1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Ryan - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ronnie Bass, Mar 28, 2008.

Tags:

Should we draft Matt Ryan?

1. Yes

8.9%
  2. No

85.1%
  3. Unsure

5.9%
  1. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Personally I'm still not so sure myself, but I do suspect we will draft him and for a couple reasons:

- Parcells loves QB's like Ryan, big, strong, smart and good leadership skills. More and more it seems to me that Parcells doesn't have much interest in Beck being the QB he will ride. I really have nothing to back this up but a strong hunch.

- if we pass on him and the Jets take him and he as good as advertised and our pick, well, is not, it would be a just a disastrous move for us, especially if Beck does not play to everyones expectations.

Now while I think we will take him do I think we should is a different question and the one I put before everyone.

And I'm voting Yes - reluctantly - for a very simple reason, I can live better if we draft him and he is a bust then if we don't draft him and he turns into another Tom Brady for someone else - especially if it's the Jets.

Not the right reason I know, but nonetheless it is my top reason for saying Yes.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    NO!!!!!!
    Next question

3. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    NO. We have our QB...at least until he PROVES us otherwise. We need to draft a LT in my opinion. A LT will not only make John Beck better, but will also make the whole offense better, including Ronnie Brown.

PhinsRock and Vaark like this.
  4. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    You need to PROVE something first before you are allowed to prove otherwise. Yes, draft Ryan.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    IF Ryan slips to 33.....Nope, pick best o-lineman left ;-/

6. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Believe me man, I wish we could say this but we really can't because Beck hasn't proven anything. And I like him a lot, but if we can't say he is the answer for us at QB how can we so easily rule out Matt Ryan?

Right now Beck is just an option at QB just like McCown is and Ryan.

7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    NO!!
    not at #1 overall.

8. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    I was referring to Beck....He needs a chance to prove that he can be our starter. Unlike our past 4 seasons where noone was given a chance. We just brought in someone else who we thought would stop gap us for the year.

Feeley
    Griese
    Rosenfels
    Culpepper
    and now Beck

Lets stop this roller coaster and give our young gun a try for once, and stick with him for a year.

Ducken likes this.
  9. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    How could he have proven anything? He hasn't had a shot. How would you feel this same time next year if we take Ryan this year and he gets to play 2 games this year? I'd feel alot worse knowing that I had to pay my #1 draft pick all that money and I still don't know if he is the answer or not. Stick with Beck and draft a LT to protect him. We all know that if he has time he has a great arm.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  10. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Let him earn it between April-August. You can't hand him the staring job for 16 weeks and say here...let me see what you got. Is the '08 season Beck's personal tryout session? Where's the competition? Henne, Flacco? I believe they are hardly an upgrade.

11. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    NO....we should at least give McCown and Beck a shot. Drafting Ryan would basically mean we wasted a 2nd last year in taking Beck. If someone like Flacco should fall to the Third then maybe take a shot on him, but I just don't feel Ryan is our franchise qb.

12. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    That's a very fair opinion, but I will say this about Tuna, one thing I know about him is despite being a defensive coach first he is a very good judge of talent when it comes to QB's. He drafted Phil Simms when everyone thought that was a stretch and stuck with him through his first few and lean years and it panned out for him BIGTIME.

He also saw something in Tony Romo as well, Tuna has always had the magic touch when it comes to QB's and if he takes Ryan at #1 overall, I am going to be confident and comfortable knowing he must have seen something that made this pick worth the risk it brings.

13. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    That's why we signed McNown. Beck won't be GIVEN the starting job, he'll have to win it. Ryan does not stand out that far from the next 5 best QBs in the draft IMO. I don't see a need to draft a QB that high who is not guaranteed to even beat out our incumbent.

