1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    topher grace was indeed one of the worst villians in movie history

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He was better than Rhys Ifans.

IMO, Venom is the most overrated villain of all time.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    both awful, still give the nod to Topher.
    I was never a giant fan of Venom. I was a big fan of when Spider man was wearing the black costume (in the comics)

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I actually kind of like Topher. I know he wasn't comic accurate, however, an opposite version of Peter Parker is just more interesting to me than a big roided out Spider-Man. The 90s cartoon did something interesting with Venom, however, the comic version was just 90s cheese.

5. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Black Panther is excellent. More of a stand-alone movie in the Marvel Universe. Sets out a very clear social message and IMO delivers on it.

6. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Saw it last night. Well worth the wait.

eltos_lightfoot and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I enjoyed Black Panther. I don't have it among my top 5 super hero movies, but it's on that next tier for me. It wasn't one of those movies that you forget about the instant it's over. There was a message that didn't feel preachy. And IMO you could see reasonable or at least understand arguments for either side (protagonist and antagonist). I felt one side was clearly wrong or at least too extreme, but it's not just that the bad guy is "evil". I find that too often in movies (and in the real world) people want to pretend that the other side is just evil. Imo that's just lazy and not reality.

8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I saw it tonight and agree with a lot of that. I thought that it was well thought out and written, and gave very good back stories for all of the reasoning. It was well directed, and I liked a lot of the cast.

I did think though that they missed out on a lot of chances to add in lighter, everyday human language that's common in most Marvel movies. Though there was some levity, all in all it was a really serious movie. Not dark, but heavier than usual for the MCU. Given the box office success, its highly likely that it has one or more sequels, and I'm hopeful that they lighten the tone slightly.

My only real gripe was the primary villain. While I thought he was well thought out and rounded, either Michael Jordan did a fairly poor job acting him out, or he was given poor direction, because the character came out as bahaving far too plain and obvious for his background and potential. There was a lot to be had there that was lost, I think.

Still though, I certainly enjoyed it more than Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2. Maybe more than the first Thor too, but I liked Thor 3, Ant Man and the Guardians movies a lot more.

9. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that's pretty much just where I'd rank it too. I'd also put Dr Strange ahead of it too.

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I felt that those two were pretty close. I liked the dialogue in Dr Strange more though.

11. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan, so that easily tipped the odds in favor of Dr Strange.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Even with a terrible American accent?

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've only seen him as Strange, Kahn and the voice of Smaug.

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I was actually thrown by Martin Freeman's American accent for a bit watching Black Panther. Just felt off. But I got used to it.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    His work in Sherlock Holmes series (with Martin Freeman) was brilliant. His best work might have been The Imitation Game.

16. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I would agree with this, and I really, really liked Iron Man 2 & 3 and Thor 2. Just that Ant-Man was so good. As were the Guardian movies, and Thor 3 is the king of them all. Dr. Strange and Black Panther were about the same to me. Great, great movies.

"I never freeze." Is going to be part of our lexicon for a few years.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have Black Panther way above Dr. Strange. I feel Black Panther has a stronger supporting cast and the villain is about a million times better. Though that reverse fight scene in Dr. Strange is my second favorite fight scene in a Marvel movie. That was fantastic.

Fin D and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  18. eltos_lightfoot

Apr 14, 2008
    Dr. Strange felt more multi-dimensional for me in it's plot and ending. But yes, Black Panther ROCKED. The characters were awesome.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I see what you did there.

I like Doctor Strange a lot. The plot on the hero side was very good. I loved the stuff with The Ancient One and Strange. Even enjoyed his love interest. On the villain side I thought it was very weak and generic. Which I am fine with since the Marvel movies are more hero heavy than villain heavy.

Black Panther is the only Marvel villain I felt true sympathy for. Zemo comes close, however, I still think him blaming the Avengers is a little contrived. It is also kind of personal. I did have some Kilmonger type thoughts growing up at times.

I do find ranking Marvel movies as a fun exercise that is mostly meaningless. It is crazy to me that there have been 18 MCU movies and the worst ones are Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and The Incredible Hulk. None of those are bad movies.

My excitement is lower because their success is so normal. I plan on seeing each one on opening Thursday, I just don't count down the days like I used to. I also know that after I watch Infinity War, that Antman and the Wasp is coming out soon and it is going to be good, then Captain Marvel is going to come out and it is going to be good, then Untitled Avengers film is going to come out and be very good, then so on and so on.

20. eltos_lightfoot

Apr 14, 2008
    That is a really good point about the villain. He was one of the best parts of Black Panther. That is also true about how they have raised the bar. They are lapping DC at this point.

