Marvel Phases 2 & 3 Discussion

719 replies

Fin DFin DForum VeteranOP
Jul 2, 2014, 10:52 PM

Thought that with all the stuff they got going, there might as well be a thread about there live action universe.

Also, just got the idea for Pedro Pascal (the Red Viper from GoT) as Dr. Strange.

Colorado DolfanColorado DolfanNew Member
Jul 3, 2014, 12:33 AM

Pascal would make a fantastic Dr. Strange... Get on it, Marvel Studios!

Get dirty, get bloody, get sweaty...

...get happy.

-Cam Wake

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 3, 2014, 02:02 PM

Glad that the Winter Soldier finally got a DVD release date (Sep 9), so that I can see it, and then finally watch the rest of Season One of Agents of Shield. I've been abstaining due to mixed spoilers.

ether79ether79New Member
Jul 3, 2014, 06:29 PM

Winter soldier rocked. Read an article yesterday with Mark Ruffalo discussing a new stand alone Hulk movie to take place beginning around phase 3 I believe. Thatd be killer I bet. I hope it gets greenlit.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Jul 3, 2014, 06:33 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Glad that the Winter Soldier finally got a DVD release date (Sep 9), so that I can see it, and then finally watch the rest of Season One of Agents of Shield. I've been abstaining due to mixed spoilers.

What are you, Amish?! :tongue2:

invidinvidSupporter
Jul 3, 2014, 10:24 PM

"ether79 wrote:

Winter soldier rocked. Read an article yesterday with Mark Ruffalo discussing a new stand alone Hulk movie to take place beginning around phase 3 I believe. Thatd be killer I bet. I hope it gets greenlit.

**** yes. Please.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 5, 2014, 07:34 PM

"NaboCane wrote:

What are you, Amish?! :tongue2:

LOL, no I have a young baby and my wife and I can't go out to the movies for a while.

ether79ether79New Member
Jul 6, 2014, 12:38 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

LOL, no I have a young baby and my wife and I can't go out to the movies for a while.

I always found thats the best time to. "Oh honey you know its best to see movies like that on the big screen of the theater." Little guilt trip...make her think she thought of the idea...next thing you know...boom! she's watching the baby, so you dont have to miss seeing it at the theater

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Jul 6, 2014, 02:28 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

LOL, no I have a young baby and my wife and I can't go out to the movies for a while.

Winter Soldier is out at the cheapo theaters now---we saw it again last night for $3.75. Go to a matinee at the cheapo theater and no one will care you have a baby with you.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jul 6, 2014, 04:23 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Winter Soldier is out at the cheapo theaters now---we saw it again last night for $3.75. Go to a matinee at the cheapo theater and no one will care you have a baby with you.

That made me literally laugh out loud. I know that all kids are different, but we can't even manage to watch a movie at HOME with our baby and almost 3-year old most of the time!

TiP54TiP54New Member
Jul 7, 2014, 01:27 AM

So what is considered Phase 2? Winter Soldier and Thor 2 and on?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2014, 01:53 AM

"TiP54 wrote:

So what is considered Phase 2? Winter Soldier and Thor 2 and on?

For the first two phases, they are marked by the Avengers.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2014, 05:00 AM

"TiP54 wrote:

So what is considered Phase 2? Winter Soldier and Thor 2 and on?

Yeah. So far Phases 1 & 2 have started with Iron Man and ended/will end with Avengers.

Phase I: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, (Plus all the One-Shots), Avengers

Phase II: Iron Man 3, Agents of SHIELD, Thor 2, Captain America II, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers II

(*There's also 5 new TV shows coming - Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage & Iron Fist. There's talk of a TV miniseries with those last four i.e. The Defenders. I'm not sure when these all come out so I don't know what Phase they fall under.)

Phase III: Is to include Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy II, Avengers III. Others rumored are Black Panther & another Hulk.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jul 25, 2014, 09:57 PM

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-marvels-doctor-strange-1201264060/

Joaquin Phoenix In Talks to Play Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jul 25, 2014, 10:08 PM

dr strange vs dr fate. Discuss.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Jul 25, 2014, 10:21 PM

Doc Strange should be interesting.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jul 25, 2014, 10:23 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

dr strange vs dr fate. Discuss.