14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Draft Ryan 1st, OT 2nd and let Taylor and Porter man the outside. Draft Selvie next year for OLB

15. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I respect your opinion but I thought this discussion was hashed and rehashed over on the other site, kind of like a :deadhorse:.
    As far as the first round pick and being able to live with it if Ryan was a bust would be difficult to comprehend. The problems the Dolphins are going through right now are the cumulative effect of years and years of bad drafts. The number #1 pick in the draft doesn't come around very often. If Miami were to waste that pick on a questionable pick who doesn't pan out would have a devastating effect on the Franchise. Me personally, if Ireland and Parcells are convinced that Ryan is a bonafide Franchise QB or at least a very good to great QB then I can live with that. But it is critical that this first pick be a success for the future of the franchise.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  16. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    McNown? he is no future QB. Ryan will beat Beck. Beck does not have Ryan's poise, decision making, and ability to read and execute quickly. Ryan's accuracy will beat Beck's. Arm strength is comparable.

17. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Actually I did a quick look and I didn't find any threads recently, or more importantly a poll because I am curious to know where this forum as a whole stands and individually.

To me taking any QB at #1 is a questionable pick because I don't trust many folks opinions on QB's since they have historically been arguably the toughest position to judge how a stud college player will translate to being a pro.

And ironically one of those people I do trust is Tuna because unlike many others he has a very solid track record when it comes to QB's.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No overhyped.

19. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    And there with that one statement you prove that you do not in fact know about Parcells. Ray Perkins was the HC for the Giants in 1979 - the year that Phil Simms was drafted.
    Sorry; I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you're going say that you have an understanding of Parcells' thinking you ought to be certain that he actually did something that you're using as evidence.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1979.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1979_draft.htm

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    This is all predicated on Parcells take of Beck. If he's decided that Beck is the real deal then draft Chris Long, Jake Long or even Dorsey now that it seems like his medical concerns were overblown.

If he's unsure but thinks Beck might develop, draft Ryan and have them battle it out with McCown starting the season in all likelihood. If Ryan overtakes Beck but Beck develops nicely, you're set at starter and backup. If Ryan succeeds and Beck fails try to deal him next year or continue to try to develop Beck into a backup. If Beck succeeds and Ryan fails, continue to try to develop Ryan while Beck leads our offense.

If his take is I dont really want to go to war with Beck, try to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder to teams desperate for a QB. With Flacco, Brohm and Henne all going in the 1st or 2nd round, Beck might look appealing to a team whose choices are Woodson, Booty, Johnson and Ainge. A late 2nd or 3rd rounder could be a win win for both sides in that scenario

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  21. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Personally, I am not sure myself either. Although from what I have seen from him, I'd say no.

I am sorry but from what I have seen, I just see an average QB in the NFL.

I think we'd be better off going with one of the Long guys at #1

alen1 likes this.
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with you.

23. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Wow, I messed up bigtime there and more than you realize, I'm from Jersey and my old man was a HUGE Giant fan so I always watched and rooted for them since 1976 - when I was 11 - so even so I made a mistake here don't mistaken my knowledge about Parcells and his relationships with QB's.

Simms was not the most popular choice to be the Giants QB in the early 80's, many fans and media were very critical about Simms play but Parcells was always his strongest supporter.

So even so Parcells didn't draft Simms, he always made it very clear since day one Simms was his QB and his choice.

EDIT: When I did my sloppy research I happen to use pro-football-reference like you did, I LOVE that site.

24. phins17

phins17 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    No not the first pick.

25. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007

Now THAT I do remember. It seems to me that alot of it had to do with Simms' injuries. I used to kind of follow them and I recall several times Simms started out the year strong only to get injured. It took awhile but he finally put it together.

And about the other...don't sweat it. I've put my own foot in my mouth more times than I want to remember

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

No...not at #1...now if we trade down into the top 6 and he's still there, fine but not at #1 overall. Nice player, but not worth the risk that he may be just another arm...

27. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    True, but what need has held this franchise back more since Marino has left?

adamprez2003 likes this.
  28. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    There are times to play for value and then there are times you need to play what is best in yours team future.