Fin D and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  21. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Finally saw Ragnarok, what a fun as hell ride!

We're gonna get on this ship and get the hell outta here, wanna come?

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  23. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, IMO, this Thor and 1st GotG were by far the two most fun movies from Marvel. Deadpool a close third.
    I saw Thor in theatre 3 times and was still great fun the third time.

Unlucky 13 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Holy cow. If I get to the movies to see something once I feel lucky!

On a larger Marvel note, I'm having trouble getting excited for the next X-Men movie. Its not that I disliked the last one, because I thought it was enjoyable. But with how good the MCU is, and with the X-Men universe as we know it likely coming to an end, it just feels less important. To this point, I have seen every single X-Men movie in the cinema, but I'm not sure if I'll make time for it or not. Its still months away, so we'll see how I feel by then.

texanphinatic likes this.
  25. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, I grew up loving the Xmen, but I stopped seeing them in the theatre awhile ago. The previous trilogy left a really bad taste in my mouth that is only starting to get better with the recent movies. THey are good movies now, but to me not something I have to see in an IMAX theatre.

26. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Black Panther was awesome.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  27. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Double Post:

Top 5 Marvel Movies:
    Logan
    Winter Soldier
    Thor 3
    Black Panther
    Doctor Strange

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Civil War
    Spider Man Homecoming
    Black Panther
    Thor 3
    Winter Soldier

29. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Civil war is 6 and gotg 1 would be 7. No love for Logan?

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Logan isn't an MCU movie.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  31. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I still need to watch Spiderman Homecoming. I got it as a gift but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know that I need to before May.

My top MCU movies so far would be:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. Thor Ragnarok
    3. Winter Soldier
    4. The Avengers
    5. Iron Man

32. Destroyer

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Its so good I count it.

33. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    This is closest to my ranking:

1) GOTG
    2) Thor Ragnarok
    3) Winter Soldier
    4) The Avengers
    5) Dr Strange

danmarino and Unlucky 13 like this.
  34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't have a link, as it came from an article that Google recommended on my phone. However, Kevin Feige was quoted as saying that Phil Coulson's story will be addressed in Infinity War, and it was hinted that there might even be something from the show in the movie.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    have to say I changed my mind on Agents of Shield. I've caught up (at least as far as Netflix goes) on the series and it did get a lot better. waiting for them to add the next season.

36. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've enjoyed it from the start. It's honestly one of the very few TV shows that I watch these days, and Its beyond me why its never caught on more. Unfortunately, the odds of a 6th season seem pretty low, after ABC was forced by Disney to produce season 5. Given that the ratings have gotten smaller and smaller, hopes of anything beyond this May are close to zero.

Apparently, many episodes of this season have had viewership among the lowest of all prime time network shows. The show ranked 110th last year, when ratings were higher. To this point, they haven't even seen fit to sell a DVD for Season 3, which aired in 2015/16.

While my hopes aren't high that any of the cast will remain part of the MCU after this season ends, it would be a real shame if they aren't. Chloe Bennet, as Sky/Daisy/Quake is excellent, to the point of being special. She's only 25 still, and could easily hold her own as a supporting actress and character in future MCU movies.

37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    In other MCU news, its been announced that Avengers 4 is no longer Infinity War 2 (if that makes sense).

https://geektyrant.com/news/avenger...and-different-heroes-will-be-at-the-forefront

While the movies were originally planned as a 2-Part story, possibly as the end to the MCU, that is no longer the case. Avengers 4 will be a regular sequel and continuation of the Universe, but will focus on a different primary cast.

And this article notes that Ant Man & The Wasp will take part immediately after Infinity War, and not be set in the past or a different timeline. Also, Captain Marvel will be in Avengers 4, but not the upcoming movie.

https://geektyrant.com/news/captain-marvel-confirmed-to-appear-in-avengers-4-not-in-infinity-war

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  38. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I watched the first few episodes, and they were just so bad I stopped. I have heard they got much better after awhile, but I never really felt like going back. Compound that with the show having little to no connection to the cinematic world and I feel that's why it never really got any steam.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched Spiderman Homecoming and enjoyed it. Not one of my favorites, but a good one off, and they did a lot right. I'm glad to have the character as part of the greater MCU and to see what happens from here. I did like the villain a lot. He had a good back story and depth, and was well done. And KAREN is awesome.

The whole "8 years later..." deal at the start is just nonesense, that I guess we simply need to agree. It bugged me the whole movie, and after reading what others think, there seems to be absolutely no logical explanation.

40. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    definitely eager to see who they kill off in Infinity War. Interesting to see if they have the balls to kill off major character(s).