies pretty much dictate they will see the vast majority of the WR snaps... unless you planned on cutting one of them or paying him millions to be used very sparingly.

If you used a low pick (4th-5th-6th-etc) then how would those receivers have any better chance than Matthews or Binns to make the roster? Essentially you'd be picking for the practice squad.

I just don't see how it makes a lot of sense. The exception is if there were a receiver you thought were SUCH great value you couldn't pass them up. In this draft, the only players like that, imo, would have been Tavon Austin if he'd fallen into the late first round, and Stedman Bailey whom we passed on (I think that was a shame, but only because he was a steal). I certainly didn't have my target locked on the idea of the position itself being important to draft.

Curious, did you have specific WRs in mind, or were you locked in on wanting 'a receiver' because you felt we needed it?

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's nice that we're upset about a promising talent being injured and they are that far down the depth chart.

Also never quote LBsFinest

Mainge, unluckyluciano, Bpk and 6 others like this.
  19. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Speaking of injured WRs:

:sad:

Bpk likes this.
  20. PhinsFan93

PhinsFan93 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    That sucks. Wish it was like Madden where you could just turn injuries off.

Gunner likes this.
  21. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Armon Binns torn ACL and MCL.

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    THAT hurts..

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

This should give Fuller more chances to show what he's got too.

Stitches likes this.
  24. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    This might open the door for one of those supplemental draft wrs to be signed. This kids from Purdue and Houston.

25. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Understandable.

26. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I wanted Austin, Patterson, Goodwin, Wheaton, Boyce, any one of them would have been fine. The last 3 guys we could have gotten in the 3rd. You're overlooking the fact that just because you might be the 4th wideout on the depth chart doesn't mean you're the 4th option in the passing game, I think their ability to do things that Hartline and Gibson can't do would have earned them opportunities to get on the field and make plays. Not everything is based on salary, we gave Ernest Wilford more money than we gave Gibson, that didn't guarantee him any certain number of snaps or targets.

As for Tavon Austin not being worth it until the late 1st, that's just ridiculous, we're not that deep at receiver. We were going to take him at 12 before Oakland let us trade rape them for the 3rd pick, this was reported by virtually everyone. Then in the 4th round we called Boyce two picks before we were on the clock and told him we were drafting him, he'd be a Dolphin right now if the Pats hadn't stole him away.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What exactly is several in football terms, four or more? Lol ...

28. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    As an avid Purdue fan I would love to see OJ Ross suit up for Miami and get a shot in preseason, I really don't think he'd make the roster though, he was Purdue's third best return man and has some off the field issue. He averaged well under 10 yards a catch with 56 receptions for 454 yards. He is fast but he isn't a great route runner. Honestly he is sort of a Roscoe Parrish type player if you remember him from the Bills IMO. Most of his receptions are bubble screens, which has been a staple of the Purdue offense on 3rd and long....which is probably why we don't win that often and we now have a new coaching staff thank God!

29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    On the plus side it's only 'weeks' for Matthews. So he should hopefully be back in time for the last pre-season game. Does stunt some growth though. Opens the door for Marvin McNutt, Brian Tyms, Jeff Fuller, Chad Bumphis, and Kenny Stafford and Andrell Smith.

Be thankful were talking possible 4/5 guys here and not an injury to our top 3.

Bpk likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    To me any regret over draft receivers has a heck of a lot more to do with Brandon Gibson and even to some extent Brian Hartline, than it does Rishard Matthews missing a few weeks or Armon Binns going on IR.

These really aren't big developments. I feel for Binns as a person. This is a serious career setback. But outside of that it's not going to affect the bottom line.

31. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

My bad.

Fin D likes this.
  32. DHPVW

DHPVW DuB addict

Apr 1, 2010
    AZ-520
    I think Matthews was going to have a real good season. Sucks he has had this set back. Hopefully he can get healthy soon and contribute on the field. McNutt and Fuller have a big chance to step it up and I think or hope they will.

Bpk likes this.
  33. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I agree with these observations. Though all of us hope Jordan will become an all-pro, I too thought (and still do) Austin was a better option for us based on needs. And, thought I am very hopeful Jamar Taylor will be a good player it is not looking like he's going to be a big contributor this year given how much he is missing in camp.

As noted, being #4 doesn't mean you are not a potentially very productive and important player. Green Bay has gotten a ton of productivity out of their #4 WR's throughout the years (more recently James Jones, Cobb & Driver - in fact, Driver was a #5 for a while and even he got good productivity in spots). When you can through waves of WR's who have starting capability you can become a very potent passing attack and offense. What a very good #4 player does is it allows a team to isolate a potentially starting calibre WR against a #4 CB (talent at a #4 CB is very hard to come by).

The loss of Binns and the injury to Matthews thins out the WR position significantly at this point and it does hurt in a league where it's not just about standard two WR sets. It reduces the team's ability to attack opposing D's with a wide variety of options.

While several are saying this gives "opportunity" to several other WRs (and hopefully one will actually emerge as a talent - ala Victor Cruz), there's a reason those guys were where they were on the depth chart.

LBsFinest likes this.
  34. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I imagine Fuller will have a nice play or two but I don't expect him to make the final roster. I imagine we'll go into the season with McNutt as our #4 and Matthews as our #5. I could very well see them swapped as Matthews the #4 guy too.

35. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    marlone moore would be nice to have right now... Knows the offense and good ST. alas, he is on the 49rs I think.

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He just didnt offer anything from an offensive weapon POV..his hands were really not good.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I liked Austin and Bailey in the draft (and a non-cocussed Swopes). Any of the other WRs that were available after the first round would not IMO improve our WRs this season. I had those guys rated similarly to McNutt (at best) and I see him as a borderline 5th/6th receiver for us this year.

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    All I heard from this board all offseason was how deep this draft was at receiver and how we could find a contributor in the middle rounds and now you're telling me none of the guys taken after the 1st round save for one could have helped us? I disagree.

39. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I heard this reciever draft was pretty shallow.

Bpk likes this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    #1. Why are you holding raf responsible for things the nebulous 'board" said?
    #2. Are you really acting like we didn't improve our WR corp this offseason?
    #3. Are you seriously breaking out your tired complaining routine over a #4 Wr who will be back before the season and a #5 WR who is out but we already have his clone in McNutt?

Jesus dude, get over it..

Anonymous and btfu149 like this.