In other words if Parcells feels Ryan can become the QB for us the way Brady has for the Pats - and not trying to suggest Ryan can become like a Brady, I'm just saying....then the only true value is the value Parcells puts in Ryan.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  29. giovafin

giovafin Rossonero

Mar 25, 2008
    Still not convinced but I'd say no, not first pick overall, if he is still available at 32 (but I don't think so) then maybe IMO.

30. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

no. despite what adamprez says,:wink2:, i don't see him being much better if at all, than Beck.

31. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008

Gee weren't they attributing the same qualities to last year's can't miss #1 prospect, JaMarcus Russell, whom Beck actually outperformed in just about every measurable category aside from fumbles, and then only by 2. The way I look at it, we have a high potential QB already showing more promise than last year's #1 who's been eating his butt off while Beck's been working his off since season's end. I'm not necessarily suggesting Ryan's this year's hyped up Carr, Harrington, Smith(es)Couch, Leaf, etc... although there are some scary analogies; only that if the last 3 draft classes were lumped together, Ryan would be at best the 5th and maybe even the 8th or 9th QB drafted. Relative to the QBs in this class, he warrants a first round pick for sure, but somewhere in the mid teens or lower is where he more appropriately belongs

cnc66, Colorado Dolfan and Jed like this.
  32. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008
    LOL.. Adam can be quite the Squeaky Wheel, can't he??? [​IMG]

33. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No.

34. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    On that we can agree. Yes IF Parcells thinks that highly of Matt Ryan, then I'm sure he will in fact draft Ryan. Maybe he does feel that way, who knows ? IMO it's more likely that he doesn't feel that way than he does.
    One thing that Parcells stated in his initial PC was just how important it is to be right about the #1 overall pick. I took that to mean that he wasn't inclined to gamble on that pick. That he would draft the player who is most likely to have success in the NFL. Most point to Chris Long as being the safest pick.

35. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    no thanks

36. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    To be honest the one thing that keeps making me thinking Ryan is what Parcells hasn't said about Beck. Unless I have missed it - which is always a good possibility - from what Parcells comments about Beck I have seen it's like he's almost indifferent towards him - in other words, not impressed from what he has seen.

And hopefully Beck can change his mind and we don't have a need for Ryan and further strengthen our team by simply eliminating a weakness, but if Beck leaves Tuna uncertain, I just don't know if he is young enough to go through the next couple years to worry about that position.

37. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Like I said to late again, Parcells might not be in the position to wait and hope a QB falls in his hands, so I really think if Ryan really does impress Parcells, Ryan will be a Dolphin.

38. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Not really. I think its more to do with me having a higher opinion of Ryan than yourself and me probably having less faith as to how high Beck's ceiling is. To me Ryan is the Chris Long of QBs, as safe a pick at that position as you're going to get. Every player can bust but I think Ryan's bust potential is incredibly small. Doesnt mean he'll become Peyton but he also looks to me at least as someone who wont become Carr either. Basically the way I see him is a floor of Matt Schaub, alikelihood of Matt Hasselbeck and a possibility of Tom Brady

39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I just don't see how Ryan is worth number one overall money. The dude isn't going to be a superstar like a Manning, or a Marino. I also don't get the dude who said that Ryan is a more accurate QB than Beck...

40. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    matt ryan is overhyped so bad it isnt even funny, i think matt ryan= joey harrington i am sorry if matt ryan supporters disagree but thats the way i feel

no one was mentioning him as the #1 pick until the virginia tech game after that all we heard was matt ryan for the heisman, matt ryan will lead bc to the title, matty ice and all that crap like someone said if this was an oridinary year for qbs ryan would be a late second early 3rd round pick

i dont think we should draft a "franchise qb" just for the sake of drafting a qb #1, a franchise qb is a qb that will lead your team not just a figure head

matt ryan didnt impress at his pro day i think the best way to go is to sure up the oline and see if beck can grow

this is one of the most important drafts in the franchise if matt ryan was taken at #1 and he turned out to be a bust that would set the fins back a ways