1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mastiff vs English Bulldog

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by 305, Oct 9, 2012.

Mastiff or Bulldog

1. Mastiff

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. English Bulldog

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    So we're trying to decide on a new dog for the house.... we have a 18 month daughter and will be gettin a pup either this Christmas or next spring. And we're torn between an English Bulldog and a Mastiff. Both I've heard are good family dogs and can put up with a small yard (Mastiff surprisingly). I love Bulldogs, but health issues concern me. I also love big dogs, and a Mastiff seems like a gentle giant.

Anybody have either of these and/or what are your opinions?

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I love english bulldogs. I was going to get one but my landlord wouldnt allow a big dog so I settled on a poodle-bichon. Im definitely partial though, bulldogs are awesome. One of my friends has one and the dog always plays nice.

They do have serious hip problems though so just be aware. Plus little dogs do tend to live longer.

3. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Yeah, the health problems are the only thing that has kept me from getting one years ago. Do you know much about the upkeep and keeping the wrinkles clean? Some people make a big deal about it daily but some say its not that bad?

4. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont know much about keeping the wrinkles clean but I assume its no different then if you get a dog with curly fur and having to brush it so it doesnt get matted/shaven.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

[​IMG]

:crapstrom:

TooSoon?

Ohio Fanatic and Boik14 like this.
  6. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The only thing that's holding me back from getting a pooch right now is my annoying work schedule. To be gone for a 12 hour day (living alone) isn't fair for a dog, and I would never ever do that to one. If I ever get the work schedule to a better spot though, I'm already fairly sure I'd like to get an english bulldog. so there's my vote :up:

7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Mother in law has had a mastiff mix and a pure as a year old rescue. Both were/are super lazy, but very gentle and lovey. Just need to watch the slobber, the mix was horrible but the pure is actually pretty good as far as mastiffs go.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    All purebred dogs have health risks. Especially "odd" shaped ones like EBs and particularly with large purebreds like Mastiffs and Danes.

I had a Dane that lived 14 years but they're life expectancy is around 6 years give or take.

Whatever you choose, please, please, look into a rescued dog. If you decide on a specific breed there is a rescue for it most likely. The Humane Society says 25% of shelter dogs are purebred.

Boik14 likes this.
  9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This x 100. My dog was a rescue and dont think for a minute that he doesnt know he came from a puppy mill to having a master that feeds him large chunks of chicken that he loves lol.

Fin D likes this.
  10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I had an English Mastiff growing up. She weighed about 240 pounds but was like a giant teddy bear.
    You'll need to buy a shovel and wheelbarrow though........ cause they sh** like a horse.

11. finattic79

finattic79 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Juneau, Alaska
    Get the best of both worlds and get a Bullmastiff. They are 60% Mastiff / 40% English Bulldog. Sadly ours passed away about 2 years ago. They were originally bred to catch poachers for gamekeepers in England in the late 1800's. They rarely bark and are such loving dogs. We got him when I lived in England and my son was about 3 yrs old and was great with him. My daughter came along when Remus was about 2 yrs old and was unbelievable with her as well, she used to climb all over him and he would just sit there.

They are very low maintenance, and extremely lazy lol. Remus would just sit around for hours on end by me on the couch. They don't need alot of exercise, I took him on daily short walks and that was about it. He was a great indoor dog. The usually also only get to about 110-130lbs so not quite as big as a Mastiff. We plan on getting another next year. Good luck with finding the right family dog.

slickj101 likes this.
  12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Why not get an american bulldog? My friend has one and got it over the english bc of the health issues. Nice dog and the wrinkles don't seem to be much of an issue.

I'd say be very careful if you adopt a dog considering your kid being so young. You never know what could of happened to a dog w a previous owner. There's def certain cases that can be made for getting a puppy as soon as they're ready.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lmao.. Remus. Great name.