Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

719 replies

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2017, 11:33 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42353545

Disney bought Fox. Looks like the Marvel Universe can finally come together.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2017, 02:35 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42353545

Disney bought Fox. Looks like the Marvel Universe can finally come together.

Everything is better now.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Dec 14, 2017, 02:39 PM

"Destroyer wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42353545

Disney bought Fox. Looks like the Marvel Universe can finally come together.

Everyone has their own opinion about how and what should happen, but its cool news. I'm extremely curious to see how they pull it off, but Marvel has made very few poor steps with the MCU.

To me the easiest guess is the next X-Men movie, focusing on the Dark Phoenix, is the final one in that long series. Most of that canon will go away, and the characters will be rebooted and introduced into the greater MCU at some point, and in some fashion. I have to imagine that they have a plan they've been working on just in case things did work out.

And as far as Deadpool goes, he's so far on the outside of things that its completely easy just to bring him into the fold and say that it was the same universe the whole time.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Dec 14, 2017, 02:43 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Everyone has their own opinion about how and what should happen, but its cool news. I'm extremely curious to see how they pull it off, but Marvel has made very few poor steps with the MCU.

To me the easiest guess is the next X-Men movie, focusing on the Dark Phoenix, is the final one in that long series. Most of that canon will go away, and the characters will be rebooted and introduced into the greater MCU at some point, and in some fashion. I have to imagine that they have a plan they've been working on just in case things did work out.

And as far as Deadpool goes, he's so far on the outside of things that its completely easy just to bring him into the fold and say that it was the same universe the whole time.

I hope they keep Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and Dafne Keene as X-23.

Everyone else they can ditch and start over.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Dec 15, 2017, 10:00 PM

https://geektyrant.com/news/disney-ceo-confirms-x-men-fantastic-four-and-deadpool-are-coming-to-the-mcu?utm_content=buffera0b7b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Well, there you go.

This was all confirmed by Disney CEO Bob Iger who said, "We're also looking forward to expanding the Marvel Cinematic Universe to include X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool."

That statement that he made while speaking to investors (via Deadline), clears everything up regarding what characters will be joining the MCU. It's exciting stuff! Especially, with the news that Disney is going to allow Deadpool to be rated R and that they are looking at the opportunity to develop a "Marvel-R Brand".

This comment also clarify's that there will not be two separate Marvel movie universes as some fans have suggested will happen. Apart from the films that have already been made, everything involving these characters in the future will be a part of the MCU that Kevin Feige has built and that's freakin' awesome!

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 11, 2018, 10:46 PM

https://geektyrant.com/news/marvel-is-finally-moving-forward-with-a-black-widow-movie

The Black Widow movie is now officially in development. No word on a time frame, though it would seem likely that it would be 2020 at the earliest. They have three unannounced movies lined up for release that year.

As the writer here speculates, unless the movie is set in the past, it would then seem that the character survives the events of the upcoming Avengers movies and moves into Phase 4.

After years of talking about the possibility of seeing a movie that centers around Black Widow, Marvel is actually finally moving forward with the project! According to Variety, the studio has hired an up and coming screenwriter named Jac Schaeffer to write the script, so this is really happening.

I can't help but think that the Jennifer Lawrence Russian assassin film, Red Sparrow, helped push this film project into action. Fans are seeing a lot of similarities between Red Sparrow and Black Widow's past in the recent trailer that was released.

Sources say that the film is very early in development and the movie still hasn't received the greenlight, but having a script written is the first big step in making it happen. Marvel President Kevin Feige met with several writers before hiring Schaeffer. Marvel Studio has a direction for the solo film and Schaeffer will attempt to execute that vision.

Schaeffer broke out with her Black List script The Shower, which is a comedy about an alien invasion during a baby shower which caught the eye of Anne Hathaway, who is attached to star in the film.

Scarlett Johansson has played the character over the course of six films in the MCU. She is next set to appear in Avengers: Infinity War. If a solo film is being planned for the character, I guess that means Black Widow will survive Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 9, 2018, 08:41 PM

Venom teaser trailer....Tom Hardy....yes please

testing

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Feb 9, 2018, 08:45 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

Venom teaser trailer....Tom Hardy....yes please

Really? I thought the trailer looked terrible.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 9, 2018, 09:37 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Really? I thought the trailer looked terrible.

I didn't say the trailer looked good. I can still anticipate that marvel co-movie with Tom Hardy as a villain is going to be good..

testing

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Feb 9, 2018, 09:44 PM

I have no absolutely interest in the Venom movie, or really anything else branching off from Spiderman that's not part of the MCU.....but if those characters are interacting with the same Spiderman who is part of the MCU, I might eventually see it just because. I'm a big nerd that way, and don't want to miss something that's "real".

Sony keeping a hold of those rights is kind of weird, given that the rest of the Marvel Universe can now all be combined together, in theory.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 9, 2018, 10:03 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I have no absolutely interest in the Venom movie, or really anything else branching off from Spiderman that's not part of the MCU.....but if those characters are interacting with the same Spiderman who is part of the MCU, I might eventually see it just because. I'm a big nerd that way, and don't want to miss something that's "real".

