1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Holliday headed to the A's

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by PeaTearGriffin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
  3. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Didnt see that coming at all. Wonder what they gave up, hopefully they gave upCarlos Gonzalez. Also hoping they cant sign him long term, but I imagine they think they can.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nice job dropping the ball here St. Louis. Pujols/Holliday would've been the best 3-4 punch in baseball.

I dont think this really shakes things up too much. Holliday might find the AL a little less to his liking...

5. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
  6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    All right, what did those aliens do to Billy Beane? He's supposed to give away established top talent, not take them in.

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    There's no way Oakland can or would sign him long term especially with Boras as Holliday's agent. I'm sure Oakland is hoping that with this deal they'll shoot the moon and hope to make the playoffs and let Holliday walk (getting two picks) or if the team stinks again they'll look to trade him in July.

I can't say this is a bad deal for them until I see who they're giving up. I've heard names such as Greg Smith, Street, and Gonzalez thrown out there but no one is sure right now.

Puts a little pressure on LAA to sign Big Tex though that's for sure.

8. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm hoping that pressure is a good thing and helps Moreno kick in a few extra bucks to get a deal done. I'm sure Boras will be using this to his advantage, damn him!

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
  10. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    damn, didnt expect the a's

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Honestly dont like this for either side. The A's gave up to muc for 1 year of Holliday but Hollidays home/road splits also dont warrant giving up so much. His 822 road OPS is pretty pedestrian. I tend to believe Colorado gave up their best player, one who an ideal fit and also didnt get enough back considering what Holliday brought to the table.

It does give the rockies an awfully nice 8th and 9th with corpas and street or vice versa.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Word is the Rockies are going to trade Street in a seperate deal. Either way he's a bit overrated after he had a nice rookie season and winning the rookie of the year award. He's a 'nail bite' closer.

13. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    For the right price the mets can use him. Hes a nail bite closer but Id rather deal something like Heilman/Fringe prospect for a guy who has sported a sub 3.2 era 2 of the last 4 years. Street also carries a respectable whip.

FYI, I mention Heilman because the Rockies have been trying to get him for the last 3-4 years it seems and he was discussed back at the trade deadline for Fuentes. Street is not a dominant closer by any stretch but I love the idea of getting him and signing a Jason Isringhausen or a Juan Cruz to fight it out for the closer spot instead of shelling out millions for an overrated K-rod with declining velocity or Fuentes who couldnt even hold the job last year.

14. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I just saw the crawl on TSN and it said "The Oakland Athletics are reportadly close to acquiring Matt Holliday"...and I jumped through the roof, scared the hell out of my girlfriend, I was ELATED!

....then I went to A's.com to check pout the details, thinking they would have to give up something to get a very good player BUT also knowing that Holliday would be a free agent at the end of the 2009 season. It made me think "they probably got good value".

...then I saw what they are giving up for him.

I've questioned Billy Beane in the past but never too much, his track record is so good when it comes to trades. This time though, I have to say, Billy Beane is being an IDIOT.

Yes, Huston Street is overrated. He is a white knuckle closer who never makes anything easy. Beane has never valued closers so him going does not bother me at all. I knew he'd get dealt this offseason. Devine and Zeegs will be at the back end of the bully and they are both more reliable than Street everyday of the week.

The other two names kill me. Greg Smith is a good young pitcher. His record last year is deceiving. No, he's not a top 2 guy but I think he could develop into a pretty darn good #3 pitcher. The A's staff is paper thin, full of kids, Beane can't afford to be trading starting pitchers, he should be adding them.

Carlos Gonzalez should not be going anywhere accept to the All star game within 3 years wearing an Athletics cap. The guy has all the tools. He's a gold glove in waiting in center. He's also going to hit 50 doubles, 20 homers and be around .300....SOON.

I like Matt Holliday. I wanted Beane to lok at getting him. They have needed a power hitting corner outfielder for a decade or more. That said, giving up your #1 prospect, a starter and a closer for one year of him is a farce. Holliday is a Boras guy, there is NO WAY IN HELL he signs a contract in Oakland. If the a's are in it at the deadline Beane might bite the bullet and keep him for the balance, letting him walk for picks. If they are out of it in July I expect Beane to deal him for young pitching.

I hate this move.

15. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Trade just seems odd for all teams involved. Why trade Holliday for a bunch of pieces you dont want? I'm not too surprised they're looking to move Street, but Gonzalez too?

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Rockies do have a top OF prospect in Dexter Fowler (I think that's how you spell his name) so maybe they have a deal worked out with another team beforehand.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Maybe they knew they werent going to resign Holliday and figured its better to get something?

Gonzalez is a stud waiting happen, dont know why they would be looking to deal him, but this is the first Im hearing of this.

They'll probably deal Street but if they dont thats an awfully nice 8th/9th with Corpas and Street.

By the way Billy Beane is a genius...Im thinking hes going to re-deal Holliday at the deadline and get twice as much as he gave up from some sap that really wants to resign Holliday a la Manny.

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    There are questions about Gonzalezs attitude and work ethics and that's probably the biggest reason he was dealt. Word is Oakland tried to talk and help him with learning the strike zone but he refused to listen.

19. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I understand why the Rockies dealt Holliday, I just find it hard to believe they couldnt find a deal w/ players they actually wanted to keep; assuming they are shopping Gonzalez.

I agree that might be Beane's thinking w/ Holliday. He did give up some pretty good players, but at the trade deadline he might be able to fleece some GM who's trying to make a playoff push.