Dr. Fate has a cool helmet. Dr. Strange has the better name.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jul 25, 2014, 10:30 PM

I'd say the care bears would beat both of them.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
Aug 4, 2014, 09:40 PM

Bad news for FF and X-Men fans:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/02/tom-brevoort-semi-confirms-reduction-in-prominence-of-x-men-at-marvel/

Gist of the link is that Marvel is scaling back on FF and X-Men due to the rights being with Fox. Apparently Fox is playing hardball and it's starting to affect the comics now, where FF may be cancelled and Marvel is pushing the Inhumans as a replacement for X-men. I'm indifferent to the Fantastic Four but I grew up on X-Men, sucks to see this happen.

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 10:11 AM

"Deerless Dice wrote:

Bad news for FF and X-Men fans:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/02/tom-brevoort-semi-confirms-reduction-in-prominence-of-x-men-at-marvel/

Gist of the link is that Marvel is scaling back on FF and X-Men due to the rights being with Fox. Apparently Fox is playing hardball and it's starting to affect the comics now, where FF may be cancelled and Marvel is pushing the Inhumans as a replacement for X-men. I'm indifferent to the Fantastic Four but I grew up on X-Men, sucks to see this happen.

Can't believe Marvel would ever flat out cancel the Fantastic Four, but I understand their frustration with the rights deals.

They were very close to getting the FF rights back, until Fox rushed what appears to be an absolute abomination of everything the FF were about into production, and Fox has completely diluted the X-Men series with too much Wolverine, in too many mediocre movies. Marvel is KILLING him for god sakes.

And frankly, the Marvel Studios movies are so much better. Sony is destroying Spider Man. This summer movies starring both Captain America and the Guardians of the Galaxy will both far outgross a Spider Man movie. This should be impossible. But that's what happens when you lose control of your intellectual property

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Aug 5, 2014, 02:15 PM

'The Fantastic Four' comic was based on a premise that I never thought would work on a big screen, but would do well as a pure-action cartoon.

The hatred by each character of their own individual identities is something that can work to portray an individual like Spider-Man, and that plus the guilt suffered every day by Mr. F for getting them all into their "predicament" worked okay in a monthly or quarterly comic. But, onscreen, it can't come across as anything but whiny and maudlin.

I don't think it will ever be a compelling big-screen subject like 'The Avengers.'

Deerless DiceDeerless DiceSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 02:38 PM

Marvel killing Wolverine is good move, he's been over saturated for a long time and it'd be nice to get some stories that don't involve him for a change.

I really would like to see FF/X-Men/Spiderman back with Marvel, for all of the reasons you listed.

Still wrapping my ahead the older brother from Goonies being cast as Thanos

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 03:09 PM

"Deerless Dice wrote:

Bad news for FF and X-Men fans:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/02/tom-brevoort-semi-confirms-reduction-in-prominence-of-x-men-at-marvel/

Gist of the link is that Marvel is scaling back on FF and X-Men due to the rights being with Fox. Apparently Fox is playing hardball and it's starting to affect the comics now, where FF may be cancelled and Marvel is pushing the Inhumans as a replacement for X-men. I'm indifferent to the Fantastic Four but I grew up on X-Men, sucks to see this happen.

Canceling them could be the very best thing ever. It would make the properties worth less which could prompt Fox to sell them back.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2014, 03:11 PM

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/12-minute-video-explains-every-marvel-easter-egg.html

This 12-Minute Video Attempts to Explain Every Marvel Easter Egg

schmoliootschmoliootSupporter
Aug 5, 2014, 03:15 PM

"NaboCane wrote:

'The Fantastic Four' comic was based on a premise that I never thought would work on a big screen, but would do well as a pure-action cartoon.

The hatred by each character of their own individual identities is something that can work to portray an individual like Spider-Man, and that plus the guilt suffered every day by Mr. F for getting them all into their "predicament" worked okay in a monthly or quarterly comic. But, onscreen, it can't come across as anything but whiny and maudlin.

I don't think it will ever be a compelling big-screen subject like 'The Avengers.'

Fantastic Four has great potential as a movie. Unlike The Avengers, or X-Men, the FF are united as a family, and not just by circumstance. They might bicker, but it's family bickering.

That dynamic wasn't really explored in either FF movie so far and I am already cringing at the endless "brother from another mother" style jokes that are coming with opposite race Sue and Johnny Storm.

The other FF movies also completely wussified and screwed up the 2nd best Marvel villain ever, Dr. Doom. There's a lot in FF that would work. Unfortunately, Fox is doing none of those things.