Sony keeping a hold of those rights is kind of weird, given that the rest of the Marvel Universe can now all be combined together, in theory.

topher grace was indeed one of the worst villians in movie history

testing

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Feb 9, 2018, 10:06 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

topher grace was indeed one of the worst villians in movie history

He was better than Rhys Ifans.

IMO, Venom is the most overrated villain of all time.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 9, 2018, 11:16 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

He was better than Rhys Ifans.

IMO, Venom is the most overrated villain of all time.

both awful, still give the nod to Topher.
I was never a giant fan of Venom. I was a big fan of when Spider man was wearing the black costume (in the comics)

testing

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Feb 10, 2018, 04:27 AM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

both awful, still give the nod to Topher.
I was never a giant fan of Venom. I was a big fan of when Spider man was wearing the black costume (in the comics)

I actually kind of like Topher. I know he wasn't comic accurate, however, an opposite version of Peter Parker is just more interesting to me than a big roided out Spider-Man. The 90s cartoon did something interesting with Venom, however, the comic version was just 90s cheese.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

ScottishFinScottishFinSupporter
Feb 18, 2018, 09:39 AM

Black Panther is excellent. More of a stand-alone movie in the Marvel Universe. Sets out a very clear social message and IMO delivers on it.

Feb 18, 2018, 10:36 AM

"ScottishFin wrote:

Black Panther is excellent. More of a stand-alone movie in the Marvel Universe. Sets out a very clear social message and IMO delivers on it.

Saw it last night. Well worth the wait.

PHINS WOLVERINES ROCKETS


DON'T MESS WITH US!

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Feb 18, 2018, 11:56 AM

I enjoyed Black Panther. I don't have it among my top 5 super hero movies, but it's on that next tier for me. It wasn't one of those movies that you forget about the instant it's over. There was a message that didn't feel preachy. And IMO you could see reasonable or at least understand arguments for either side (protagonist and antagonist). I felt one side was clearly wrong or at least too extreme, but it's not just that the bad guy is "evil". I find that too often in movies (and in the real world) people want to pretend that the other side is just evil. Imo that's just lazy and not reality.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 4, 2018, 08:44 PM

"rafael wrote:

I enjoyed Black Panther. I don't have it among my top 5 super hero movies, but it's on that next tier for me. It wasn't one of those movies that you forget about the instant it's over. There was a message that didn't feel preachy. And IMO you could see reasonable or at least understand arguments for either side (protagonist and antagonist). I felt one side was clearly wrong or at least too extreme, but it's not just that the bad guy is "evil". I find that too often in movies (and in the real world) people want to pretend that the other side is just evil. Imo that's just lazy and not reality.

I saw it tonight and agree with a lot of that. I thought that it was well thought out and written, and gave very good back stories for all of the reasoning. It was well directed, and I liked a lot of the cast.

I did think though that they missed out on a lot of chances to add in lighter, everyday human language that's common in most Marvel movies. Though there was some levity, all in all it was a really serious movie. Not dark, but heavier than usual for the MCU. Given the box office success, its highly likely that it has one or more sequels, and I'm hopeful that they lighten the tone slightly.

My only real gripe was the primary villain. While I thought he was well thought out and rounded, either Michael Jordan did a fairly poor job acting him out, or he was given poor direction, because the character came out as bahaving far too plain and obvious for his background and potential. There was a lot to be had there that was lost, I think.

Still though, I certainly enjoyed it more than Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2. Maybe more than the first Thor too, but I liked Thor 3, Ant Man and the Guardians movies a lot more.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 5, 2018, 01:24 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Still though, I certainly enjoyed it more than Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2. Maybe more than the first Thor too, but I liked Thor 3, Ant Man and the Guardians movies a lot more.

that's pretty much just where I'd rank it too. I'd also put Dr Strange ahead of it too.

testing

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 5, 2018, 02:09 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

that's pretty much just where I'd rank it too. I'd also put Dr Strange ahead of it too.

I felt that those two were pretty close. I liked the dialogue in Dr Strange more though.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 5, 2018, 07:03 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I felt that those two were pretty close. I liked the dialogue in Dr Strange more though.

I'm a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan, so that easily tipped the odds in favor of Dr Strange.

testing

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 5, 2018, 07:06 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

I'm a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan, so that easily tipped the odds in favor of Dr Strange.

Even with a terrible American accent?

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 5, 2018, 07:07 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

I'm a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan, so that easily tipped the odds in favor of Dr Strange.

I've only seen him as Strange, Kahn and the voice of Smaug.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Mar 5, 2018, 08:39 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Even with a terrible American accent?

I was actually thrown by Martin Freeman's American accent for a bit watching Black Panther. Just felt off. But I got used to it.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Mar 6, 2018, 05:08 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I've only seen him as Strange, Kahn and the voice of Smaug.

His work in Sherlock Holmes series (with Martin Freeman) was brilliant. His best work might have been The Imitation Game.

testing